Women only! Seriously though...

Options
2»

Replies

• JulieTX86
    Options
    Could be...I would ask my Dr. about it.

I know the hormones in those things can do more harm than good. I gained 100lbs on the Depo Shot.

I did depo once, gained 30lbs in 3 months, but lost those 30lbs over the next 3 months since I didn't get the shot again. That was HORRIBLE. I will never do that shot again.
  • JulieTX86
    Options
    I can't comment on the weight gain/loss part of the Nuva Ring; however, I can say that I stopped using it after only about 2 months. My 2-year-old found it on our bedroom floor one day and brought it to me thinking she had found a bracelet! My husband and I were "together" the night before and it apparently came out!!!! Needless to say, I stopped using it immediately and started with a different type of BC.

I was on the Depo Shot for a little less than a year and I gained major weight! While loved how reliable it was, I wasn't impressed with the weight gain.

Good luck to you!!!

:laugh: That happened to my co-worker too. She got a phone call from her boyfriend. "uhhhh, I think you left something at my house".... Funny stuff... not so funny if a child is finding it though. It's scary that one cannot even tell it came out. Yikes!
  • iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Non hormonal is the only bc i can use. I have a coper iud and love the crap out of it. I've had it in for 2 years and im taking it out to tie my tubes only. I love this silly thing. No side effects and low maintenance. Like no. love it!
  • givprayz
    givprayz Posts: 328
    Options
    I'm a nurse midwife, and I always tell patients that every body handles BC differently, and what works great for one person will be all wrong for another. On average, progestin only BC like the implants and Depo cause more weight gain and bloating than combos like Nuva and pills, but these cause it in some women as well. Picking a BC is about balancing the good and the bad for each individual. A little bloating might be a fair trade for the convenience of only thinking about your BC once a week or once a month, or it might not be. Some women can't tolerate IUD's, while I love mine. I can't tolerate the emotional/psychological effects of progestin only products, other women swear by them. Keep in mind that while the hormones are "artificial", they have been found to be protective against uterine cancers, but increase risks for gallbladder issues and cardio-vascular risks, especially in smokers.
    Now that everything is as clear as mud, do what you need to do, but after consultation with your doctor or nurse practitioner/nurse-midwife.
  • Jbwilson0708
    Options
    use a different BC!! I got pregnant using Nuva Ring! I don't trust it at all! I LOVE my son and find him to be one of the biggest blessings in my life, but when it comes to BC, I would stick with the pill.

lol I got pregnant on the pill and on the depo shot (not at the same time of course) two best "oops" of my life!
    now I have an IUD and I love it (1 1/2 year in so far)
    haha too funni i got pregnant with both my children while using the pill .. But definatly wouldnt change that for anything :):bigsmile:
  • AislynneRobot
    AislynneRobot Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I don;t like the Nuvaring. I always felt bloated and gassy. I had to get rid of it. I like the good ol fashioned pill
  • amg_89
    amg_89 Posts: 184
    Options
    I've been on NR for several years and yes, at first, you will notice weight gain. I did with my previous BC as well. Your body needs to get used to it IMO. Once your body gets used to it you should be able to "even out".

In studies, they show the higher the level of estrogen, the higher the weight gain. Average is usually 5-6 lbs. I guess. Estrogen causes water retention. The water retention then causes sodium retention. So if you eat a lot of salty foods, expect to gain more than that 5-6 lbs. that is the average.

I would have thought this too, but at first I didn't have any side effects, and then around 6 months, all of a sudden I started gaining weight rapidly and being bloated ALL the time. Now I know the weight gain isn't entirely due the ring, but I think it has played a large part in it, and i think it's the main reason I haven't been able to LOSE the weight because I have been so diligent with measuring my food and such and i'm so active that it really shouldn't be this difficult. :(