Hunger pangs

Options
I'm currently set to loose less than 1lb a week, but it's still so much less than I was eating before. Which is why I need to go on this diet to begin with I know...but it's really hard. I went dancing yesterday and that really crippled me. Doing the Charlston in heels having never done it before is NOT a good idea lol,

So anyway, without an exercise boost I'm struggling. I've nearly reached my goal and I'm STARVING! I know that the hunger fades as the body gets used to a lower calorie diet, but urgh...starting the damned thing is the hardest part. I just want to snag the chocolates from the other room and EAT

Replies

• Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. I'm drinking a lot of water, and eating small meals at regular intervals. Also getting lots of protein, but I'm hungry every 2 hours or so, and run out of calories before I'm full at night. Are you eating all healthy foods? You can eat a lot more food if it's whole and low in calories as opposed to high, empty calorie fast/processed food.
  • katy_jane_2013
    Options
    my advice would be drink lots of water and inbetween meals eat low calorie but healthy foods like carrot sticks and hummus this is what I have done, I really don't like water that much but it has been working even if I add some dilute juice in the water sometimes and also try to keep busy so you don't really think about it :D
  • aluethi1
    aluethi1 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I find eating lots of veggies helps since you can pretty much pig out on them without it making too much of a dent in your calorie goal.
  • KatherinesRiver
    Options
    Yipes! Go get those chocolates and GIVE them to your neighbor!!! Then put all the veggies you can find in one big pot and steam them! I know how awful it is to try and deal with hunger pangs.:heart:
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    You're hungry....but you want to want chocolates?

That doesn't even make sense. Chocolate is not a meal.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    It took me about 3 weeks for the hunger pangs to subside to a reasonable level. I keep a jar of dill pickles around for between-meal snacking, but I try as much as possible to push through hunger; since I've been eating at a deficit for over a year (except for 3 weeks around the winter holidays), I've gotten used to it and no longer get really hungry between meals.

Nuts actually help a lot. They have a lot of calories, but if you weigh them so you stick under your calorie goal, they're useful, because they are very filling. My wife keeps some 100-calorie packs of almonds around for snacking (she's the kind of person who gets "hangry" - hungry and angry - if her blood sugar dips too low).
  • PositiveAngel
    Options
    I have over 45 pounds to lose and keep failing because of the hunger pangs at night I end up bingeing then getting really upset.

If anyone would like to add me as a friend to help each other or has any tips and advice on nightie binges I'd really REALLY appreciate it as I'm coming to the end of my tether and starting to think I honestly can NOT do this!:cry:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm currently set to loose less than 1lb a week, but it's still so much less than I was eating before. Which is why I need to go on this diet to begin with I know...but it's really hard. I went dancing yesterday and that really crippled me. Doing the Charlston in heels having never done it before is NOT a good idea lol,

So anyway, without an exercise boost I'm struggling. I've nearly reached my goal and I'm STARVING! I know that the hunger fades as the body gets used to a lower calorie diet, but urgh...starting the damned thing is the hardest part. I just want to snag the chocolates from the other room and EAT

If you're not hungry enough to eat an apple, you're not really hungry...
  • PositiveAngel
    Options
    I wish that was my problem!
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I have cibrophobia so the steaming veggies and the like isn't really an option.
  • wrenegade64
    wrenegade64 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain young lady. I am an emergency communications operator for a Level I Trauma Hospital in Kansas and we are connected to the emergency room. Nurse's celebrate EVERYTHING. Bonnie got pregnant---someone bake a cake, Judy got engaged----someone make a pot of chili, there's a blade of grass growing in the parking lot---SOMEONE GRILL A BUFFALO!!! I deal with this kind of stuff at least once a week.
    WATER WATER WATER is your best friend. Also keep some good snacks around. I love having cups of sugar-free Jello and sugar-free pudding in the fridge and plenty of fruit. You can do this. Just keep your eye on the prize and keep pushing. U CAN DO THIS!!!
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Try Mega-T green tea diet pills. You take one with a glass of water 20 minutes before your two biggest meals. They actually do help, but I don't always take them like I should. Sometimes I take them, sometimes I don't. But you can buy them almost anywhere and they help.
  • veganpancake
    Options
    I've found that any type of pain is exacerbated by a (natural) anxiety to make it go away ASAP. Hunger pangs, which are painful, are just like that. We are hungry, so our body wants us to eat ASAP. Try and challenge that thought process. Yes, it hurts, but it won't actually hurt you. You aren't starving, and your body isn't in danger. I'm a chronic pain sufferer, and I would be in permanent misery if I didn't think this way! So yeah, try some cognitive restructuring. It takes time, but it helps!

