Hunger pangs

Options

Replies

• veganpancake
    Options
    Cravings, on the other hand, are an entirely different story...

Wow, I just noticed something ... while I have hunger pangs, I have NO cravings... now, what does that MEAN???

My understanding is that cravings are usually due to deficiencies (please correct me if that's wrong!)
    So I would assume that you are hungry but your body isn't in need of anything specific?

Nope, not really. 99.99% of the time, our bodies aren't that smart. (Salt cravings are sometimes related to needing salt, and there are probably other exceptions.
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I am planning my meals on a weekly basis, always have healthy snacks with me at work. I have no junk or bad carbs in the house to snack on. I do not eat meat, but am getting adequate protein according to my macros. I just had to have my dinner in 3 phases to spread it out so I'm not hungry at 8pm. I have done a complete about face with my food, I've never eaten this healthy in my life and I am hungry every 2 hours. I hope it's just a phase, because it's very hard to deal with. *** And to to poster who commented about chronic pain..I think I know what you are trying to say... I"ve had chronic back pain for 10 years, and I have learned to fight through it or get to a point where I barely notice it. I guess it may happen with this too, but it's a new feeling for me, I don't remember the last time I felt truly hungry before this. But I thought that a healthy diet shouldn't make you feel hungry.
  • Bearbrat
    Bearbrat Posts: 230
    Options
    I am planning my meals on a weekly basis, always have healthy snacks with me at work. I have no junk or bad carbs in the house to snack on. I do not eat meat, but am getting adequate protein according to my macros. I just had to have my dinner in 3 phases to spread it out so I'm not hungry at 8pm. I have done a complete about face with my food, I've never eaten this healthy in my life and I am hungry every 2 hours. I hope it's just a phase, because it's very hard to deal with. *** And to to poster who commented about chronic pain..I think I know what you are trying to say... I"ve had chronic back pain for 10 years, and I have learned to fight through it or get to a point where I barely notice it. I guess it may happen with this too, but it's a new feeling for me, I don't remember the last time I felt truly hungry before this. But I thought that a healthy diet shouldn't make you feel hungry.

Maybe try some tea with almond milk between meals? Also almonds just as a snack, a small handful....10 or so of them has helped me if I get in the situation where I feel this way. Like right before bed, if I end up with those hunger pains (rare, but it happens) almonds help. It's awful trying to sleep that way.
  • 2Dozen
    2Dozen Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    What is a hunger pang? Is that the same as a hunger pain?
  • Tanya949
    Options
    What is a hunger pang? Is that the same as a hunger pain?

Same thing I believe... severe stomach rumbling, or gnawing feeling (like something is chewing on your insides). I wouldn't say it hurts but can be quite uncomfortable.
  • Tanya949
    Options

Maybe try some tea with almond milk between meals? Also almonds just as a snack, a small handful....10 or so of them has helped me if I get in the situation where I feel this way. Like right before bed, if I end up with those hunger pains (rare, but it happens) almonds help. It's awful trying to sleep that way.

Thanks for the advice. I have an intolerance to almonds though. I had some hazelnuts this morning which helped a bit. I have to watch myself with nuts since they are high in calories. I'm at goal for today and still hungry, had some raw veggies but that didn't help. I'm really hoping this will pass.
  • Byemyfatself
    Byemyfatself Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have cibrophobia so the steaming veggies and the like isn't really an option.

You mean cibophobia? If so, what foods do you fear? It might help others to help you if they know what you WILL eat.
  • Bearbrat
    Options

