Need help building a workout routine!

Options
My life is pretty hectic, and so is my exercising pattern. I do what I can when I can, but I really want some structure, since I feel like a regimen is ultimately more beneficial than an ever changing workout plan.

I work usually five days a week, but usually two of these are short shifts, meaning I either get off at 10 AM or go in at 3 PM. So two days a week, I have half a day. Tuesdays and Thursdays I have off from work but have classes until 12:30.

Now, keep in mind that I also have an eight month old baby, so the only days I can go to the gym are Tuesdays, Thursdays and occasionally Sunday. Also, I do not own an exercise ball or cords. I've tried looking up different routines or making my own, but my busy life makes that near impossible. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• thetimenexyear
    Options
    I'm training to be a female body builder at now 261 lbs. Mondays-legs (squats 3 sets of 10, lungs-2 laps,etc) Tuesday - Shoulders (lateral raises, big bar lift, etc.) Before I always do sit ups. Depending on your goal is how intense your work out will be. 3 days of 45-60 cardio besides a 10 minute warm up or so other days.
  • michaeljlally1
    michaeljlally1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda in the same boat. I'm a teacher which requires lots of hours, have two young kids, and am working on my doctorate. Right now fitting in time to exercise is priority. I've decided to walk home from work, walk at lunch, and do strength exercises at home with a resistance band exercise machine I bought three nights a week. Getting to the gym has proven unrealistic given my schedule so I've tried to build a plan around my daily routine. We'll see how it goes.

Good luck to you!
  • KatissimusDorsi
    Options
    Are your goals weight loss or do you have specific fitness goals?

If you're just looking for weight loss, you could always skip the gym entirely since you have a young child and do at-home workouts. Something like a circuit of:

1a) Air Squat x 10
    1b) Push-Up x 5-10
    1c) Superman x 10
    1d) Glute Bridge x 15

Repeated 3-4 times.

You can find tons and tons of bodyweight-only at-home workouts online. Here's another one that I like: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

If you can get to the gym, weights are swell and you can get in a great workout in a short amount of time. Something like:

1a) Squat x 5-8
    1b) Dumbbell Bench Press x 8-12
    1c) Palloff Press x 15s each side

Repeat 3-4 times

2a) Kettlebell Deadlift x 10
    2b) Inverted Row x 10
    2c) Plank x 15-25s

Repeat 3-4 times

Those are just examples off the top of my head, but you get the idea:

-Total body
    -Strength moves to maintain your muscle mass
    -Quick as well to maximize the cardiovascular component and optimize calorie expenditure in a short time. (Since you seem to be short on that!)

Let me know if that answers your question or if I should elaborate a bit more. Sometimes I just ramble on!
  • 141by2016
    Options
    If you can't make it to the gym, you might want to try daily burn. It's cheap, and when you list your goals they come up with a program for you. Good luck!
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    If you can't make it to the gym, you might want to try daily burn. It's cheap, and when you list your goals they come up with a program for you. Good luck!

Well, since we have an Xbox One and get Xbox Fitness (a game that features many popular workout/training videos) for free, I had been using it, but I felt so inconsistent since there are so many videos to choose from!

Katiss, thank you for the lengthy and detailed reply! That sounds like a very good place to start and I'll certainly give it a shot.
  • KatherinesRiver
    Options
    When I get out of bed, I do 15 minutes of stretching. Then I do one hour of cardio in my own bedroom with my exercise bike, treadmill and climber.

I work from home on the computer so I am making a point to get up every hour (set an alarm) and climb stairs for 10 minutes.

When I am about 3 hours from hitting the hay, I do another hour of the same routine.

On weekends mostly I add a nice long walk.

All this is making my muscles sore!! I will get used to it!!

Hope this gives you some ideas.:heart: