HELP! NET CALORIES IN THE NEGATIVES??!

Options
Okay. So this is literally my first day using MyFitnessPal! I had two nuts from an Organic Fruit & Trail Mix package. Then went to the gym to workout FIRST. After I came back from the gym, I cooked a small breakfast of one slice of 100% whole wheat grain bread folded over, with scrambled eggs in it ( half egg sandwich), half a banana, and half container of light yogurt with water obviously. Then I snacked on a small portion of nut and fruit trail mix (containing cranberries, raisins, raw almonds, raw cashews and raw walnuts) in a ziploc bag, A little tuna on one slice of 100% whole wheat grain folded over to make a small tuna sandwich, the other half of my light yogurt, and a salad with light dressing, also another small portion of trail mix. My food calories are 529. But now my my NET CALORIES ARE NEGATIVE?? WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? I AM SO CONFUSED WITH ALL THE MATH. HERE ARE MY NUMBERS:

GOAL: 1,200
FOOD: 529
EXERCISE: -655
NET: -126
REMAINING 1,326

I have it set to 2 lb. loss/week but even when I changed it to 0.5 lbs a week it is STILL in the negatives. If I workout more than I eat, will I not lose the weight and tone? I don't understand how eating 1200 calories of food then working out causes weight loss..... Help.

I need help with what brown meals to eat in the lunchtime/dinner. (brown rice, brown pasta)? I don't want to just eat fruits and veggies, because my body needs a small meal.

Replies

• alanaealeman
    alanaealeman Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You have burned more calories through exercise than you have consumed. That is why your net is negative. It's just subtraction.

You absolutely need to be eating more than 529 calories of food, especially if you are exercising. What you are doing right now is dangerous calorie restriction.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    IT MEANS EAT SOME FOOD!!! AND WHAT, PRAY TELL, ARE YOU DOING FOR EXERCISE THAT IS BURNING 600+ CALORIES AT YOUR BODYWEIGHT??!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    The more you work out, the more you need to eat. 1200 is the minimum for getting the nutrients you need. If you're working out hard enough to burn that many calories, you need to eat at least some of them back. The 1200 is NOT a cap, it's the number to hit. A deficit is built in, so if you exercise, you can eat more. Also, 2 pounds a week is really aggressive, and likely not attainable unless you have over 50 pounds to lose.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    You only have 20 pounds to lose according to your ticker, so you should be aiming for around 1/2 pound a week loss anyway.

If you exercise, you're supposed to eat more. MFP has you eating at a deficit without exercise, that's why it tells you to eat more after exercising.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you got the idea you have to eat less than 1200 calories to lose weight. 1200 is the absolute minimum, and consistently eating less will most definitely not result in you getting toned as you will lose a lot of muscle. Mfp is designed so that your deficit is already taken off. You are meant to eat back your exercise calories, or at least half of them. Also, unless you have a lot to lose, 2 Ibs a week is too much of a deficit. It is better to set it to 1/2 Ib to 1Ib a week. It is not a race.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    MFP is quite notorious for setting calorie goals FAR too low, regardless of height and weight. For example, it told me to eat 1200, and my BMR (the bare amount of calories I need to LIVE) is 1280. And I am extremely tiny, only 5 feet. So unless you are smaller than me, or bedridden, it is almost a CERTAINTY that you are eating too little. (This can result in lean muscle loss, chronic fatigue, metabolism damage, and bingeing due to over-restriction.)

Go to

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

and enter your height/weight/activity level.

Subtract 10-20% from the number it calculates for you, and that is the number of calories you should be eating a day in order to lose weight.
  • jennycina93
    jennycina93 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You definitely should eat some more. Also, try paying attention to your macros goals (protein, carbs, fat, and fiber). You are probably not hitting those goals if your calorie intake is so low (although I did not look at your diary). You will lose weight with negative net calories, but it is most certainly not healthy and you will most likely lose a lot of muscle.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    See where it says calories remaining? Eat until that says 0.

And why just brown foods?
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    seriously- its called starvation.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Eat more food.

You'll lose weight doing what you're doing. But you'll be unhealthy and before too long you won't have the energy to workout. You'll also sacrifice your muscle along with fat, which works against your goal of "toning." Many people also find that eating such an extremely low number leads to binging.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Also:
    I need help with what brown meals to eat in the lunchtime/dinner. (brown rice, brown pasta)? I don't want to just eat fruits and veggies, because my body needs a small meal.

That's just silly. Why brown? What your body needs is more calories.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Seriously, wtf? Brown foods? Eating less than 600 calories (Not that I think you're really eating that little, what with the trail mix and all. A small portion of my trail mix is 170 calories, but that you think you're eating that little is worrying) Working yourself into the perceived negatives?

It's like a 'Do Not Do This' list.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    You are confusing the phrase "eat less than you burn" - it does not mean less than you burn from exercise, but less than your body burns all day long - sleeping, walking, brushing your teeth, working - just existing! Even comatose hospital patients burn calories!

Do not eat less than 1200 cals - eat more, much more. If you changed your weekly goal to lose .5 lbs a week, that's good, now eat until your net cals are at, or at least very close to, that daily goal number.

Food is fuel, and at negative net cals, your body ain't gettin' any of it! :tongue:

Edited to add:
    Eat a well balanced diet of all the foods - your body needs protein, healthy fats, & carbs. Eat your fruits and veggies as well as lean meats, nuts and seeds, legumes, dairy (unless you have an allergy), etc.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    I think it would help you to get some more information on how to do this. Start here - its very good info: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    EAT MOAR. NAO.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    As someone else already mentioned, with only 20 pounds to lose, you should really aim to lose half a pound a week, and no more than a pound.

The calorie goal that MFP assigns you is what you need to eat to lose weight. Which means you need to eat to MEET that goal every day. To clarify further, you should get AS CLOSE to your calorie goal as possible. If you add exercise to your normal daily routine, you should also eat at least some of those exercise calories back.

Food is fuel. It gives your body the energy it needs to function, and it provides you with macro and micro-nutrients that are vital to your health and well-being.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Brown is the color of brownies and dark lager. In for the Brown Diet.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I love the brown
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

I love the brown

+1

OP; Eat more. You're not doing your body or yourself any favors by giving it so little. 1200 calories MINIMUM.