measuring food

Options
Hi, just started yesterday on here and was wondering if there is an easier way to measure things like cheese. It's asking for ml or g, and I don't have a scale, I've tried putting in 1/2 cup grated cheese for example, but it doesn't come up that way. Not sure then if I am accurately putting in the info for the diary, thanks

Replies

• caveninit
    caveninit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problem..and purchased a cheap digital scale on Amazon. Measuring cups are not really accurate, which I found out after buying a scale. I was using measuring cups to measure cheese and thought I was safe with the half cup measurement, but when I weighed that half cup on my new scale, I realized I was eating a lot more cheese than I was logging. So much easier and more accurate to just weight everything as most of the stuff in the food data base are listed in oz or grams. If you are going to continue to use cups, you might have to do a little math to figure out the conversions for your logging. The grated cheese I just weighed was 40 grams for 1/2 cup..but there are so many different types of cheese and the weight will vary. I got tired of Googling conversions, hence my new scale purchase. Good luck!
  • 4realrose8
    4realrose8 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I think a food scale is worth the investment. I, too, got mine on Amazon.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yep, get a scale.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    For sure. Get a scale. I got mine new on eBay for $15. Weigh Max brand name.
  • seashell709
    seashell709 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    a food scale is the best investment ever. I had the same problems with out the scale. Amazon has some great scales
  • cm246
    cm246 Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks all, should have kept my weight watchers scale from years ago..:)
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Like others are suggesting I'd buy a digit food scale. They don't have to be expensive and are the only way to guarantee some sort of accuracy (logging is just an educated guess afterall). Until you're able to get a scale I'd try using measuring cups but it really won't be the same.
  • mlima14
    mlima14 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I suggest the digital scale ( I have the non digital and the digital) it's more accurate and it helps a lot in being accurate for the food measurements if not you will probably under estimate your food intake and sabotage yourself. I got one from K-mart for like $25 at Marshall's I've seen it for $20 (after I bought it a K-mart:noway: ) . It's worth the investment. Good luck to you.
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Definitely buy a food scale, you will be surprised by the amounts and weight of food you estimated with measuring cups. I purchased a nice scale on eBay for $14.
  • cm246
    cm246 Posts: 12
    Options
    Buying one tomorrow, hopefully. I live in a small town, sometimes hard to find things..:)
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    I got my digital scale for 10.00 at walmart mainstays is the brand
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    A digital scale is a necessity.

As far as the food database goes, just enter shredded cheese and see what comes up. You'll have to search through the entries to find the one that best fits what you're entering. Once you build up some items in your food diary, it won't take so long to add common foods that you eat all the time.

Sometimes I'll enter "shredded cheese 1/4" when I want to find similar items entered in fraction form. Other times, I'll enter an item and put oz. or ounce behind it to find items with their weight not added in grams, like "hidden ranch original T" (Hidden Valley Original Ranch Dressing measured in tablespoons) and/or "raw onions ounce." Cuts through lots of extra stuff that pops up otherwise.

Hope this helped! Good luck!
  • MichelleMinus100
    Options
    The digital scale is my number one tool!

Just like anything new, it might be awkward at first, but you'll get so good that you won't need it anymore for foods you eat all the time. I can pour 120g of almond milk on my cereal now without looking almost!

For many foods in the database, if I can't find the gram weight/measurement, I input my own because I relate with most of my food in grams.

At first, I didn't want the "burden" of weighing my food, but if you're going to count calories, you must find an efficient and accurate way to measure. The digital scale has been that for me. It lives on my counter for super easy use.
  • karri82
    karri82 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Buy a scale it's so easy for measurements to be off quite a bit without one, its a pain to weigh everything when you start but I've found it just becomes part of day to day life
  • sctsbuttercup
    sctsbuttercup Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree a scale, measuring spoons and cups are very helpful but when not available I use a reference 1c potatoes, rice, pasta, salad, med sized fruit is roughly the size of a tennis ball or fist. 1 oz cheese is a pair of dice or your thumb. 3oz meat, fish or poultry is the size of a deck of cards. I was told to use the cooked weight. With a little bit of searching the net might be able to find other references out there. Hope it helps :)
  • janeytom
    janeytom Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't see how anyone can do this w/o a food scale.

I measure out, for example, cereal.
    The box says 3/4 cup (31 g.) is a serving, for 130 calories. Well, (I just tested this out) my 3/4 cup weighs 45 g. 45% more.
    So my "serving" is actually 188 calories! Same with meats, cheese, veggies, fruit, nuts- I weigh everything. And I am constantly surprised at how much is a "serving". Please get yourself a scale.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    invest in a food scale - you will need it - but in the meantime I think and oz of cheese is about the size of your thumb?

http://www.ehow.com/how_5660375_calculate-food-portions-scale.html
  • joan23_us
    joan23_us Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Hi, just started yesterday on here and was wondering if there is an easier way to measure things like cheese. It's asking for ml or g, and I don't have a scale, I've tried putting in 1/2 cup grated cheese for example, but it doesn't come up that way. Not sure then if I am accurately putting in the info for the diary, thanks

in addition to what everyone already suggested if i may add KEEP AN EYE OUT as well for how half a cup of cheese looks like so when you get the jist of how much things are you can EYEBALL portions, not the best but it will save you if when say you eat out in a restaurant or all of a sudden you are not able to measure your food, but hands down measuring portions IS THE BEST way so if you needed to adjust something you have an idea how and where to start cutting food portions, goodluck