Fluoxetine advice

Options
I need advice about people's experiences with the drug fluoxetine (prozac). I have had multiple psychologists and two psychiatrists suggest it, but I'm afraid of trying. I'd especially like advice related to taking it for extreme anxiety.

No jokes about depression, or comments about "the evils of medication" please. This is hard for me. And I'm a scientist so I know exactly what the medication does (I've read peer reviewed papers on this subject), I just want to know if it's really helped other people and hear about their experiences.

Replies

• ausheli
    ausheli Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm on 60mg each morning and 400mg of seroquel XR at night for my bi-polar 1, for me the fluoxetine is just a bit of an upper to get me going each morning, no side affects at all
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Thank you. :) I am super worried about side effects since I'm sensitive to a lot of things so that's good to hear. I'd like to hear more experiences too.
  • tamzinb10
    tamzinb10 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have tried several SSRI anti depressants for depression and anxiety. I have found fluoxetine to be the best for me, with no noticeable side affects, whereas I have experienced side affects with many other SSRIS.

Fluoxetine takes a little while to work, but it really has helped with the anxiety.

I'd try it out, and if its not for you there are always alternatives. :)
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I regret every year of waiting to get medical treatment for anxiety. My life is much better now. I doubt I'll ever be 100% anxiety free, but when I have bad days now, it's hard to believe that I used to feel like that or worse all the time.
  • tamzinb10
    tamzinb10 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I regret every year of waiting to get medical treatment for anxiety. My life is much better now. I doubt I'll ever be 100% anxiety free, but when I have bad days now, it's hard to believe that I used to feel like that or worse all the time.

I completely agree!
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    i took it for depression years ago. i would not be walking this earth without it. good for you for getting help. it/s not an easy thing to do.
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I've been on almost every AD out there, including Prozac. I started with Zoloft and moved around a bit and ended up on Prozac. With all ADs I've taken, it has definitely helped my anxiety and anger issues. None have done anything for my depression. Some have even made me feel like an emotionless zombie (Zoloft in particular). I didn't really notice anything amazing or god awful with Prozac. It helped my anxiety and anger but didn't help my depression. I'm now on Effexor (second time now). Same story, different med. Only plus is that I'm losing weight with ease while on Effexor (I could diet and exercise my butt off with Zoloft or Celexa and no budge..)

If Prozac doesn't work, keep trying. Sometimes you need a combo of drugs. I'm 6 years in on ADs and still trying to find my magic potion. I'm close!

Edit: Have you tried anything specific for anxiety like Xanax or Klonopin? I personally like Klonopin for my severe anxiety episodes. I take the tiniest dose and it helps a lot!
  • 135xo
    135xo Posts: 22
    Options
    I've never had a problem with fluoxetine. It works for me with no nasty side effects.
  • dietcoke281
    dietcoke281 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    It helped me a lot when I was on it for about a year. Towards the end though they kept upping my dose but eventually I had to switch as it wasn't working anymore (after over two years on it). Had pretty bad side effects at the start but they passed within about a month.

Edit: I was on it for depression, not anxiety.
  • Curlychip
    Curlychip Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I think sertraline has better evidence for anxiety and very few side effects. Fluoxetine is a good drug though.
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! She's ruled out Zoloft and other drugs for other medical and/or psychological issues and med incompatibility, so I've had more than one doctor tell me this is the drug they'd most recommend. I'll see if I can get it through my insurance, if I decide to go for it. I might as well try since it's helped so many people.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! She's ruled out Zoloft and other drugs for other medical and/or psychological issues and med incompatibility, so I've had more than one doctor tell me this is the drug they'd most recommend. I'll see if I can get it through my insurance, if I decide to go for it. I might as well try since it's helped so many people.

If you can't, it's a $4 med off insurance. You often need high doses for anxiety, but absolute worst case scenario, that would max out at $20 (per month).
  • Libertysfate
    Libertysfate Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I was switched to them last year for generalized anxiety. It's not a cure by any means, but it does help. I haven't had any side effects, unless you count not being able to drink. :( Overall though, being on medication has helped me immensely, along with healthy eating and regular exercise. I decided to give the medication route a try when my anxiety started to interfere with my daily life.
  • student94
    student94 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Personally, I had a nasty reaction to it, while it has worked wonders for my mother and sister. It seems to work well without many side effects for most. For any type of psychological med I really suggest planning to take it easy your first few days after stating and make sure you have someone checking in on you just in case. Odds are slim that you'll have a problem, but I think it's best to be safe rather than sorry.
  • blathanna
    blathanna Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    im on fluoxetine 40mg a day, honestly its made such a difference. im very sensitive to medication and tried loads of different types, eg serlan etc and found prozac to be by far the best with virtually no side affects. also take seroquel 25 ml at night but this does tend to make my appitite increase, hence why im on MFP again! it has settled down now though somewhat. having loads of healthy snacks on hand helps a lot! and water!