Thanks for the advice. I have an intolerance to almonds though. I had some hazelnuts this morning which helped a bit. I have to watch myself with nuts since they are high in calories. I'm at goal for today and still hungry, had some raw veggies but that didn't help. I'm really hoping this will pass.
    I'm not sure what else can help since it looks like you're vegetarian? So it's an area for me where I don't know where you can get extra protein to help. Do you eat eggs at all or would you eat egg substitutes? I don't know if that's part of a vegetarian diet. The only other suggestion is to up your fiber intake, but be careful with that as it can completely backfire on you and make you miserable :(
  • Fishshtick
    Fishshtick Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My tip is a little bit counter-culture for MFP. I suggest you consider not exercising during the first month or two of a weight loss program, just diet and be a couch potato. Yes, exercising can help retain a bit more lean mass and burn some extra calories, but study after study shows that exercise really intensifies hunger to the point that many people cannot lose weight by exercise alone or will even gain weight due the increased hunger. Moreover, that tendency to maintain or increase meal size with exercise means your stomach's stretch receptor's and associated hunger feedback system (leptin etc) do not readjust to accept smaller portions as satiating. I suspect this stomach retraining process may be particularly defeated when someone starts their weight loss program right off with intensive exercise and follows the 'eat back your calories' strategy that is heavily promoted on MFC.

It's not that I don't think that exercise and eating back calories should come into play at some point in a weight loss program, but my own experience and readings suggest they might best come into play AFTER a person gets some control on portion sizing and acclimates a bit to just having a daily calorie deficit. In my case that strategy worked amazingly and drastically reduced the early diet pangs. After a couple months I started in with some low intensity exercise and have been ramping it up with some eating back of calories in the form of in-between-meal snacks. That is simply because my stomach is now retrained to smaller portions and it would not be good to undo that. As it turns out it is now actually uncomfortable if I do try to eat amounts in one sitting that used to be common for me. I almost never feel a desire to go back for seconds. I consider that a big success for my ability to maintain my weight loss.

Interestingly, my wife and I started our diets at the same time and she started right in with the exercise and eating back calories because she liked not having to reduce portions or daily intake as much. I was initially overloaded at work and didn't have time for the gym and so I just dieted to the same total calorie deficit goal as her. As it now stands I have been able to maintain my diet and she has ended up starting and stopping repeatedly. I have lost about 4 times what she has and it is now a family joke that it's not fair to compare her to me because I don't need food anymore. Obviously I do, but just much less in a given sitting and I attribute this to holding off on the hunger-intensifying effects of exercise early on to allow my hunger satiation system a chance to reset.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I would just go eat a portion of the chocolates. Going over my calorie limit is better than sitting around being miserable and in pain.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering about this, too. Seems I have days where it's hard to eat at a deficit, or I go to bed hungry.

And I'm not even going super low calorie. I mean, 1,500 + a day.. and I'll still feel hungry some days.

One comment here says exercise can make you hungrier, I'm not sure how valid that is... but I do stay active. If I don't get exercise calories earned back, it's hard staying at 1,200-1,300 like MFP wants (for 1lb loss/week).

All I can say is eating real food and eating high protein helps me fight hunger easier than if I'm wasting my calories on chocolate or eating half my calories at one meal. Drinking loads of water throughout the day also helps me maintain a sense of fullness.

I wish there was some amazing appetite suppressant that would make it easier...diet pills are too risky.

Don't let yourself get too hungry though! If you feel starved it could trigger you into a binge... it's better to go over your calorie goal by 50-100 than to binge later because your body wants food.
  • texasfarmer
    texasfarmer Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain young lady. I am an emergency communications operator for a Level I Trauma Hospital in Kansas and we are connected to the emergency room. Nurse's celebrate EVERYTHING. Bonnie got pregnant---someone bake a cake, Judy got engaged----someone make a pot of chili, there's a blade of grass growing in the parking lot---SOMEONE GRILL A BUFFALO!!! I deal with this kind of stuff at least once a week.
    WATER WATER WATER is your best friend. Also keep some good snacks around. I love having cups of sugar-free Jello and sugar-free pudding in the fridge and plenty of fruit. You can do this. Just keep your eye on the prize and keep pushing. U CAN DO THIS!!!

THIS MADE ME LAUGH!!!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I looked back at your food diary (for the 2 days logged) and noticed 2 things.

