Eating Burned Calories?

Options
So why do peep say to eat your burned calories?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    To each their own, but I prefer my calories medium rare, so I toss the burned ones out. Keep a closer eye on the stove next time
  • hunkofmexican
    hunkofmexican Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    To each their own, but I prefer my calories medium rare, so I toss the burned ones out. Keep a closer eye on the stove next time

WHAT ? ? ? the guy is asking 4 advice , NOT Gibberish ,... :noway:

Don't listen to him.....There will be others that will respond with ENGLISH >>> Be patient . :drinker:

I thought i saw this guy before .... heres the clip..... :tongue:

Treadmill_gangsta.gif
  • AlMonkey
    AlMonkey Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    its definitely a preference thing, but that is the way MFP is set up and how the app works. Whatever your intended weight loss goal is per week, MFP will have you eat the calories to get to it. If you burn extra calories you'd lose faster without eating the extra, but you may be consuming too few for what your body needs, sometimes you'll end up light headed from it.
    on the other hand sometimes MFP (or the user) overestimates what they've burned and end up eating too many calories

I hope that makes sense, it totally makes sense in my head but I'm not sure how well I put it into words
  • hunkofmexican
    hunkofmexican Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    gamgam12 Hi hunk, Found a couple of links for him to read. I don't know much about this, but maybe after reading these he can find more info on the net http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=27 http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130909033607AArSmg1
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Okay, MFP is designed so that when you put you information in it gives you a calorie goal with a built in deficit. Any exercise you do burns additional calories creating an additional deficit. So you are supposed to eat your exercise calories back.

But exercise equipment and MFP both tend to overestimate the calories burned during exercise. Usually by a lot. That's why people will suggest that you actually eat back 50-75% of your exercise calories. To get a much better estimate of steady state cardio calories burned you should get a heart rate monitor with a chest strap.

Another method of tracking calories and exercise is eating by your TDEE. You can use an online calculator and figure your TDEE, subtract 20% and eat that number everyday. Then you don't eat back exercise calories because they are already figured in. See this calculator http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Hope that makes it more clear.
  • craigheon
    craigheon Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Okay, MFP is designed so that when you put you information in it gives you a calorie goal with a built in deficit. Any exercise you do burns additional calories creating an additional deficit. So you are supposed to eat your exercise calories back.

But exercise equipment and MFP both tend to overestimate the calories burned during exercise. Usually by a lot. That's why people will suggest that you actually eat back 50-75% of your exercise calories. To get a much better estimate of steady state cardio calories burned you should get a heart rate monitor with a chest strap.

Another method of tracking calories and exercise is eating by your TDEE. You can use an online calculator and figure your TDEE, subtract 20% and eat that number everyday. Then you don't eat back exercise calories because they are already figured in. See this calculator http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Hope that makes it more clear.

This explanation is perfect. And I totally agree with a heart rate monitor (HRM). I have one and it's more accurate than the generic read-outs from gym machines, because you input your height, weight, age, etc. It's all based on YOU, not an "Average Joe" like the gym machines read.
  • samiyan05
    samiyan05 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I've found that the mfp or machine burns were only high compared to the hrm burn when I slacked off during my exercises. Lol if I wasn't trying hard the machines number was higher. If I was trying a lil my hrm and machine and mfp numbers were about the same. If I busted *kitten* my hrm numbers were higher than the machine and mfp. Yesterday for instance, I ran for 60mins. MFP says that should have been 796 calories burned. The machine says 810. My hrm said 940! I only logged 901 Bc I'm weird and round down but I say as long as you gave good effort I see no problem eating back at least most of the calories you burn. If you need to.
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    OK I know what they all say and there is a reason behind, your calorie set by MFP is with the activity level you chose, most choose sedentary, then how many pounds you want to lose a week, so many say 2 lbs. so then MFP calculates with sedentary workouts you need 1200 calories.

OK when you add a nice workout which now makes you higher/more active than sedentary MFP says you need to eat those calories back because that is not in the plan. OK I am sure you understand all that and many have most like or will explain it much better.

I do NOT eat my calories back! Many say eat at least 1/2 back, I do NOT. Here is why, simple calorie count you can be wrong and undercounting so IF you are than lets say instead of 1200 you had 1400, if you eat your burned calories back you just over ate for the day. Here is the other part of my reasoning. I also here no you only burned X calories, not as much as you think... OK so if I leave the darn things alone I should lose weight. and I am!

I think listen to your body and do what feels right, if you are hunger eat some of those burned baby's back!
  • Vicxie86
    Vicxie86 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I get confused by this too. So, my tdee is 2200 and -20% will leave me at 1800 and if i burn 800kcal at the gym, that leaves me with a net kcal of 1000 even though my bmr is almost 1900 and yet, i shouldn't eat anymore? The past week, i've netted less than 1000kcal 3 times and i don't know if i'm building muscles as it has only been 3weeks since i joined the gym but my weight is just fluctuating everyday. I know this happens but it's frustrating not to see results on a scale and it's not like i'm losing inches either. I weigh and measure everything, so this isn't from overeating and i use a hrm with a strap.

This leads me to think i am not eating enough contrary to your tdee -20% and not needing to eat back exercise calories. MFP figure is even less than tdee -20% and yet it allows you to eat back exercise calories but if you don't use mfp but use the tdee method, it makes no sense that you don't eat back calories.

If i use sedentary numbers that says i should eat 1600 to lose 1lb per week with no exercise, then i should think the amount of burned kcal should be taken into account when recommending tdee -20%