I made a choice it was WRONG!

Options

Replies

• knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Look at it as a treat and move on. You can't change what you ate, but you can change what you eat.

Yes and I bet it was delish! :drinker:
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I think we might be ordering out tonight and i'm nervous. I really want a salad, but salads from restaurants are sometimes worse than a real entree lol. We'll see though. Been dying for a good greek salad.
  • liftsforchocolate
    Options
    I do this ALL the time, it really is tough. But as long as you're recognizing the mistake, you're learning from it right?

I KNOW if I buy a bunch of protein bars I will probably end up more than one. Same thing with chocolate and nut butters. I try hard to control myself but sometimes my efforts go to waste. I'm aware of the possible outcomes but sometimes I have to give in. I don't want to live the rest of my life just eating chicken and broccoli.

I know for a fact diet coke makes me crave other foods. As well as mcdonalds soft serve etc. If I really don't feel good about eating it, I'll just not eat it all. The whole moderation concept doesn't work for all foods for me YET.

Making mistakes is part of the journey, believe me. You'll know this for next time, and one day is such a tiny part of it, it doesn't even make a difference.
  • phantomjam
    phantomjam Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday!!! :flowerforyou:

Forget about yesterday. You were probably just anticipating what a wonderful day you'll have today. Don't deprive yourself. Treat yourself as you planned for your birthday.

I believe in feasts and fasts -- not strictly, more of an attitude. When there is something to celebrate it's fine to do so and at other times it's good to restrict. A birthday deserves a celebration and a little indulgence. Just don't go hog wild!

Oh yeah and dance a bit. It's fun and will burn a few calories.

Tomorrow, get back to serious business, until the next celebration.
  • dconn3114
    dconn3114 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    How can they make a crepe worth that many calories??????????????????????? Should be illegal!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

So OK I have some chicken strips and one (1) not overly big Blackberry Crepe, ok now it's real name ---which I over looked seeing only two things, “crepe (a thin pancake) and blackberries (a healthy fruit)”,--- it is a New Blackberry Sweet Cream Cheese Crepe 1440 calories for that baby (alone)

You positive that isn't for the crepe combo?

This is for the raspberry sweet cream crepe: http://www.ihop.com/menus/main-menu/featured-items/raspberry-sweet-cream-cheese-crepe-combo cause i couldn't kind the blackberry -- that is for THE WHOLE COMBO.

It's not that I don't think a crepe could possibly have 1,400 or so calories, but unless it's stuffed with meat, it ain't gonna have 51 grams of protein -- but if you ate the bacon/sauage/eggs that come with -- you probably would.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Hey, I hope you have a great birthday.

Here's a little something from me to you to help you on your way
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Don't beat yourself up about it. You can still eat all your favorite foods and more. For instance, I'm not a fan of salads, so I don't eat them. But I love ice cream/waffles/pancakes, and I make room for them in my overall diet because I can't actually imagine a life where I never ate those things. You can do the same. It just takes a little planning. :flowerforyou: And one day over your calories is not going to make you gain a single pound (unless you're 3,500 calories over).
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday! Live and learn. And enjoy your birthday. Two days does not break a healthy lifestyle.

^QFT!

For me, this is not a diet but a lifestyle change. It's important to be able to splurge occasionally then jump right back to normal eating at the next meal. If I could NEVER have a treat of some sort I wouldn't be able to sustain this.

Happy Birthday!! :flowerforyou:
  • Clint9913
    Options
    <snip>

Also, it is my practice to go online and look at a restaurant's menu before going out to eat, and selecting what I'm going to order at that point. It's easier to make a better decision when you're not rushed, not hungry, and the food and temptation is not right in front of you. Then when you get to the restaurant it's easier to go with what you already decided on than it is to make another decision.

I totally agree with using a restaurant's web menu to per-determine my choice prior to entering the establishment. I have in fact discounted possible establishments based upon what fits my eating profile. NEVER put yourself in a position to fail if at all possible. Planning is the key to success.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options

So OK I have some chicken strips and one (1) not overly big Blackberry Crepe, ok now it's real name ---which I over looked seeing only two things, “crepe (a thin pancake) and blackberries (a healthy fruit)”,--- it is a New Blackberry Sweet Cream Cheese Crepe 1440 calories for that baby (alone)

This is for the raspberry sweet cream crepe: http://www.ihop.com/menus/main-menu/featured-items/raspberry-sweet-cream-cheese-crepe-combo cause i couldn't kind the blackberry -- that is for THE WHOLE COMBO.

It's not that I don't think a crepe could possibly have 1,400 or so calories, but unless it's stuffed with meat, it ain't gonna have 51 grams of protein -- but if you ate the bacon/sauage/eggs that come with -- you probably would.

