My case for weighing yourself every day.

Options
1234568»

Replies

• MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    gotta do what works for you. I weigh myself at the doc's every 3 months, or when I happen to be at my mother's house. I don't own a scale.
  • Lauren4974
    Lauren4974 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, so you're not alone. It helps me keep track of my water retention... ESPECIALLY around TOM... MAJOR water gain around that time...
  • chantelp0508
    chantelp0508 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    When I'm actively trying to lose weight, I step on the scale every time I walk by it
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lfautwxFCp1qa2q59o1_500.png
  • ClaudiaTheNice
    Options
    Meh. Once a month. I'm eating better, I'm eating less and I'm moving more. I can see my body changing and I don't really need to know the weight day by day or even week by week.
  • MWShep
    MWShep Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Weigh every morning and then take an average weight between Sunday and Saturday.
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning after I hit the bathroom. My doctor suggested every day monitoring, but I know myself and even if he'd said weekly, I still would do it daily. It would drive me crazy not sneaking a peek along the way. I find it keeps me honest with myself and motivated as well ... especially when I see a new number in the right direction. It's worked so far!!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    what's in your headddddddd? in your headdddddd?
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday and will always do it. The times that I was heavier...I barely weighed myself. I didn't keep myself accountable for it.

It isn't a big deal to step on the scale first thing in the morning. I know if my day before was a good day or not. If I ate too much food that caused my weight to go up (whether water weight or not ) I know to drink more water and cut back on some food the next day.

It has helped me maintain my weight.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I also weigh every day and write it on a calendar. If I get discouraged, I check how much I weighed 6 months ago, and I m always trending downward. Great tool to keep me going forward with my progress.
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Ok
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I've "lost" 8lbs overnight from being dehydrated. I've "gained" 8lbs in a day because of ..... something. All of it is arbitrary when it comes to your actual health and body fat %, which is what you're aiming to reduce - not your body's actual weight, but the chubber.

^^^^^ this

weight does not matter, body fat % does. And body fat % does not change overnight.

If losing no scale weight in a week is going to upset you when during that week you've stuck to your calorie goal, got stronger, fitter, maybe lost half an inch somewhere... then you need to focus less on the scale and more on the bigger picture. Several weeks of not losing anything indicates you're no longer in a deficit and you need to change something (but that shouldn't make you upset.... it's feedback... and you should still recognise other progress you made, e.g. lifting heavier, getting fitter, etc). But one week could be just a blip, e.g. retaining more water that day or whatever... if that is going to mess your head up, you're giving the scale more importance than it deserves. And if you're doing that, then weighing yourself every day isn't going to fix the problem.

However, if you're just using the scale as one of many tools that can aid you in improving your health and don't attach any undue importance to it and can put the number it gives you in the proper context, then it doesn't matter one way or another whether you weigh every day or just once a week or month or whenever it suits you.
  • angelycar
    angelycar Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I read this yesterday and went out and bought myself a weighing scale today.am hoping it will keep me accountable and I can keep track better.....tx mfp,every piece of advice counts
  • aless820
    aless820 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like to weigh myself every few days(4-6) so the progress is a bit bigger, which is much more satisfying because I know how much our body changes throughout the day, even from water! However, I support whatever people do if it works for them!
  • ChaoticMiNd
    ChaoticMiNd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Every morning I wake around 5:30 pee, and weigh myself. If I don't, the coffee I drink will add a lb to me haha.
  • rgohm
    rgohm Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday, first thing in the morning. I also thinks it helps to see the patterns in reference to weight. I also know if I have drank enough water the day before. I figured out that if I don't drink at least 6 - 8oz cups of water a day I can way as much as three pounds more the next day!
  • incanto50
    incanto50 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I do too. It keeps me on track and I have kept off the 25 pounds I have lost.
  • LinDiSm26262
    LinDiSm26262 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I weigh each day as long as I stay the same weight or show a loss. If I show a small gain I stop weighing for a couple of weeks and then weigh. I always show a loss then. I begin weighing again each day and the cycle continues. I lose pretty slow so this works for me and keeps me from getting discouraged.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!