I've surpassed my normal "giving up" point... have you?

Options
Although I ate bad last night, I'm still very proud of myself. I started my journey January 3rd and have kept going. In the past I usually give up around week 3. I'm well past week 3 and motivated to see this through and change my life. I've lost 18 lbs already and just had to buy new smaller jeans. I'm well on my way!

When is your usual "giving up" point? Have you passed it?

Replies

• marye2021
    marye2021 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

My give up point in the past was anywhere from day 2 to six months. So far I've been at this since the end of October 2013 then slacked from Christmas to January 1st. Now I've been hitting it hard since then!
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Yes! Mine is usually a few weeks. I consider having started 2.5 years ago though and I stuck with it including maintenance for a long time. I just picked things up 2-3 weeks ago for losing that last 15 pounds and so far so good. I consider it a success so far :). Good work to you too!
  • Fab30s
    Fab30s Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I think this "giving up" point is surpassed when one understands that it is a lifestyle, for a lifetime. When you understand that you have to eat healthily and exercise for the rest of your life, then any bad day or stretch of bad days doesn't make you feel like giving up, because that's not an option. So you're just like, oh well, tomorrow's another day, life must go on.
  • Fab30s
    Fab30s Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Oh, forgot to say, great job!!! 18 pounds in 2 months? Wish my body could do that.
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Oh, forgot to say, great job!!! 18 pounds in 2 months? Wish my body could do that.

Thank you! I believe a recent medication change helped me have such a quick loss initially. I'm thankful for that. I do know it will be slower as I continue.
  • chelle8309
    chelle8309 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Mine is normally after I've lost about 3 or 4 pounds and I don't know why but I lose motivation........NOT THIS TIME THOUGH!!! 12.2 pounds lost since January 6th and I can't wait to see more pounds drop off! Congrats on your 18 pounds lost! By the way, how do you get your weight loss ticker(the little rectangle box underneath your post) to show how much weight you've lost so far?
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Mine is normally after I've lost about 3 or 4 pounds and I don't know why but I lose motivation........NOT THIS TIME THOUGH!!! 12.2 pounds lost since January 6th and I can't wait to see more pounds drop off! Congrats on your 18 pounds lost! By the way, how do you get your weight loss ticker(the little rectangle box underneath your post) to show how much weight you've lost so far?

It's in the settings. It asks if you want it in your posts.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I usually give up at 2-3 months. I started spinning out of control in January and almost gave up (started late October 2013 this time). I managed to refocus this time. I have never gotten to this point before, so I am hoping that I won't face this every 2-3 months. Although I am currently reconsidering how I am doing things.

Great job on your losses! :flowerforyou:

Edited for clarity.
  • angelycar
    angelycar Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Surprised myself as well,usually after 2 weeks I quit but av been at it 2 months and am determined to stay on even after I reach my goal,tx mfp...
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    This week, I celebrated 1 year of food and exercise tracking on MFP, but have been consistently losing weight now for 2 years. In the past, the furthest I ever got to was perhaps 6 months at most. Very much in a different place with my approach to weight management than ever before in my life combined with the valuable tool that MFP represents is what I contribute my success to.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Great job sticking with it! Don't let those bad (delicious) days and fluctuations on the scale get in your way.

My giving up points usually came within a week of starting because I didn't understand that one mistake didn't mean total failure. They're nothing more than a bump in the road. All or nothing thinking doesn't work for weight loss. I've been at this for over a year now and there are no giving up points anymore. Annoyance, impatience, and whining sometimes, yes. But mostly acceptance and determination.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever been really into losing weight the "right way" like this.

Before I was trying to exercise a lot to augment my eating habits, and one time I cut out alcohol thinking I was gaining weight from that, and in both cases I went for MONTHS trying to do it the wrong way.

I know I can stick to a plan, even if it's the "wrong" plan, so I know I can stick to this now and since I've already seen results I KNOW it's the right way to go!!
  • daniflems
    daniflems Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am currently sitting at the weight where I usually start slacking off (160 lbs 5'7" female) and it's because I seem to have a major plateau at this point that takes FOREVER to break through!! Right now I am bouncing from 157-161 lbs or so for the last 4 weeks. Recently I have upped my calories and intensified my workouts....NO SLACKING OFF THIS TIME!! Hoping to bust outta this dang plateau once and for all and make it to my goal weight of 140-145 lbs!! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!