I see the blackberry and you're absolutely right! My guess is that the crepe is 500-ish tops. Yay! Happy birthday OP! :)
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

I see the blackberry and you're absolutely right! My guess is that the crepe is 500-ish tops. Yay! Happy birthday OP! :)

Happiest of birthdays OP.
  • davidrip1
    davidrip1 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    The iHop i frequent has the calories of evey meal listed on the menu. Makes it convenient to make a good decision.
  • RivenV
    Options

http://www.ihop.com/menus/main-menu/featured-items/-/media/ihop/PDFs/nutritionalinformation.ashx

I agree. Chicken and waffles = 1040 calories. The waffle portion is 400 calories by itself, so that means all of the chicken strips are a total of 640 calories. I assume there are about 3 strips, so each one is ~213 calories.

I also could not find the blackberry crepes in the nutrition info, but the blueberry crepes combo is listed at 1180. The blueberry combo is just like the blackberry one in that they both come with a side of bacon, links, hashbrowns, and eggs. Oof. No way that single crepe is over a grand in calories just by itself.
    http://www.ihop.com/menus/main-menu/crepes/blackberry-sweet-cream-cheese-crepe-combo
    Consider this: 2 eggs, hashbrowns, 2 bacon strips, and 2 links comes out to ~850 calories, per their website info. So of the ~1200 calorie crepe combo, about 850 of that is stuff you didn't have. I'd estimate the crepe to be about 350-400 calories...ish.

So, if you only had one chicken strip (rounding up to 250 for margin of error) and one crepe (middle of the road 375), your brinner was only about 625 calories. That's nothing to feel badly about. Especially if you got to have a delicious blackberry crepe. :love:
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Interesting tidbit: studies have shown that the mere PRESENCE of healthy options on a menu leads people to feel more confident in selecting the unhealthy items. It's why McDonalds heavily advertises their salads, which aren't a big seller - it leads to more sales of their other products. Resist the marketing!

I never knew this^^^ but I appreciate the info. Knowledge is power. It does explain things like <500 menu or "healthy" options at places like Applebee's.

Really, if you look at a nutrition chart, McDonalds salads, oatmeal, etc., isn't really that "healthy." It is McDonalds after all. I haven't gone to McDonalds in over a year, or any fast food restaurant in months, but I know that if I do, the food is unhealthy, so I just work it into my food plan. If I make the choice to eat c*** one meal, at least I'm doing it on purpose. Of course, life happens OP. I agree with the other posters that tell you to shrug it off and move on.
  • RivenV
    Options
    Interesting tidbit: studies have shown that the mere PRESENCE of healthy options on a menu leads people to feel more confident in selecting the unhealthy items. It's why McDonalds heavily advertises their salads, which aren't a big seller - it leads to more sales of their other products. Resist the marketing!

I never knew this^^^ but I appreciate the info. Knowledge is power. It does explain things like <500 menu or "healthy" options at places like Applebee's.

Really, if you look at a nutrition chart, McDonalds salads, oatmeal, etc., isn't really that "healthy." It is McDonalds after all. I haven't gone to McDonalds in over a year, or any fast food restaurant in months, but I know that if I do, the food is unhealthy, so I just work it into my food plan. If I make the choice to eat c*** one meal, at least I'm doing it on purpose. Of course, life happens OP. I agree with the other posters that tell you to shrug it off and move on.
    There is no such thing as a healthy or unhealthy food--just unhealthy diets. Pretty much any food can be included in a reasonable diet that also accounts for calories, macros, and micros. I had 20 chicken McNuggets yesterday. It was excellent workout fuel due to the spread of carbs and proteins, and I hit all of my targets with ease. I even had ice cream later in the evening. And I don't regret any of it for a single second because I'm aware that context is important when considering dietary choices.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options

http://www.ihop.com/menus/main-menu/featured-items/-/media/ihop/PDFs/nutritionalinformation.ashx

I agree. Chicken and waffles = 1040 calories. The waffle portion is 400 calories by itself, so that means all of the chicken strips are a total of 640 calories. I assume there are about 3 strips, so each one is ~213 calories.

I also could not find the blackberry crepes in the nutrition info, but the blueberry crepes combo is listed at 1180. The blueberry combo is just like the blackberry one in that they both come with a side of bacon, links, hashbrowns, and eggs. Oof. No way that single crepe is over a grand in calories just by itself.
    http://www.ihop.com/menus/main-menu/crepes/blackberry-sweet-cream-cheese-crepe-combo
    Consider this: 2 eggs, hashbrowns, 2 bacon strips, and 2 links comes out to ~850 calories, per their website info. So of the ~1200 calorie crepe combo, about 850 of that is stuff you didn't have. I'd estimate the crepe to be about 350-400 calories...ish.

