Ladies - advice controlling pre-menstrual food cravings?

Options
For about a week before my period, I typically feel hungry all the time and get insane food cravings. Sometimes it feels almost worse than when I was pregnant! I have a really hard time controlling these cravings, until my period starts and then I am fine again. I have tried spreading out my meals by eating less per meal but more frequently during the day (6 small meals instead of 3 bigger ones), thinking that might help, when in fact it only makes it worse because then I'm more likely to binge. I try to drink more water and fluids so that my body recognizes I'm not actually hungry, but my irrational brain often speaks louder than my stomach.

Does anyone have any tips on how to control these cravings? Thanks!!

Replies

• SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Complex carbs, protein and fiber will help keep you feeling full but we all know that PMS food cravings really have nothing to do with being hungry. Increasing your magnesium intake has been shown to help some women (nuts, nut butters, brown rice, beans).

Maybe ensure your trigger foods, those you can't keep to a single portion no matter how hard you try, are not in the house that week. Keep a good supply of fruits and veggies on hand for healthier quick snacks.

I think increasing your calorie burn may be the best way to compensate for those few days when you must have salt and sugar. It'll give you more wiggle room in your diet to accommodate the extra calories and not feel like you've blown it.

Oh, and according to the Kotex website, women burn an additional 100 cals a day in the week prior to menstruation as our metabolism increases. Not sure if that's true but it sounds believable to me.
  • baileyang33
    baileyang33 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    For about a week before my period, I typically feel hungry all the time and get insane food cravings. Sometimes it feels almost worse than when I was pregnant! I have a really hard time controlling these cravings, until my period starts and then I am fine again. I have tried spreading out my meals by eating less per meal but more frequently during the day (6 small meals instead of 3 bigger ones), thinking that might help, when in fact it only makes it worse because then I'm more likely to binge. I try to drink more water and fluids so that my body recognizes I'm not actually hungry, but my irrational brain often speaks louder than my stomach.

Me 2. My best defense is to be GONE from the house! lol Be out doing something anything to get my mind off snacking. :wink:
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    All I can say is if your cycle is regular then you know when it's coming and should be aware that it's not actual hunger and plan accordingly. Don't keep the stuff you typically binge on in the house when you know it's almost time for your PMS symptoms to start and, like someone else mentioned, try to stay occupied out of the house or out of an environment where food is easily accessible.
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    No magic!! Dig in and find that self control!!

Also, avoiding high sugar, processed, salty junky food as a general rule of thumb helps reduce cravings during PMS.
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I read (or GP told me) that those cravings are from lack of essential minerals, and if you really focus on eating what your body depletes in the two weeks beforehand (green veg, nuts, lentils, lean red meat and chicken if you're not veggie) then they ease off a lot. And definitely staying off salt, sugar and alcohol will stop some of the worst urges.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I let myself have some of what I crave but in moderation. Things that I would binge on (potato chips, 5 cent candies etc) need to not be in the house but I find some things like 100 cal popcorn packs that help get me through the cravings without becoming too much of a raging *****.

I will also do a lot of light exercise to keep me busy. When I was working I would make sure to use the bathroom on the 9th floor so I had to climb stairs, walk to the other side of the floor to talk to someone instead of firing off on email. Now that I am at home I take a lot more trips around town with my daughter during those couple of PMS days.
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options

