Go Over On Carbs?

Options
Basically, I am under calories by roughly 200 / 300 today but already over on carbs by 5.
Question is, what is it best to do... leave it and be until tomorrow?
Or just eat most of my remaining calories and go over on carbs? Will going over on carbs hinder my weight loss?
Exercise is not an option at the moment as the weather in England is TERRIBLE! Snow and ice everywhere!
Thanks in advance!
Opal

Replies

• mamastuck
    Options
    Girl turn on some music and DANCE excercise is always an option!
  • emersoam
    emersoam Posts: 179
    Options
    Yeah, I live in Minnesota/Wisconsin (border town)...it's like zero windchill today. Weather cannot be an excuse! I was on my stationary bike at 4:30 am and will be taking a quick walk with my dog this afternoon (buddled up). Most likely, i'll be doing some walking on my treadmill later today as well.

Do whatever you can each day...even if it isn't "ideal."

I wouldn't worry about carbs that much either. Calories are more important.
  • amstein18
    Options
    *i'm not an expert so don't hold me to this but....... Carbohydrates contain 4 calories per gram so I'd leave 20 calories for the day if you are over by 5 carbs. i could be totally wrong with this method haha but whenever i'm over on carbs that's what i do & so far so good.
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I agree--dance!!

If you're hungry, eat some fruit, otherwise I'd just close the log for today. It shouldn't hinder your weight loss if you're over on carbs, especially if you balance over the long-run.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Dance, run up and down stairs, do cardio intervals (burpees/jacks/jump rope/punches/star jumps)...anything. No excuses. I workout a lot from home now and manage to get it decent burns and workouts nearly every day.

ETA: going over on carbs won't kill you. Your cals are low for the day, I just saw. So eat some more calories...go for protein. But watch out for all the processed food you're eating...in the long run, it won't help. Fruits and veggies are your friend.
  • Mrbackslap
    Options
    Carbs are not bad and what really matters is your overall calorie intake.
    And if your working out even better, you'l have more energy.
  • Loseittoo
    Loseittoo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Basically, I am under calories by roughly 200 / 300 today but already over on carbs by 5.
    Or just eat most of my remaining calories and go over on carbs? Will going over on carbs hinder my weight loss?
    Exercise is not an option at the moment as the weather in England is TERRIBLE! Snow and ice everywhere!
    Thanks in advance!
    Opal

Going over on carbs will not hinder your weight loss. It the calories that matter.

I don't pay any attention to carbs or any of that. I have steadily lost. I have lost 178lbs. There are days I go over on carbs, fat what ever. Its the calories that matter.
  • HealthyishWithMaggieG
    Options
    How are you for fat grams for the day? Have some meat of some kind... tuna? turkey?

And, yeah, turn on the music and dance. Since you're online, check out my Internet radio station... www.ultimatevarietyradio.com. I play all kinds of music that'll get you movin'.

There's always situps, pushups, squats and stuff like that too.

If worst comes to worst, you could do an extra deep cleaning around the house too. (I hate cleaning, so I count it as exercise, for sure!)
  • Uptopargolf
    Options
    I tend to disagree.. Of course it is ok to go over on carbs, every now and than. Going over a bit is not going to kill. But what did you go over with? Did you eat lots of fruit? Or was it cake and cookies?

Yes calories is the only thing you're body cares about when losing weight.. However you're body also cares where it gets its energy from. If you over eat carbs on a daily bases, even while staying lower on calories you are not maximizing you're fat burn, because you're body will have plenty of carbs to use for energy as opposed to burning you're fat.

But don't go over day after day. Yes you need carbs for energy, but as a general rule of thumb, people eat to many carbs.

As for what you can eat the rest of the day.. baked chicken is high in protein, low in calories and has 0 carbs!
  • lukasmac
    lukasmac Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I tend to disagree.. Of course it is ok to go over on carbs, every now and than. Going over a bit is not going to kill. But what did you go over with? Did you eat lots of fruit? Or was it cake and cookies?

Yes calories is the only thing you're body cares about when losing weight.. However you're body also cares where it gets its energy from. If you over eat carbs on a daily bases, even while staying lower on calories you are not maximizing you're fat burn, because you're body will have plenty of carbs to use for energy as opposed to burning you're fat.

But don't go over day after day. Yes you need carbs for energy, but as a general rule of thumb, people eat to many carbs.

As for what you can eat the rest of the day.. baked chicken is high in protein, low in calories and has 0 carbs!

the above is quite correct... your body looks for carbs to burn first before it turns to your fat. how are you on your protein. do you have a chicken breast you can grill?
  • cbaumez
    Options
    Exercise will burn those carbs right off. Your body will burn carbs for energy first before your body fat. I have a diabetic in the family and I am always carb consious. In the future, if you want to lose weight faster keep your protein higher than your carb count especially if you exercise regularly.
  • Uptopargolf
    Options
    Exercise will burn those carbs right off. Your body will burn carbs for energy first before your body fat. I have a diabetic in the family and I am always carb consious. In the future, if you want to lose weight faster keep your protein higher than your carb count especially if you exercise regularly.

I wish everyone thought this way :) hahahah. It is rare to hear people talk about high protein, low carb on MFP. Don't get me wrong, I love carbs as much as the next guy. But I'd rather be in shape.
  • cbaumez
    Options
    It really depends on what you prefer and what works for you. Whatever diet you are on...low fat, low cal or low carb, food substitutes one for the other. If you stick to a low calorie diet the calories will be replaced with higher carbs or fat, if you stick to a low carb diet the carbs are replaced with higher calories or fat, ect.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    First of all, realize that there are actually ranges our bodies like to be in not set numbers. So, say you are set at 55% carbs (what I've seen as standard for MFP) but you go over by 5 grams of carbohydrate, that still isn't going to put you over the range of carbs that is considered the Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Range, which is actually 45-65%. And some people function better on higher carbs then even the AMDRs, while others prefer lower carb ranges. Personally, I'm a high carb person. I haven't taken the time to figure my percentages lately, but in the past I've found I lose weight faster and maintain my muscle mass more when I'm at 70-80% carbs. So, basically, don't stress it.

As for the calories being interchangeable, or you can't burn fat when you consume a lot of carbs, those are both false. Nutritional science is a lot more complicated then that. And so is the energy sources of the body. Basically, you burn a combination of carbs, protein, and fat no matter what exercise you do. When you do high intensity, short duration exercise, you burn a higher percentage of carbs. When you do a low intensity, long duration workout, you burn a higher percentage of fat. Protein stays the same unless you don't have enough carbs. If you don't eat enough carbs, then the body breaks down it's protein stores (IE Muscle) to convert them to carbs so that they can be used to provide fuel for activity. In order to get to the stage of the process that burns fat, you have to breakdown carbs to provide some of the necessary components for the chemical reaction to be able to burn fat. Protein isn't actually necessary for the process and is only used in place of carbs if you don't have enough carbohydrate. Thats actually one of the problems with low carb diets. By not having the carbs, you don't have all of the protein you are eating to be able to build muscle, so it ends up being more catabolic (breaking down of muscle) then anabolic (building up of muscle). Carbohydrates are actually considered an anabolic ergogenic aid because they allow the protein to be used for muscle building instead of energy production and they are stored in the muscles so they can increase muscle size (appearance) by being stored there with the water it takes to store them.
  • ClaireElanB
    ClaireElanB Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You need more protein!!! Protein that doesnt have carbs - like eggs & cheese! Have some Quiche or an omelette!
  • Uptopargolf
    Options
    First of all, realize that there are actually ranges our bodies like to be in not set numbers. So, say you are set at 55% carbs (what I've seen as standard for MFP) but you go over by 5 grams of carbohydrate, that still isn't going to put you over the range of carbs that is considered the Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Range, which is actually 45-65%. And some people function better on higher carbs then even the AMDRs, while others prefer lower carb ranges. Personally, I'm a high carb person. I haven't taken the time to figure my percentages lately, but in the past I've found I lose weight faster and maintain my muscle mass more when I'm at 70-80% carbs. So, basically, don't stress it.

As for the calories being interchangeable, or you can't burn fat when you consume a lot of carbs, those are both false. Nutritional science is a lot more complicated then that. And so is the energy sources of the body. Basically, you burn a combination of carbs, protein, and fat no matter what exercise you do. When you do high intensity, short duration exercise, you burn a higher percentage of carbs. When you do a low intensity, long duration workout, you burn a higher percentage of fat. Protein stays the same unless you don't have enough carbs. If you don't eat enough carbs, then the body breaks down it's protein stores (IE Muscle) to convert them to carbs so that they can be used to provide fuel for activity. In order to get to the stage of the process that burns fat, you have to breakdown carbs to provide some of the necessary components for the chemical reaction to be able to burn fat. Protein isn't actually necessary for the process and is only used in place of carbs if you don't have enough carbohydrate. Thats actually one of the problems with low carb diets. By not having the carbs, you don't have all of the protein you are eating to be able to build muscle, so it ends up being more catabolic (breaking down of muscle) then anabolic (building up of muscle). Carbohydrates are actually considered an anabolic ergogenic aid because they allow the protein to be used for muscle building instead of energy production and they are stored in the muscles so they can increase muscle size (appearance) by being stored there with the water it takes to store them.

