Best fruits?

Options
What are the best fruits to eat when trying to lose weight? Quantities? Grapefruit is not an option because of the juice.

Replies

• callumburnett
    callumburnett Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Banana - around 100 kcals per fruit and very filling.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I have never had any issues eating fruit and losing weight, as long as I did not go over my calories, or eat purely fruit.
    I have stuck to fruits I enjoy, which are apples, clementines, pears, bananas and grapes.
    Some say berries are the best as they have a lower sugar content or somesuch. I used to have blueberries or blackberries with Greek yoghurt as a dessert for a time.
  • aless820
    aless820 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    @callum: I love bananas but here at school they're not always the best looking. I try and take 3 when they're nice a green so they ripen on my desk!

@Grael: Ok I've heard so many things about how some fruits are bad because of sugars and whatnot, like some you should limit. But that's great that you've never had a problem. How much fruit did you usually eat in a day?
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Frozen banana slices even! There's not any fruits I don't eat but it's typically by season. Lots of berries in the warmer months, apples, orange, tomatoes, mango (mm!)...

Are you specifically looking for lower sugar fruits, ones higher in fiber or?

There's some great lists if you Google whichever topic you're looking to learn about specifically... berries are most listed as nutritious and lowest in fruit and also great in fiber.:love:
    All fruits are fine for weight loss.

Some fruits are low glycemic, some fruits are high glycemic.

Low glycemic fruits include berries, cherries, grapefruit, prunes, apricots, apples, pears, peaches, plums, oranges.
    Medium glycemic fruits include mangos, bananas, papayas, kiwis, cantaloupes, pineapple.
    High glycemic fruits include watermelon and dates.

Great, thank you!
    Wow, she gave you the best answer yet!! :happy: I too appreciate you listing the lows to highs on fruit, thanks!!:drinker:
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Low glycemic fruits include berries, cherries, grapefruit, prunes, apricots, apples, pears, peaches, plums, oranges.
    Medium glycemic fruits include mangos, bananas, papayas, kiwis, cantaloupes, pineapple.
  • aless820
    Options
    Frozen banana slices even! There's not any fruits I don't eat but it's typically by season. Lots of berries in the warmer months, apples, orange, tomatoes, mango (mm!)...

Are you specifically looking for lower sugar fruits, ones higher in fiber or?

There's some great lists if you Google whichever topic you're looking to learn about specifically... berries are most listed as nutritious and lowest in fruit and also great in fiber.:love:
    Just looking for weight loss in general! I just started to try and lose weight last week so I still have no idea what kind of life change I want.
  • aless820
    Options

Great, thank you!
  • AngelAura777
    AngelAura777 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I think any fruit is fine as long as your macros are in check. Fruit is natural and contains tons of nutrients and the sugars stop me from craving refined sugar so I always eat fruit. Custard apple or soursop is one of my favourites its so yummy and its one of the best fruits for combating cancer. I get it whenever the local fruit shop has it in stock. Pomegranates are also yummy too and are a great snack alternative to junky nibblies.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I lost all my weight, made my goal, and have maintained for over a year by eating grapefruit, clementines, oranges, bananas, apples, grapes, cherries, pineapple, cantaloupe, pears, and peaches. All good. . . full of vitamins and fiber. I just make sure to log it and stay in my calorie goal.
  • aless820
    Options
    I think any fruit is fine as long as your macros are in check. Fruit is natural and contains tons of nutrients and the sugars stop me from craving refined sugar so I always eat fruit. Custard apple or soursop is one of my favourites its so yummy and its one of the best fruits for combating cancer. I get it whenever the local fruit shop has it in stock. Pomegranates are also yummy too and are a great snack alternative to junky nibblies.

Thanks so much!
  • aless820
    Options
    I lost all my weight, made my goal, and have maintained for over a year by eating grapefruit, clementines, oranges, bananas, apples, grapes, cherries, pineapple, cantaloupe, pears, and peaches. All good. . . full of vitamins and fiber. I just make sure to log it and stay in my calorie goal.

Thanks so much! It's all fair game then!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I usually have 1 or 2 fruits a day. Currently it is an apple and a banana.
    I was having 4 clementines during December and January, got a taste for them.
    Before, I would have a really huge pear after dinner.
  • aless820
    Options
    I usually have 1 or 2 fruits a day. Currently it is an apple and a banana.
    I was having 4 clementines during December and January, got a taste for them.
    Before, I would have a really huge pear after dinner.
    Great! I love all of those, just not easy access to pears right now
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Strawberries blackberries . Envy apples. Jazz apples. Peaches that come from palisade Colorado. Tomato.
  • clfhanger
    clfhanger Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I don't limit any fruits, but I limit how much of it I eat because of the sugar. Normally I have 1-2 servings a day. I try to have a variety--right now I have oranges, kiwi, mangoes, blueberries and strawberries in my kitchen.
  • dysonspacz
    dysonspacz Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself this... Have you ever heard of a person getting fat from eating too much fruit?
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Another fruit lover chiming in-I eat tons and tons of fruit, at minimum an apple (I like Braeburns as they're tart and crispy) and an organic banana every day, sometimes two of each of those, mandarins, grapes if they're nice, and other fruits depending on season, etc. I also eat dried apple slices sometimes. I think as long as your within your calories and trying to eat relatively balanced, it's fine, unless you're diabetic in which case you would want to stick to low GI fruits and limit the amount. I'll eat sliced apple with almond butter, put a banana in my cereal, things like that. Bit of carb, bit of fat, and try and get some protein in too.
  • DannPM31
    Options
    I make an banana shake every morning. 8 Bananas and 1/2 liter of coconut water. It's amazing and LOADS of potassium.
  • aless820
    Options
    Ask yourself this... Have you ever heard of a person getting fat from eating too much fruit?
    I know I won't gain weight but it certainly could have an affect on my results. There's a ton of sugar,
  • aless820
    Options
    Another fruit lover chiming in-I eat tons and tons of fruit, at minimum an apple (I like Braeburns as they're tart and crispy) and an organic banana every day, sometimes two of each of those, mandarins, grapes if they're nice, and other fruits depending on season, etc. I also eat dried apple slices sometimes. I think as long as your within your calories and trying to eat relatively balanced, it's fine, unless you're diabetic in which case you would want to stick to low GI fruits and limit the amount. I'll eat sliced apple with almond butter, put a banana in my cereal, things like that. Bit of carb, bit of fat, and try and get some protein in too.

That's a big help, thank you!