For me with cravings I set a 20 minute timer to think about why I'm craving that food and if I can substitute anything in place of that, that would be just as satisfying. Cravings go away in about 20 minutes if you can stick to the 20 minutes. Try setting timers to remind yourself it takes 20 minutes to curb a craving. Sugar free candy helps me too, or sunflower seeds with the shell. Sometimes the sucking or chewing on something helps more than the feeling I need a food.
  • 1982nmw
    Options
    I have the same problem! Now I just don't keep any "naughty" foods that I know I'll be craving in the house. I also TRY:smile: to do more strength training and about an extra 15 minutes (45 minutes instead of 30) of cardio leading up to "that time." I noticed it decreases my cravings and my cramps aren't as bad.
  • JadeBatmanMarie
    JadeBatmanMarie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was literally just about to ask this question myself!
    I find it really hard around the time of my period to keep self control between the cravings and the pains i just turn into a monster! I've only survived this months because i've been ill and it's made me lose my appetite but usually i do find it really hard. I think the lady that said finding what you like but a low cal/ healthier version of it is a good idea. It's just controlling the amount i need to watch out on! Oh and i need all shops to not let me buy ice cream at that time too haha!
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I need help with this too. Mine came over a week early this month and I was starving last night. No freaking wonder. I just want cookies and chocolate when it's this time. I tried to fit them into my goals.
  • llearningtolive
    llearningtolive Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Drinking lots of water helps lesson my PMS cravings. I still eat the foods I crave but in moderation. I make 3 cups of air popped popcorn with a little sea salt and olive oil. Then I drizzle it with an ounce of dark chocolate and a few crushed almonds. If I ignore the cravings, I'll binge on those foods and then feel really guilty for overeating. It also helps when I track my cycles, I use an Android App, called MyDays, and then plan accordingly.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I'd like to hear some good advice for this too! So far all I've got is upping my veggie consumption to help with the feeling fuller part and drinking more coffee to curb hunger more - yes I know you are supposed to avoid caffeine, but I don't. I also think a little chocolate and nuts helps too because if I say no to chocolate at that time of the month - real chocolate, I end up eating all around it until I finally get it. I also try upping my calories by a couple hundred a day that week because I think your metabolism rises a week before your period so it makes sense that you get hungrier. All these strategies help some, but man is it tough!
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Exercise hard one day (I swear it helps with cramps and lightens the period), keep and eat lots of fruit, and a little dark chocolate. I also agree with homemade popcorn and a little salt if you need something salty/crunchy.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Oh and almonds or walnuts--just measure it out!
  • djflowerz
    djflowerz Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I actually give in to my cravings at that time of the month, to an extent, to give my body what it needs. I eat dark chocolate as it's high in magnesium (I also take magnesium supplements). I try to drink soy milk at that time b/c soy is a phytoestrogen and estrogen levels are low at that time. (The rest of the month I drink almond, coconut milk, and/or cow's milk). I also try to eat lean red meat during my period to replace the iron I'm losing from bleeding. And I've read that low calcium levels contribute to PMS so I think it's perfectly fine to eat a bit more cheese or yogurt during PMS. Dark leafy greens are also a good source of calcium and iron.
  • autumnsquirrel
    autumnsquirrel Posts: 258 Member
    Options

Go crazy; it's just once a month in the grand scheme of things. I have intense cravings, and even though I spend extra time at the gym, I will have what my body is craving when I get home. I have found to take the edge off is to eat almonds; I stocked up for the Winter on Planters pumpkin spice almonds---make sure you measure the portions, though, or you might go overboard. Drink water or green tea.
  • charlicee
    Options
    If you're regular, keep those cravings out of the house that week. If you are irregular, like me (can be anywhere from 4-6 weeks, and I don't take anything to control it), load up on protein and healthy fats after a day or two into the cravings, and exercise rather than indulge!
  • PrairieSlims
    PrairieSlims Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I like air-popped popcorn with butter flavored Oliv oil, and sea salt. It is very good fiber. You can have 3 cup limit. I make a big bowl it lasts a week or more.
  • PrairieSlims
    PrairieSlims Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love my Protein shakes( not all brands are tasty). I have one after a workout as a treat. You should drink protein after your workout anyway. It is also a healthy treat for those cravings. I also have a special shake I take between meals as a snack. It tastes so good and only 110 calories.
  • phantomjam
    phantomjam Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You ARE feeling real hunger because during that time your body has a greater need for nutrients and energy which translates into calories. The trick is finding the right balance. It's a fallacy that the body needs a set number of calories each day. The body's needs fluctuate and these figures are just averages.

Nutrient dense foods that are high in fibre and minerals will contribute to less severe PMS symptoms, including cravings. Light aerobic exercise also helps to even out cravings and mood. Excessive exercise can have a negative effect.

High sodium foods are likely to cause water retention and high Glycemic Index foods may spike insulin leading to cycles of lethargy, edginess and more cravings.

For myself, I eat sweet potatoes because they cover a wide range of nutrients.
    They satisfy my craving for something sweet and are very versatile so it keeps them interesting. If I'm craving chips, I bake them into chips. If I'm feeling lazy, I boil them. If I want something with a hint of sour, I saute them with orange pegs. You get the idea.

They are high in magnesium which relaxes muscles and often will drive cravings for excessively large amounts of chocolate away. They are high in vitamin Bs which calm the nerves and help to regulate hormone production. They have a whole host of other minerals and vitamins the body can put to good use during that time of the month. Sweet potatoes are starchy so they'll provide extra calories but they are also high fibre so the energy [edit: release] will be slow and won't make my insulin go crazy.

Now, sweet potatoes may not be your thing, just try something else. The principle is basically nutrient dense, high fibre food and some exercise to help balance insulin and release some endorphins. Eat if your hungry but make choices that will sate the hunger not perpetuate it.