Breakfast like a King...

Options
"Breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, dinner like a pauper."

A very skinny friend of mine in the entertainment business has sworn by this mantra for years. I, on the other hand, maintained by perfectly overweight physique by doing the exact opposite. lol...however, even though I'm at my goal weight now I STILL hoard my calories for dinner. Today I was feeling under the weather but I've eaten 1/3 of my calories in preparation for dinner. LOL!

I guess in my mind, I wait all day to eat dinner with my hubbo and love the time I spend with him. However I'm still giving food soo much importance. I'm just not sure HOW in heaven's name I would eat so much in the morning. Anytime I eat a big breakfast, I literally have to take a midmorning nap. If I switched my dinner calories with my breakfast calories...ZONK. I'm talking healthy things too...I'm not saying a pile of pancakes and waffles exhaust me, LOL. Just having a ton of calories first thing in the day tends to wear me out! But that was in the past, I haven't tried it with my new bod...Hmmm...

Just wondered what your take was on this. Noticed someone blogged about this too and I thought...Tara...you should stop doing this...SIGH....

Replies

• Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    lol I kinda do the same thing. If I know I might have pizza or something, I hoard my sodium and drink lots of water in advance. lol I didn't know who this was until I looked at the screenname. I know people by their pictures and a picture change confused my poor little mind. haha
  • Audi68
    Audi68 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I try to split it up pretty evenly through the day, breakfast 300 cal, lunch 300 cal, dinner 400 cal, and then 200 to 300 for snacks between all of them. It took awhile to get used to eating in the morning but now I have to eat in the morning or I am starving.
  • skinnyack
    Options
    Guilty- TOTALLY eat most of my cals in the evening and a good portion *gasp* after 7 pm. A lot of this has to do with I don't workout until 630 or 7 and am not home until after 8- and now I've got a (minimum) 500 cal deficit.

As much as I hate waking up I have started working out (P90X) in the morning which has encouraged me to eat a little more during the day... only because I'm STARVING right afterwards.
  • MardellD
    Options
    okay here's my take and I may be way off but for the most part it works for me. I am 5'4" and weight 109lbs. I have a small but very curvy frame. I eat like a pig (all vegan diet) in saying that, I tend to eat over half my daily calories between breakie and a morning snack. Also I eat every 2 hours or so all day long. BIG breakie though (normally my home made granola with a pot or 4 of coffee) then fruit and nuts for a snack and I never wimp out, I get all the calories I can get. I run all day long between meetings, a 3 year old a 4 year old, 5 dogs to be walked and a company to run. So I agree with the theory personally. It took me awhile to get used to eating that much in the mornings with out feeling overful and tired, but now days that I skip/skimp on breakfast are horrid and I always always always go WAY over on cals. Just my two cents... it's worth it to eat more in the mornings
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Funny, I was just thinking about this and discussing it with some friends. I eat well all day, and I still end up with lots of cals at the end of the day, so I snack snack snack in the evenings. I know a lot of people say that it doesn't matter when you eat, but I have found in my case, it does matter. So I am working on switching this so that I follow the "King, Prince, Pauper" thing a little better instead of eating light in the morning, and then progressively eating more and more as the day goes on.
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    i like the idea and am going to go for it...makes more sense to me. the pics change is in support of no violence against children thru Dec 6--you pic a favorite toon character from your childhood..so if we look different for a few days it's in support of this project...
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    If I eat a lot at breakfast, it makes me want to eat lots throughout the whole day. So, I tend to keep my breakfasts at around 150 cals and my lunches at around 500. That gives me a bigger chunk for dinner. I seem to be pretty successful with this plan, and I have a feeling that eating a ton earlier in the day with a tiny dinner would not be something I could stick with....
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Guilty- TOTALLY eat most of my cals in the evening and a good portion *gasp* after 7 pm. A lot of this has to do with I don't workout until 630 or 7 and am not home until after 8- and now I've got a (minimum) 500 cal deficit.

As much as I hate waking up I have started working out (P90X) in the morning which has encouraged me to eat a little more during the day... only because I'm STARVING right afterwards.