So, if you only had one chicken strip (rounding up to 250 for margin of error) and one crepe (middle of the road 375), your brinner was only about 625 calories. That's nothing to feel badly about. Especially if you got to have a delicious blackberry crepe. :love:

If you scroll toward the bottom of the gigantic nutrition info listing they have, a single blueberry crepe is 520 calories and a strawberry crepe is 530 calories. The blackberry crepe will be about the same.

I love how all of us were like WTF NOT POSSIBLE. And were right about it. We've been counting calories too long :wink:
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I was hopeful it was the whole combo EXCEPT none of these sweet cream cheese filled are a set or even basic combo, YOU pick which other parts you want which are breakfast meals, like 2 eggs, hash-brown's sausage or ham or bacon or all 3... with the crepe on the side. Their plain crepes as in nothing, are 400 - 500 calories; all their fruit top crepes are over 1000 alone. I was so hopeful! But this puppy was filled full of this awesome sweet cream cheese filling, it was top with a blackberry topping more like syrup with berries and lots of whipped cream! (the size of a lg. tortilla rolled up)

You know what was really sad and shocking? this little plate of a few chicken strips and a crepe was over 2000 calories, just that one dish! My sister was shocked... this seriously goes to show how easy it is to over eat and not even know you have been doing this and even wondering how the heck the pounds are piling on!

It was delish... worth 1440? nope... but it was really good! and it is OK, I slipped and it happens, so today I am thinking ahead on how to have what I wanted to have today for my birthday without ANY guilt!

Thank you all for the birthday wishes!

here's the link http://www.ihop.com/-/media/ihop/PDFs/nutritionalinformation.ashx this shows all the items alone.
  • RivenV
    Options

If you scroll toward the bottom of the gigantic nutrition info listing they have, a single blueberry crepe is 520 calories and a strawberry crepe is 530 calories. The blackberry crepe will be about the same.

I love how all of us were like WTF NOT POSSIBLE. And were right about it. We've been counting calories too long :wink:
    Lol! I can't believe I missed that. I usually ctrl+F to find stuff, but it would not find "blackberry" anywhere on the page. Looks like my math needs a little work, but I'm glad it was at least close.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I was hopeful it was the whole combo EXCEPT none of these sweet cream cheese filled are a set or even basic combo, YOU pick which other parts you want which are breakfast meals, like 2 eggs, hash-brown's sausage or ham or bacon or all 3... with the crepe on the side. Their plain crepes as in nothing, are 400 - 500 calories; all their fruit top crepes are over 1000 alone. I was so hopeful! But this puppy was filled full of this awesome sweet cream cheese filling, it was top with a blackberry topping more like syrup with berries and lots of whipped cream! (the size of a lg. tortilla rolled up)

You know what was really sad and shocking? this little plate of a few chicken strips and a crepe was over 2000 calories, just that one dish! My sister was shocked... this seriously goes to show how easy it is to over eat and not even know you have been doing this and even wondering how the heck the pounds are piling on!

It was delish... worth 1440? nope... but it was really good! and it is OK, I slipped and it happens, so today I am thinking ahead on how to have what I wanted to have today for my birthday without ANY guilt!

here's the link http://www.ihop.com/-/media/ihop/PDFs/nutritionalinformation.ashx this shows all the items alone.

But but but I looked at that and if you look under "desserts" it lists individual fruit crepes as ~500 calories.

I am ALL for overestimating your calories a little - you eat more than you think you do, restaurants are allowed to post minimum calories in foods rather than averages, etc. But overestimations still need to be somewhat accurate overestimations... Severely undereating is just as bad as overeating. If you get ridiculously high numbers like that, try to build the recipe yourself. Plain crepe: 400 calories. Cream cheese w/ sugar: 75-100 calories. Fruit topping: 50 calories. Whipped cream: 50 calories. 600 calories max.

ETA: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
  • RivenV
    Options

But but but I looked at that and if you look under "desserts" it lists individual fruit crepes as ~500 calories.

I am ALL for overestimating your calories a little - you eat more than you think you do, restaurants are allowed to post minimum calories in foods rather than averages, etc. But overestimations still need to be somewhat accurate overestimations... Severely undereating is just as bad as overeating. If you get ridiculously high numbers like that, try to build the recipe yourself. Plain crepe: 400 calories. Cream cheese w/ sugar: 75-100 calories. Fruit topping: 50 calories. Whipped cream: 50 calories. 600 calories max.
    Exactly. I'm glad OP thinks that the crepe was delicious/decadent enough to warrant around 1,000 calories, but that simply cannot be the case (unless they're hiding half a stick of butter in it somewhere). Building the recipe from the ground up while overestimating the ingredients' calories by about 10% is a solid way of determining an approximate caloric total for the dish. Thinking that you ate >1k calories when you only had (at most) a little more than half of that is not a healthy mind set. Facts are your friend. Why do you want to punish yourself for something you didn't do?