Hungry after breakfast

Options

Replies

• mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    My typical breakfast is a packet of weight loss oatmeal, 1/2 cup peaches or pears, 1 TBSP of flax seed.

Within an hour or hour and half I'm hungry again.

That is like 225 calories for breakfast. Any ideas on something that is about the same calories but more filling or sustaining?

I'm trying to get that last 15 lbs and it is becoming harder and harder to do.

What time do you eat breakfast? I have like 3 breakfasts some days...spread out from 7am-10am. I eat something like a banana (something small but filling) before lunch .. that way I eat less at lunch ... then have a snack before heading home for the day.

^^ Some days I have 1 and it lasts ... just depends on what you are eating. But there is another option if you cant always eat a huge breakfast in the morning to last you!
  • MarKayDee
    Options
    I hate breakfast, I just... I just hate breakfast.

Most days I have some manner of toast with either Nutella (if I'm just having toast) or avocado (if I am making eggs for my little guy that I will share)
    Special days I make pancakes, but I have yet to make a satisfying amount of them for less than 400 calories.
  • Domane1963
    Domane1963 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Every meal should always be at least 400 calories..... the idea behind this is that 400 (healthy!) calories should be enough to keep your body going until the next meal.... regardless of what your emotional stomach tells you!!! ;)
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I love breakfast and usually eat 300-350 calories. Always a high-fiber carb, a serving of a protein, and a fat serving. Today I had an egg, breakfast bread toast with a teaspoon of butter, an apple, and a cup of milk. It holds me a good 4 hours. If I had only cereal (hot or cold) or pancakes/waffles, I would be starving in 2 hrs. Oh, I also do coffee - mainly black. And a glass of water. The liquid helps with the full feeling.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Eat more, my breakfast is always at least 400 calories.
  • fittyinthemaking
    fittyinthemaking Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    you could try something savory instead of sweet? i usually have a poached egg on a slice of wholemeal/weight watchers bread with 2 turkey rashers or a slice of bacon and a few grilled mushrooms, keeps me feeling satisfied for a few hours
  • WannabeStressFree
    WannabeStressFree Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    this is my brakfast which keeps me pretty full

1/2 c oats
    1 Tb Chia seeds
    1 Tb dried cranberries
    1 Tb raw sunflower seeds
    cinammon
    unsweetened almond mill

It's over 400 calories, but very filling and healthy. Maybe you might need to raise calories? Or have a mid morning snack.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal typically doesn't fill me up either. I need some protein. Heck the only times I'm not hungry 3 hours after breakfast are when I make my protein pancakes anyway. But it's worse if I don't eat it, so...
  • DrLainey
    DrLainey Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    In an hour and a half when you again are hungry, eat something. Maybe some more fruit or another packet of oatmeal. I do better when I "graze" all day than when I eat three meals.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    For the oats, you can pre-make them...

Mmmm that recipe sounds good right now.

Thanks! It is soooo yummy!
  • FitMelody4Life
    FitMelody4Life Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I agree with skipping breakfast as I am just as hungry around the same times weather I eat it or not. I just drink coffee, water, and tea until it’s time for me to eat.

However, if you are a breakfast person and would like to continue using your weight loss oatmeal here is something I used (it sounds weird but trust me it’s actually good):

Shred half to a whole zucchini (depending on size) and mix it in with your oatmeal packet, then add water (you will need less water because of the water in the zucchini)

Then flavor as you like, Zucchini is a very bland vegetable that will take on the taste of whatever you mix it with. I generally like to add apples and cinnamon and a packet of stevia.

The added volume will allow you to eat more with very few added calories and the fiber from the vegetable will keep you fuller longer. I am also in agreement about the protein though, throw 1/2 a cup of egg whites in there or even a whole egg.
  • dieter1200
    dieter1200 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    3/4 cup raisin bran & 1/2 cup milk
  • clfhanger
    clfhanger Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I find eggs pretty filling for breakfast!
  • ldarlener
    ldarlener Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    The weight loss oatmeal is because I eat it at work. And I can zap it in the micorwave.
    I'm thinking the protein is a good idea.
    Maybe boil up some eggs and take them in to work.
    Or scramble some.
  • ldarlener
    Options
    That crock pot oatmeal sounds good. Does it taste like sweet potatoess? I do not like sweet potatoes.
  • ldarlener
    Options
    I normally eat breakfast at about 8:30 or 9:00 AM.
    I wake up between 5:30 and 6:30.
    I can't eat for about 2 hours.
    But if I wait much longer, my sugar starts to drop and i get weak and dizzy.
    I will try the more protein thing and see if that helps.

Thank you all so much. I got some great ideas.
    Crock pot oatmeal, egg white and spinach scramble. among others.
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Breakfast makes me more hungry throughout the day so I skip it. Instead I will have an early lunch around 11 or wait until after my workout at 2pm to eat. Breakfast is not necessary.

If you would like to continue eating a morning meal I would suggest:

6 egg whites
    .5 serving of shredded cheese
    40g of old fashioned oatmeal

This was my go-to for years and will keep you feeling full longer than just eating carbs.

Google Leangains or 16/8 Intermittent fasting if you'd like to read more about skipping breakfast.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    try high fiber oatmeal and an apple. both have a good amount of fiber that keeps you full longer. Also planning on a mid morning snack helps. I eat at 7, snack at ten, eat noon, snack at three, eat six, and snack at 9 and then go to bed (eventually). it helps me to eat often and to drink lots of water in between meals and with my meals. you could add some protein to your breakfast. like an egg. I aim for protein and fiber to keep my satisfied
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    For most of my life I ate breakfast, and it always seemed like I was ravenous shortly after.

Now I don't eat breakfast, and I don't seem to get hungry until early afternoon. It's the bee's knees.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^same I eat when I feel hungry which is generally between noon and 2pm.

However when I did eat breakfast I found eggs to be the most satisfying.

If your eating at work and only have access to a microwave - that's cool.

At my work I some times have eggs for lunch and microwave them. You can either scramble or poach them in the microwave.

Hope you find something that satisfied????