would you be offended?

Options
Jennplus2
Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
Hello everyone,

As I am thinking about the holidays I am making a list of things I want to get people as gifts to avoid over spending by just looking around in stores for things they might like. I have quite a few people on my list who are very hard to shop for. One person in particular, who I am very close with and I really want to get her something nice. She has been really working hard to be healthy and I want to support her in that. So I was thinking that I could get something for her that would help her weight loss journey. Would you be offended to get something like that as a gift if you had not asked for it? I don't want her to think that I am saying she needs to lose, but I do know how much weight loss stuff can cost and it does add up fast, as well as how helpful that stuff can be.
So please let me know two things, one: if you would be offended by that kind of a gift, and two: what you would want if you got something like that as a gift.

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    If I said to you "Man I wish I could afford a medicine ball!" and you bought me one, I would be ecstatic.

If I never mentioned weight loss or exercise and you bought me one I'd hit cha upside the head :laugh:

I have a friend who exercises and discusses weight loss with me, so I would not think twice about giving or receiving this type of gift from her.

By the way, you seem like a really good friend to have :flowerforyou:
  • PrincessPudgy
    Options
    I wouldn't be offended, in fact I'd be very pleased with a gift like that. Things for weightloss and health and fitness can be expensive. What sort of thing were you thinking of buying her? Something like a Heart Rate Monitor? Maybe even get her a giftcard to a sport store - she could maybe get some good shoes or something that she really wants.
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Clean Eating Magazine subscriptions are an excellent gift. If I get someone that subscription I will also make a cookie recipe out of it (there is one online if you google clean eating chocolate cookies... they are flourless and amazing!) and put them in a cute tin with a card telling them they will receive the magazine in the mail. If you are not wanting to spend that much just do personalized healthy cookie recipes with nutritional information and a fancy recipe card.
  • SJSchwartz
    Options
    I wouldn't be offended at all if it was from a friend that already knows that I'm trying to lose weight and get healthier. In fact, I asked my husband for a HRM for christmas :)
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    If she is public about her weight loss, talks about it often, I would totally do that!! I wouldn't be offended in the LEAST bit, and I would LOVE to receive something like that for a gift!! If she is very conservative about it or doesn't say much about it, maybe it wouldn't be a great idea.
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    It depends on the type of gift, but I probably wouldn't be offended. In fact, I would love to get Zumba for Wii, a pedometer, a healthy cooking cook book, a yoga mat, a gift certificate to an athletic clothing store, or a heart rate monitor.

However, I would probably be offended if someone gave me a weight loss book or something of that nature. Things that say "fitness," "healthy," "nutrition," or "exercise" would probably be okay. Things that are labeled "weight loss," "diet," or "fat" are probably not.
  • tknuzum
    Options
    I heard on the radio this morning that if you are good friends with some one a gift should reflect what they do and how well you know them. So no I wouldn't be offended if you got me something to help me out with weightloss as long as we had been talking about it alot and know what is going on with it. If I never mentioned it it would be offensive, but not if its an open subject and discussed openly. And if thats how you know this person I say go for it.
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    it sounds like it's something she talks to you about, so if that were me, I would appreciate it and know that you have been thinking about me. some ideas are pedometers, journals, resistance bands, gift card, or maybe sign up for a class together?
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    How close a friend is it? My best friend I could give her dog poop and she would not be offended because she knows I love her. :laugh:

I agree - how open is she about her weight loss and exercising? Does she talk about DVDs she is doing, or how her morning run went? And, what are you considering? A kettle ball or something cool like that if she works out a lot is totally different than getting her a "how to control your weight" book... :wink: I'm a bit of a gym rat so if someone got me something exercise related I would love it or home weights or something, i would be ecstatic! It wouldn't necessarily be tied to me needing or not needing to lose weight, but with a hobby of mine.
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    your post indicates you have spoken about it together--i would be touched that someone supported my effort with a special choice like that. good luck with your shopping and budget--may the creative force be with you!:drinker:
  • Craig772
    Craig772 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Don't ask me, I seem to have offended every girlfriend I've ever had at some time or other by my choice of present. :noway:

I wouldn't be offended and would rather receive a voucher for a sports store. Either that or a neutral garment like sports sweater or jogging bottoms. Anything else like technology, vest tops, or shorts get quite personal in choice for me.