My issue is similar - I work out at night. I try to eat more during the morning and day, but it's HARD, and I can't get my brain around eating more than my goal and then working out because I know I am going to burn off the excess. It's a process.
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    Do we want to start a group dedicated to eating like breakfast kings? I need the support for sure. I am, you have no idea...SO BAD, at ever EATING breakfast. I didn't even eat lunch until 2? Come on now. That was my own fault...but I kept thinking tonight is Thursday, we watch all of the NBC tv shows and have so much fun snacking and eating. Blech.

I want to go grocery shopping and pick out awesome healthy breakfast and attempt to eat this way for a month. Anyone with me?
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I can eat between 300-500 calories before 10am hits. However, I workout in the morning.

I enjoy the time that I spend with my husband as well. But beware, we can't pack away the same amount of calories per day that they can without getting fat. It is best to enjoy the company without the added calories.
  • MardellD
    Options
    TOTALLY WITH YOU TARA!! :D
  • MardellD
    Options
    crap... dual post due to my excessively slow computer :S
  • kewkdb
    kewkdb Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    "Breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, dinner like a pauper."

Just wondered what your take was on this. Noticed someone blogged about this too and I thought...Tara...you should stop doing this...SIGH....

Me personally I'm very consistent with my calories. All my meals are around 250-350.
  • Scorpiomom222
    Options
    Do we want to start a group dedicated to eating like breakfast kings? I need the support for sure. I am, you have no idea...SO BAD, at ever EATING breakfast. I didn't even eat lunch until 2? Come on now. That was my own fault...but I kept thinking tonight is Thursday, we watch all of the NBC tv shows and have so much fun snacking and eating. Blech.

I want to go grocery shopping and pick out awesome healthy breakfast and attempt to eat this way for a month. Anyone with me?

You might think of a breakfast shake instead, that way you won't be thinking of it as eating, but drinking. Take a look at my food diary. I make about a 10 oz glass of the shake. It's good and good for you. I'm thinking of cracking a couple egg whites into it, just to get some more protein into it and the protein will keep you fuller, longer.
  • kewkdb
    kewkdb Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    "Project MILF" ROFL!
  • TaraMaria
    Options

You might think of a breakfast shake instead, that way you won't be thinking of it as eating, but drinking. Take a look at my food diary. I make about a 10 oz glass of the shake. It's good and good for you. I'm thinking of cracking a couple egg whites into it, just to get some more protein into it and the protein will keep you fuller, longer.

Very good point. Okay, I've done some research, and it continues but I believe Operation Eat Like a King is about ready! LOL!

So far one of the most important things I've read is to plan your breakfasts in advance. I'm SO bad at planning my days in advance. BUT I think I could SO plan my breakfasts. Infact, THAT sounds like fun. I could fall asleep dreaming of chocolate protein shakes and scrambled eggs! :o)

Found this little tidbit "Breakfast is exactly what the name suggests - Break Fast. It’s breaking the fast your body had while you were asleep for 8 hours (or however long you normally do). It is the first meal of the day, usually eaten in the morning (assuming you slept at night). If you’ve got a twisted sleep cycle (perhaps due to working on shift, etc) and you sleep in the afternoons, then your breakfast will be the first meal you have when you wake up. Breakfast does not follow the time of the day, but your sleep cycle, and helps kick-start your metabolism levels for the day, which is crucial to weight loss."