First of all, you are choosing calorie dense things for foods you do eat. Try shifting to foods with fewer calories. Fruits and vegetables are a good start (if you can't steam them, maybe eat them raw with a bit of ranch dip or something). Soups are a great option, just be aware of the sodium if you go with the canned ones instead of making your own. Try oatmeal or cracked wheat for breakfast, or even cold cereal with skim milk or almond milk (watch the serving size). Fruit, yogurt or cottage cheese, and a protein (eggs, meat, beans, etc) make a filling lunch for not too many calories. Avoid drinking your calories - go for water instead. A few small changes at a time can help you create an eating habit that will keep you satisfied while staying within a reasonable calorie limit.

The other thing I notice is that you are way under calories. It looks like you are trying to stay at the 1400, but you are doing some significant exercise. I would suggest allowing yourself to eat back some of those exercise calories (probably not all, since MFP tends to over-estimate, but maybe half or even 1/3). MFP calculates a deficit BEFORE exercise, so when you work out, you are at a bigger deficit. You may think, 'great, I'll lose weight faster' … but as you can see, it leaves you feeling miserable and hungry. Faster isn't always better. Remember, food is fuel, and if you're doing a lot of activity, you need to fuel that.

Hope this helps :flowerforyou:
  • Bearbrat
    Options
    My tip is a little bit counter-culture for MFP. I suggest you consider not exercising during the first month or two of a weight loss program, just diet and be a couch potato. Yes, exercising can help retain a bit more lean mass and burn some extra calories, but study after study shows that exercise really intensifies hunger to the point that many people cannot lose weight by exercise alone or will even gain weight due the increased hunger. Moreover, that tendency to maintain or increase meal size with exercise means your stomach's stretch receptor's and associated hunger feedback system (leptin etc) do not readjust to accept smaller portions as satiating. I suspect this stomach retraining process may be particularly defeated when someone starts their weight loss program right off with intensive exercise and follows the 'eat back your calories' strategy that is heavily promoted on MFC.

It's not that I don't think that exercise and eating back calories should come into play at some point in a weight loss program, but my own experience and readings suggest they might best come into play AFTER a person gets some control on portion sizing and acclimates a bit to just having a daily calorie deficit. In my case that strategy worked amazingly and drastically reduced the early diet pangs. After a couple months I started in with some low intensity exercise and have been ramping it up with some eating back of calories in the form of in-between-meal snacks. That is simply because my stomach is now retrained to smaller portions and it would not be good to undo that. As it turns out it is now actually uncomfortable if I do try to eat amounts in one sitting that used to be common for me. I almost never feel a desire to go back for seconds. I consider that a big success for my ability to maintain my weight loss.

Interestingly, my wife and I started our diets at the same time and she started right in with the exercise and eating back calories because she liked not having to reduce portions or daily intake as much. I was initially overloaded at work and didn't have time for the gym and so I just dieted to the same total calorie deficit goal as her. As it now stands I have been able to maintain my diet and she has ended up starting and stopping repeatedly. I have lost about 4 times what she has and it is now a family joke that it's not fair to compare her to me because I don't need food anymore. Obviously I do, but just much less in a given sitting and I attribute this to holding off on the hunger-intensifying effects of exercise early on to allow my hunger satiation system a chance to reset.
    I am in awe over this....please link the studies you've been reading. I'm not trying to be rude, but if you say study after study supports this, then please back it up with valid links. One thing I will say, athletes don't diet...they don't restrict themselves to 1200-1500 or 1800 calories a day. They look at food as fuel for their bodies, they try to find ways to fit more protein into their day, more good carbs, more vegetables, more vitamins through good food so they can workout and have their bodies functioning at full capacity. So, that might be what you mean?
  • Windsor81
    Windsor81 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm going to give one more "counter culture" piece of advice. If you can manage to have them in the house without eating an entire box, allow yourself a few cookies/chocolate/treats each day. It is much easier to survive day to day if you know you CAN have little treats from time to time rather than disallow them all together.