I'd rather give a voucher as I don't like wasting money on something that the recipient doesn't want. The only trouble with that is it could infer a lack of thought or planning.
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    It is all in how you present it. I would choose the gift, and pair it with a note telling the friend how much she means to me, and that I am proud of the changes she has made over the past year, that I am in complete support of her efforts, and this is something that I found to be wonderful, and I hope she uses it for a long time and in very good health... or something like that.

Come from the "wow! look at you get healthy" perspective instead of the "uh, you really should be doing something about that" perspective, and it should be welcomed.
  • lynne_p
    lynne_p Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned a subscription to "Clean Eating" magazine. Or a subscription to "Oxygen" would be fantastic as well. I wouldn't be offended by either.
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I bought a friend a scale once. She was thin, and in little to no need to lose weight. BUT - every time she would come to my house, she would ask where my scale was and weigh herself. She was really happy when she unwrapped it (unfortunately, some of the other people present thought it was a rude gift). But between her and I, it was perfect.

SO - No, I would not be offended - I would be happy that my friend is supporting my choice to get healthy, and if she is a close friend, she will get it

Secondly, I just asked my kids for Rocco DiSpirito’s "Now eat this", a nice (thick) exercise mat to be able to do ab work at home and not kill my tail bone on the hardwood floors (no carpet in the house unfortunately) ....

Good luck!
  • Robyn120
    Robyn120 Posts: 249
    Options
    If the weight loss journey is something this person is open about and talks about a lot then sure. I don't see why they would be offended. My friend is taking yoga in college and she kept saying she needed a yoga mat to continue with it after the semester is over so I have already told her that is exactly what she's getting for Christmas!! She is stoked :)
  • frankborelli
    frankborelli Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I agree with what "AreWeThereYet" said... another option is pricing out the item and getting a giftcard to cover it?
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    If I said to you "Man I wish I could afford a medicine ball!" and you bought me one, I would be ecstatic.

If I never mentioned weight loss or exercise and you bought me one I'd hit cha upside the head :laugh:

I have a friend who exercises and discusses weight loss with me, so I would not think twice about giving or receiving this type of gift from her.

By the way, you seem like a really good friend to have :flowerforyou:

Exactly what I was going to put...if she discusses it with you then i dont think there would be a problem
  • Christie_78
    Christie_78 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am all about gift certificates....especially if they have not specifically mentioned something they really want for their weight loss journey. I wouldn't be offended to receive a gift focused on weight loss, but it really depends on how close your connection is with this person...it sounds like you two have talked about it..so I would say go for it! It's a sweet thought, and that is what counts! :smile:
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I heard on the radio this morning that if you are good friends with some one a gift should reflect what they do and how well you know them. So no I wouldn't be offended if you got me something to help me out with weightloss as long as we had been talking about it alot and know what is going on with it. If I never mentioned it it would be offensive, but not if its an open subject and discussed openly. And if thats how you know this person I say go for it.

You heard me on the radio? That's so awesome!!!

@Jenn - I totally didn't realize that was you because of the picture! I feel silly.
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I am coming from the "wow! look at you get healthy" perspective instead of the "uh, you really should be doing something about that" perspective, and I do think it would be welcomed but I guess I just worry that it will send the wrong message. We do talk about our own weight loss journey with each other and have helped to support each other as well. But I am just really proud of her and what she is doing and don't want her to feel self-conscious or make her think that I think she needs help or to work harder or something. I was thinking that I would like a gift like that, but if she opens it and feels bad about herself because of it I would feel so mad at myself. You know what I'm saying?