Chronic Pain and the food exercise battle

Options
I have chronic migraines. I have tried everything to get rid of them and will be on my last resort which is possible surgery soon. THat is beside the point. My migraines happen 22-28 days a month and between the pain and the meds working out is very difficult. WHen I exercise during a headache the migraine gets worse. If I take meds I barely have the energy to exercise. On top of that when I have a bad headache I just want to eat.

I know I can lose weight in spite of the pain but would love to talk to others that understand chronic pain. Sometimes I feel like if I say I have a headache, people respond with "again"?!?!? Yes again….it feels awful to hear that. I cannot help it. I think people do not understand seeing someone that looks healthy but feels like crap on a stick!

Replies

• wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I do not have chronic migraines, but I do have plantar fasciitis. A very painful foot issue. Having the extra weight on does not help this problem either. People have always told me to walk for exercise... When I explain to them I can't, they always thought it was an excuse not to exercise. They didn't understand the amount of pain that goes along with it. I already am on my feet 8 hours a night on a cement floor. By the time I get done there, the last thing my feet can handle is a walk.

I have found another type if exercise that has really helped me is swimming. It is a great cardio workout and keeps the weight off the feet. They still hurt to walk on them, but during swimming, I am weightless so to speak, so it is much better. I do an hour of swimming and then relax in the hot tub for 10 minutes :)

Perhaps a different type of exercise may not aggravate your migraines?

Best of luck to you!
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I don't want to discourage you from using MFP for weight loss and fitness goals, it really works! But I have found that searching for other sites for specific health problems was more helpful. Don't leave MFP, stay logging but also do a search for people who get migraines. Sometimes MFP is not enough for specific health issues.
  • bethkeysear
    bethkeysear Posts: 28 Member
    Options

I have found another type if exercise that has really helped me is swimming. It is a great cardio workout and keeps the weight off the feet. They still hurt to walk on them, but during swimming, I am weightless so to speak, so it is much better. I do an hour of swimming and then relax in the hot tub for 10 minutes :)

Best of luck to you!

It really is all exercise, but I push through it often. Swimming would be great for you! Do you do any swim aerobics? I find that some of those classes are a great workout! What about an exercise bike? Does that hurt you too? I love the machine that is like an elliptical but sitting down.
  • TrishaLeighNelson
    TrishaLeighNelson Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Mu husband got his medical marijuana card for migraines, it really helped him and he still had the energy to workout an hour+ a day. Medibles helped the most and gave him more energy than smoking
  • bethkeysear
    Options
    Medical marijuana is supposed to be legal here now but I have not spoken to my doctor about it. I am going to start at a headache clinic where they do test shots of botox and to discover if surgery is an option.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I don't have migraines, but i work with someone who really used to suffer from them. She tried drugs, chiropractors, acupuncture, nothing worked. Until she went and got botox. Not a migraine since. And she had them most days.
  • cassie77775
    cassie77775 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't have migraines but have arthritis(at 29!) and exercise is painful a lot of times. I try to focus mainly on diet and ill walk so e.
  • bethkeysear
    Options
    It is not about hydration. It stems from pain in my neck and back. Ive had them since I was a kid. They seem weather related. I am going to be trying the botox thing next month. I am super excited!
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options

Best of luck to you!

It really is all exercise, but I push through it often. Swimming would be great for you! Do you do any swim aerobics? I find that some of those classes are a great workout! What about an exercise bike? Does that hurt you too? I love the machine that is like an elliptical but sitting down.

Sorry you haven't found anything that works for you yet, don't give up. I don't do any swim aerobics, just swim laps for the most part. I've tried the bike thing and was bored stiff. I really enjoy the swimming, so I want to stay focused on that for now. I don't want exercise to become something I hate. Hang in there, you will find something that works for you!