I allow myself 3 oreos each day. Doesn't sound like much, but it sooths my "must eat chocolate" center of my brain just enough to get through until the next day. Plus, it alleviates the anxiety I have about eating anything bad. Ultimately, 3 oreos are about 140 calories, which, in the grand scheme of things isn't much out of your daily diet. Other snack foods are lots of veggies, fruits, half a protein bar, etc etc. So long as most of my food is good, a few cookies each day won't kill me and definitely make it easy to stay on track with eating healthy every day.

The downside is, some people can't have junk food in the house or they WILL eat all of it. If you can't manage to eat only a few of something, just don't. It'll take a few weeks to get over the cravings, but once they're gone they'll stay gone until you eat it again. Those few weeks are a battle though (think of it like quitting an addiction).
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options

I am with you! I couldn't exercise due to an injury and never felt hungry in the first five months, I lost weight appropriately etc. Once my knee got a bit better I started exercising and now get hunger pangs/pains occasionally.
    I truly believe its slowly, slowly wins the race.
    Adjusting is easier in stages. Its working for me.:wink:
  • wthetri01
    Options
    You are so right! And if you opt for dark chocolate, even better! It's a super food after all full of antioxidants. If you get the Lindt, 70% or darker, or any that is 70%>, it is absolutely fine! I have a couple of pieces a night, and only 120 calories, or one for 60 calories, and it really helps off set those cravings. You don't always have to eat an apple for goodness sakes....depriving ourselves will only set us up for failure. You just can only have couple though, don't eat the whole box! :noway:
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    This: You need more fruits and veggies. Skip the processed foods and restauraunt foods, and don't drink your calories. Pick one thing at a time to work on for a day or two then work on the next step.
    I looked back at your food diary (for the 2 days logged) and noticed 2 things.

First of all, you are choosing calorie dense things for foods you do eat. Try shifting to foods with fewer calories. Fruits and vegetables are a good start (if you can't steam them, maybe eat them raw with a bit of ranch dip or something). Soups are a great option, just be aware of the sodium if you go with the canned ones instead of making your own. Try oatmeal or cracked wheat for breakfast, or even cold cereal with skim milk or almond milk (watch the serving size). Fruit, yogurt or cottage cheese, and a protein (eggs, meat, beans, etc) make a filling lunch for not too many calories. Avoid drinking your calories - go for water instead. A few small changes at a time can help you create an eating habit that will keep you satisfied while staying within a reasonable calorie limit.

The other thing I notice is that you are way under calories. It looks like you are trying to stay at the 1400, but you are doing some significant exercise. I would suggest allowing yourself to eat back some of those exercise calories (probably not all, since MFP tends to over-estimate, but maybe half or even 1/3). MFP calculates a deficit BEFORE exercise, so when you work out, you are at a bigger deficit. You may think, 'great, I'll lose weight faster' … but as you can see, it leaves you feeling miserable and hungry. Faster isn't always better. Remember, food is fuel, and if you're doing a lot of activity, you need to fuel that.

Hope this helps :flowerforyou:
  • puremagnolia
    puremagnolia Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I go through cycles of not being able to control my cravings. My spouse is usually asleep hours before me and I would get these munchies and once I start it's hard to stop. But recently, I started doing Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. I haven't done anything like that in ages but I was feeling desperate so i started it and I'm on day four and I have to say, my appetite has definitely decreased. Having healthy snacks has helped also...almonds and walnuts (raw without salt), fresh fruit and veggies. But the one thing that really helps is having strength in your mind. Right now at this very minute there is a chocolate mousse cake in my fridge and cupcakes galore on my counter that my spouse made for my birthday yesterday. I did enjoy them yesterday. But i told myself none today. Amazingly, I'm not even craving. If the thought enters my mind, I immediately push it out and distract myself by doing something. These things do help but of course sometimes you just give in. Don't be too hard on yourself if you do. After its over just forgive yourself and make a fresh start. Try to stay positive.
    Good luck to you.:happy:
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I'm hungry almost every day. I usually go to bed hungry, no matter how healthy I eat, no matter if I eat my exercise calories back or not, no matter when I eat my last meal. I've decided I just have to live with it.:smile: