Socially Drinking

Options
Every time I hang out with my friends, I find myself drinking with them. I don't think of myself as an alcoholic since I only drink socially. The problem is the kinds of drinks I like (fruity drinks like margaritas) are so high in carbs in sugars. I just tell myself, anything including alcohol is ok in moderation. I just want to know I am not alone. My best friend just turned 21 in November and I am 23 years old. My friend has just started drinking recently. I am hanging out with her in a couple hours and I am sure I will have a few drinks. I just like to have a good time when I hang out with my friends. What are your favorite kinds of alcohol or mixed drinks? I like margaritas (especiallty peach flavored), flavored vodka, blush moscatto (not sure if I spelled it right) wine, and wild blue beer.

Replies

• brock_west_houston
    Options
    I try to limit my social drinking to once or twice a month. Dry red wines are lower in calories. Skinny margaritas. I enjoy a margaritta from Outback that has three shots but citrus juice and a lower calorie sweet & sour. Checkout getdrunknotfat.com
  • Marcolter
    Marcolter Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Drink white wine spritzers, that is so 70s .
  • LC458
    LC458 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Honey whiskey with lemon juice. It's sweet, sour, strong and only 105 cals and 6 grams of carbs. Really only two and I'm good the rest of the social night because you can just sip on it all evening. 1 part honey whiskey 2 part lemon juice, over ice. Red wine too as someone here has already mentioned is a good one for me too.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I drink with friends at least once a week, usually beer or wine. I've been able to lose weight anyway.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what is in a margarita.

But generally speaking, there are lower calorie choices:

Low carb beer has less calories than regular beer.

Dry red or white wine is fairly calorie low.

Spirits with no sugar mixer like Pepsi max.

Of course, still drink in moderation :smile:
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    The occasional few drinks with friends won't stop your progress. Just log calories and look for lower-calorie choices. If you're in the US, this site is useful:
    http://getdrunknotfat.com

It's less useful elsewhere because it emphasizes US brands, but it might still be worth a look.

Generally, spirits mixed with sugar-free soda or fizzy water are the lowest calorie options. In some places, you can get what's called a "Schorle" in Germany: a mixture of wine (usually white) and fizzy water, which reduces the calories and the alcohol.

I have a cocktail with my wife after work a few days a week, and usually a glass of wine with dinner, and I've lost a fair amount of weight.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what is in a margarita.

A typical margarita recipe involves 2 parts tequila, 2 parts Cointreau or triple sec, 1 part lemon juice, 1 part lime juice, and 1 part ultrafine sugar (which dissolves more effectively in cold water). The number of calories depends on how big the parts are, but if you use one US shot (1.5 fl. oz./45 ml) each of tequila and triple sec, the resulting drink is about 300 calories.
  • beckylou66
    beckylou66 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I make a somewhat low cal margarita and a strawberry margarita at home...

2 part tequila
    1 part triple sec
    1 - 1 1/2 parts super concentrated lemonade crystal light
    2 cups frozen whole strawberries
    ice
    blend and enjoy

can put sugar around the rim but don't and save calories

and the traditional marg just leave out the strawberries and add equal parts of each till desired consistency and put salt around the rim.

As far as a bar goes..... Try flavored vodka and mix with water... add a lemon or lime or even an orange - most bars will have them if they serve bluemoon

I drink whiskey and water which is 69 cals
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    In some places, you can get what's called a "Schorle" in Germany: a mixture of wine (usually white) and fizzy water, which reduces the calories and the alcohol.

Just so you know, in the English-speaking world, it's known as a [wine] spritzer (and I'm mentally remembering the German for that next time I'm in the country!). Be careful though - I've ordered wine spritzers where the barperson has added lemonade (added calories) rather than fizzy/soda water.

They're delicious in the summer, especially with some ice.

ETA: Missed out a very important word there. Oops...
  • tonytedesco
    tonytedesco Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Pints with my bestie are the vice for me, especially during hockey season, and patio season. and wings go so well with pints. Thankfully my buddy lives in the suburbs and doesn't get downtown much... so it is limited to once a month.

I wasn't offering help... just saying you are not alone.
  • trimwan2B
    Options
    Try absolute vodka with mostly club soda, a splash of lime juice, a splash of sweet-n-sour mix, and sweeten with a low calorie sugar packet or Stevia liquid drops. Along the lines of a margarita in the taste family, but much lower in calories. You could stick with the tequila shot, but absolute is lower in calories.
  • bethcondon
    bethcondon Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've stopped having my 1-2/week glass of wine with dinner while I'm trying to kick-start my weight loss. But there was a work function last night with drinks & nibblies, and I knew I would go over my usual dinnertime calorie goal. But I was able to meet my daily goal by cutting back earlier in the day. I just had a big salad with some low-fat feta for lunch, then waited anxiously for the work party, and then tried not to go crazy: had one beer and sipped on it for a long time, and one plate of food. :) What i like about MFP is how it allows you to be more aware of your choices.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Every time I hang out with my friends, I find myself drinking with them. I don't think of myself as an alcoholic since I only drink socially. The problem is the kinds of drinks I like (fruity drinks like margaritas) are so high in carbs in sugars. I just tell myself, anything including alcohol is ok in moderation. I just want to know I am not alone. My best friend just turned 21 in November and I am 23 years old. My friend has just started drinking recently. I am hanging out with her in a couple hours and I am sure I will have a few drinks. I just like to have a good time when I hang out with my friends. What are your favorite kinds of alcohol or mixed drinks? I like margaritas (especiallty peach flavored), flavored vodka, blush moscatto (not sure if I spelled it right) wine, and wild blue beer.

Red wine. Drink red wine only!!!! Red grapes = good. Red wine = good.

Margaritas = bad. Way too many calories.

Drink red wine and socially enjoy....