Not saying you are wrong here on any of these, however;

Low carb diets are used by body builders all the time? Lower the carbs enough to get into ketosis (where the body burns fat stores for energy instead of carbs) and up the protein to maintain muscle mass?

Of course you will need tons of protein to keep the muscle. However isn't it science that say you're body will be in ketosis when carbs are low enough? I understand that for a diabetic person, this can be very dangerous, but for everyone else not such a bad thing?

I am not trying to prove you wrong, just stating my understanding of it. I am always keeping an open mind.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

Not saying you are wrong here on any of these, however;

Low carb diets are used by body builders all the time? Lower the carbs enough to get into ketosis (where the body burns fat stores for energy instead of carbs) and up the protein to maintain muscle mass?

Of course you will need tons of protein to keep the muscle. However isn't it science that say you're body will be in ketosis when carbs are low enough? I understand that for a diabetic person, this can be very dangerous, but for everyone else not such a bad thing?

I am not trying to prove you wrong, just stating my understanding of it. I am always keeping an open mind.

Ketosis is dangerous for anyone. It is actually a state of acidity in the body and the tissues of the body can't survive if they aren't in pH balance. Only certain tissues are capable of survival in acidic states. For example, the stomach produces hydrochloric acid, but as soon as the HCl from the stomach moves up into the esophagus, you have heart burn. If it goes up into the esophagus too much you end up with an ulcer from the acidity literally eating away the tissues.

As for bodybuilders, you have to understand what they are training for in using a high protein low carb plan. They are training for look, not performance. In the off season, they are eating plenty of carbs and bulking up. Then before shows is when they go really low carb so that they cut water weight to make their vascularity show. (Carbs are stored with water, so not consuming them will mean not storing them or the water that goes with them.) At the point that they are on stage posing, they are as weak as kittens. They certainly couldn't perform any max lifts or even 5 minutes of cardio. As individuals, we don't typically train for that, but rather for health and better performance, which requires carbs.

Another thing to consider is the fact that when protein is consumed, the nitrogen has to be cleaved off before it can be used by the body. That nitrogen is then sent to the liver and converted to urea to be shipped to the kidneys and removed from the body. If you have an issue with defective kidneys, or even with normal kidneys but excessively high protein intake, you can have issues with urea build up in the body. The yellow tinge to sweat that some people on high protein diets have is actually urea being excreted through the pores. If too much urea builds up in the body, it can cross the blood brain barrier and cause death. More research still needs to be done to find out what that upper level limit is, but it is unknown as of right now. Personally, while I plan to do research in similar topics for my doctorate, I don't want to personally be the one to test a high protein diet on because I can clearly see the risks. ;-)
  • Mrbackslap
    Options
    On low carb diets you lose muscle cause without enough carbs your body will look for it and use that precious protein you talk about.
    I'm soo done with the protein fanatics there minds will never change.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Thanks in advance!
    Opal

Going over on carbs will not hinder your weight loss. It the calories that matter.

I don't pay any attention to carbs or any of that. I have steadily lost. I have lost 178lbs. There are days I go over on carbs, fat what ever. Its the calories that matter.

+1 million. In fact, it's better to vary the amounts of macronutrients you eat from day to day.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    As for bodybuilders, you have to understand what they are training for in using a high protein low carb plan. They are training for look, not performance. In the off season, they are eating plenty of carbs and bulking up. Then before shows is when they go really low carb so that they cut water weight to make their vascularity show. (Carbs are stored with water, so not consuming them will mean not storing them or the water that goes with them.) At the point that they are on stage posing, they are as weak as kittens. They certainly couldn't perform any max lifts or even 5 minutes of cardio. As individuals, we don't typically train for that, but rather for health and better performance, which requires carbs.

+1 on this as well. Bodybuilders give up a lot for the sake of looking strong. Ironically, one of the things they give up (for show season) IS being strong.