Cravings, on the other hand, are an entirely different story...
  • robinsgirl410
    Options
    cold time of year here...so I am voting for making soup! If you can, make a broth based soup with lots of veggies. Celery, carrots, onions, whatever is looking wilted in the fridge. Add whatever spices you like. Almost calorie free and you may feel like you are eating a substantial snack with a cup or two for very little calories. Saute veggies in a bit of olive oil first (a tsp or less) for more flavor. Even with a piece of dry toast may not be many calories. Good luck! I am just starting out-big push to count starting tomorrow since a Sunday. Will keep you posted. Robinsgirl410
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options

Wow, I just noticed something ... while I have hunger pangs, I have NO cravings... now, what does that MEAN???
  • rachelamber_x
    rachelamber_x Posts: 104 Member
    Options

Wow, I just noticed something ... while I have hunger pangs, I have NO cravings... now, what does that MEAN???

My understanding is that cravings are usually due to deficiencies (please correct me if that's wrong!)
    So I would assume that you are hungry but your body isn't in need of anything specific?
  • Bearbrat
    Bearbrat Posts: 230
    Options
    I'm not sure if these are options for anyone who posted, but for me this has worked....almost to the point of being too much sometimes. I buy bags of chicken breasts and lots of salmon, lean meats etc. over my days off I spend three or so hours in the kitchen cooking and bagging up pre portioned bags of the protein. 4 oz of chicken breast is huge amount of food and pair that with a few servings of veggies and a carb like brown rice or sweet potatoes and you'll feel full for a long time. The salmon I buy from Costco, it's I believe 7 oz per serving and is 340 calories. I eat it with probably 12 asparagus spears and 3 cups of salad with various vegetables and a light dressing. Breakfast usually consists of either 3 eggs, or two eggs and two egg whites with spinach and mushrooms and sometimes ham and a side of oatmeal with blueberries and almond milk. Lunch is always some kind of wrap made with a whole wheat tortilla, spinach, thin sliced cucumbers, low fat provolone, turkey or ham and oiko's greek yogurt dip. Apples, cutie mandarins, small banana's and greek yogurt with pure vanilla extract.

The key for me is plenty of protein and good carbs with every meal, the protein usually helping the most for hunger. If you don't have the extra time each week like I do, maybe sit down and figure a way that you can do something similar?

I found when I completely switched my diet up and went to eating stuff like this it was actually hard at first to make it to my calorie goal, so I ended up adding in nuts, avocados, peanut butter and things like that.

Because cutting out all the crap, the processed food...fast food, ice cream (for the most part lol) the chips, the cookies (for the most part) cake etc...it took a significant amount of calories out, but gave me the ability to eat way, way more.

I hope this helps some of you and I don't mean to sound rude at all
  • WendyLee74
    Options
    That's the hardest part about losing weight for most people, especially if you live here in the United States, Western culture has a way of making everything so tempting as well as addictive.

Just know that your body is physically addicted to bad foods as well as mentally and emotionally. It takes time to get over this hump. You can do it, but know that it does take time and lots of TLC towards yourself.
  • ahawk56702
    ahawk56702 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    You are going to have to go through some pain in order to attain your goals. If you feel sore from strenuous exercise, go for a 60 minute leisurely walk. If you are actually injured, rather than sore there are a lot of exercises you could do sitting down. Concentrate on your upper body. If it is your upper body that is injured, walk. For hunger pains you are going to have to get over your aversion to healthy food or sit there in pain. It's your choice, but you are going to develop a whole new set of health issues without them even when you get thin. One thing I like to do is plan my meals and exercise for the entire day first thing. I try to stick to it no matter what. That way I don't screw myself over in the morning and run our of calories for dinner. If you control yourself better during the day, purposefully save most of your calories for dinner. It is not ideal as eating late is not healthy, but if that's what'll get you following a new routine, then do it anyway.
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I find that substituting whole grains for white has helped a lot. When I want a "sweet treat" the rule is that I have to bake it myself. I use King Arthur whole wheat white flour in just about all my cookie, muffin, and quick bread recipes. It adds fiber and protein.

I also eat more vegetarian meals with beans, lentils, etc than meat and cheese. I try to use meat and cheese as flavoring ingredients most of the time instead of the main component of a dish (unless it's like beef stew or something that I rarely but sometimes make).

Weekday morning breakfasts usually are oatmeal of some type. If I put it with some protein and fat (walnuts, almonds, egg, or a small sausage link), I don't get hungry until lunch unless I worked extra hard for my exercise in the morning.

Also, having a couple carrots or a small apple if my body is telling me I'm hungry seems to help.