I actually love breakfast foods. I just have to retrain my body....my old lazy body...hahaha! If you want to read a little bit more:

http://www.dailymuscle.com/2007/06/05/everyday-weight-loss-tip-6-eat-breakfast-like-a-king/
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    okay here's my take and I may be way off but for the most part it works for me. I am 5'4" and weight 109lbs. I have a small but very curvy frame. I eat like a pig (all vegan diet) in saying that, I tend to eat over half my daily calories between breakie and a morning snack. Also I eat every 2 hours or so all day long. BIG breakie though (normally my home made granola with a pot or 4 of coffee) then fruit and nuts for a snack and I never wimp out, I get all the calories I can get. I run all day long between meetings, a 3 year old a 4 year old, 5 dogs to be walked and a company to run. So I agree with the theory personally. It took me awhile to get used to eating that much in the mornings with out feeling overful and tired, but now days that I skip/skimp on breakfast are horrid and I always always always go WAY over on cals. Just my two cents... it's worth it to eat more in the mornings

Out of curiosity, how many calories does your BIG breakfast end up being? I tend to follow a similar eating pattern, small, frequent snack/meals.... first off, coffee, then breakfast, then nuts/berries, etc. But it's easy to freak out if the breakfast is over 300...
  • Scorpiomom222
    Options

Very good point. Okay, I've done some research, and it continues but I believe Operation Eat Like a King is about ready! LOL!

So far one of the most important things I've read is to plan your breakfasts in advance. I'm SO bad at planning my days in advance. BUT I think I could SO plan my breakfasts. Infact, THAT sounds like fun. I could fall asleep dreaming of chocolate protein shakes and scrambled eggs! :o)

Found this little tidbit "Breakfast is exactly what the name suggests - Break Fast. It’s breaking the fast your body had while you were asleep for 8 hours (or however long you normally do). It is the first meal of the day, usually eaten in the morning (assuming you slept at night). If you’ve got a twisted sleep cycle (perhaps due to working on shift, etc) and you sleep in the afternoons, then your breakfast will be the first meal you have when you wake up. Breakfast does not follow the time of the day, but your sleep cycle, and helps kick-start your metabolism levels for the day, which is crucial to weight loss."

I actually love breakfast foods. I just have to retrain my body....my old lazy body...hahaha! If you want to read a little bit more:

http://www.dailymuscle.com/2007/06/05/everyday-weight-loss-tip-6-eat-breakfast-like-a-king/

Eh, I would avoid the yolks, just so ya know, so that your cholesterol stays in check. Two eggs WITH the yolks put me over on cholesterol. HATE it, cuz I LOVE eggs!
  • TaraMaria
    Options
    That sounds easy enough...I really want to add fruit in the way of smoothies...I love cereal but milk hates me. Might have to try rice milk or soy.

Found some suggestions:

Some ideas for a healthy breakfast include:

* wholegrain cereal with fruit and yoghurt & green tea
    * wholegrain bread with a boiled or poached egg
    * an omelete with a bran muffin and fresh juice
    * wholegrain toast with natural nut butters
    * an English muffin topped with lean ham and fresh juice
    * wholegrain toast with fresh fruit
    * hot cereal such as oatmeal is high in fibre and low in sugar
    "We need the most energy at the beginning of the day, and the least energy at the end, when most daily tasks are over and we are relaxing. For this reason, it is wise to stick to the old adage, “Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper”. Eat according to the needs of your day. If you have an office or other sedentary jobs, eat lighter meals. If your job is more active, eat foods that provide sustained energy.

If you are very athletic and train hard, then you will need more nourishment towards the end of the day, to sustain your training needs. Always apply these principles to your own individual needs, nothing ia ever written in stone.

At lunch time, still eat a substantial meal to fuel you for the afternoon but make sure that it isn’t too heavy. A hearty soup with salad is ideal or perhaps lean meat with vegetables or salad. Essentially, it should be a medium-sized meal – smaller than breakfast but larger than dinner.

If you eat a large meal at dinner, which is traditional in most homes, weight gain can occur as the body cannot use all the energy in the food and thus stores it as fat instead. A heavy meal at dinner can also cause sleep disturbances"

I have been training a lot lately and its going to be upped even more in January for a half marathon in April. But I have a ton of calories to eat in a day and I don't even put a calorie in my mouth usually before noon. I can afford some calories. Ha ha!
  • Texsox
    Texsox Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    The problem for those of us that live with people not trying to lose weight is convincing them to follow that diet. And dropping the evening ritual of a full dinner table. I am thinking about leveling my calories a bit more. Right now they are usually 300/400/900 with 100 snacks.