Low Sodium/Low Sugar Snack Ideas

Options
My sodium and sugar intake is out of control -- I am a shiftworker so the majority of my meals are quick/go-to type meals, though I do have stretches of time off during which I can prep for the week of work shifts, so wondering what your favourite go-to low sodium or sugar snacks are? I am feeling pretty food uninspired - I have been eating the same breakfast for months now, with no variation unless necessary.

Replies

• boil some eggs, then cut them in half take out the yoke and fill with flavored hummus..discard yokes or use for egg salad..
  • Itskaleena
    Itskaleena Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    here are my favorites:

quest bars
    cottage cheese and a diced apple
    handful of nuts
    hummus & veggie sticks
    almond milk protein shake
    cheese & turkey roll ups
    plain yogurt & berries ( freeze for an hour & it's like froyo!)
    roasted chickpeas
    PB & sugar free jam on a whole grain bread slice/rice cake
  • Itskaleena
    Itskaleena Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    oatmeal with nuts and 1/2 a banana.

here's a link I found:)

http://nwkidney.org/docs/healthyLiving/preventing/101_low_salt_snacks.pdf
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    boil some eggs, then cut them in half take out the yoke and fill with flavored hummus..discard yokes or use for egg salad..

Or just eat the yolk
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Unsalted nuts are good. So are carrot and celery sticks.
  • withabandon
    withabandon Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I should note I do tend to fill in the edges with vegetables (sliced cucumber, mushrooms, carrots) but I find my high sodium or sugar regulars (like rice cakes, tortilla chips with salsa, granola bars, etc) make me feel full quicker and with less quantity than the amount of vegetables I have to eat. It is rarely a problem to stay within my calorie goals consuming them, it's just going over my sodium by half again that's crazy to me.
  • LisaNethery
    LisaNethery Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Chocolate chip fiber bars
    Belvita golden oat is my favorite flavor
    Carrots and hummus
    Cottage cheese and pineapple or mandarin oranges
    Dole frozen chocolate cover strawberries and bananas.... low calories :)
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Detour bars, Quest bars, Tzatziki sauce with red pepper, Eat Good Look Great Pure Protein bar.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    One thing that I like to eat with my raw veggies is homemade salsa. It was suggested to me by someone here as a low calorie dip for raw veggies. I really love it and very low sodium as I control what goes in to it.

I know that you said low sugar, and berries have natural sugar, but they are very good for you and make a great snack!
  • autumn_skye
    autumn_skye Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    we follow a VERY LOW sodium, diet in our house for medical reasons. Cheese and dairy can be sodium traps as are baked goods and cereals ( most have salt, baking soda, and baking powder which are all high in sodium).

No salt added cottage cheese can be flavored with Ms Dash and used as a dip for carrots, celery, cucumbers, etc. If you prefer a sweeter version, dice up ripe fruit and add to it.

Swiss Cheese is naturally lower in sodium than other cheeses...40-60 mgs per serving as opposed to 180-200+ in most other cheeses. Fresh Mozzerella packed in water (try Belgioiso brand) is also quite low.

Buy your cold cuts from the deli counter. Boar's Head makes no salt added turkey breast. There are some lower-sodium ham's available as well.

Make your own salsas with no-salt added tomatoes ( or just fresh) to avoid added sodium. Make your own hummus with no-salt added chick peas

You can make an excellent low sodium pizza with the following:

Target ready made thin pizza crust ( has no salt added)
    Furmano's canned pizza sauce
    veggies of choice (I like finely chopped zucchini, olives, and spinach)
    Fresh mozzarella

pretty much all types of chips, crackers, etc can be bought in no-salt or low-sodium versions. To be honest, it's a acquired taste that you just have to get used to, Make Mrs Dash your friend!

Also, potassium helps to counter-act sodium in your body. Avocados are one of the best sources of potassium!

Feel free to PM if you have any other questions about sodium and how to excess of it out of your diet