Bras make breasts saggier?

Options
So this is the conclusion of a French scientist after his 15 year study of the subject.
Women have been wearing undergarments to support their breasts for years — as far back as ancient Greece. From corsets and backless brassieres to the modern elastic bra, these items have been indespensable parts of most women's wardrobe. But new research claims that bras are anything but uplifting.

The study incited an international debate when a French professor performed a 15-year research on the evolution of the bra-less breast.

Jean-Denis Rouillon, a professor at University of Besançon in France, authored a study stating that women are better off not wearing bras. They are scientifically unnecessary, and, in fact, could be hazardous to breast health, leading to sagging breasts and increased back pain.

The study involved 330 females between the ages 18 and 35, out of which 50 were asked to not wear bras. They all volunteered to have their anatomies measured and examined for any changes to orientation using a slide rule and caliper.

"Medically, physiologically, anatomically — breasts gain no benefit from being denied gravity, Rouillon told France Info radio. "On the contrary, they get saggier with a bra."

Specifically, he showed that without a bra, the nipple climbs back up by 7 mm in a year, while the breast overall get firmer and stretch marks begin to fade. He said that by the time a woman hits 25 while wearing the bra, the breasts begins to sag.

One 28-year-old woman identified as "Capucine" participated in Rouillon's study and said she hasn't worn a bra for two years and could attest to the results.

"There are multiple benefits: I breathe more easily, I carry myself better, and I have less back pain," Capucine told France Info.

Back pain has been long associated with heavier breasts and the incorrect bra support. Proper posture is also essential to back health, whether going bra-less or wearing on the undergarment.

Rouillon expressed his belief that culture is at fault for making women believe a bra is required. Nonetheless, he recommends some women to not throw away their bras over this finding.

"It would be of no benefit to a 45-year-old mother to stop wearing a bra," he said.

The modern bra was patented to Mary Phelps Jacob, a socialite who created an undergarment for one of her evening gowns. Its popularity arose during World War I when women decided they needed a device that would be practical to wear in the workforce.
From: http://www.medicaldaily.com/bras-make-breasts-saggier-french-doctor-says-women-better-bra-less-244995

As I have 200 pounds to lose and am concerned about the resulting loose skin I thought this study might have some interesting implications for the extreme weight loss community. This might suggest that shapewear could also contribute to sagginess in problem areas?

Anyone running out to burn your bras just yet? LoL

:drinker:

Replies

• sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    wish I the resources to do studies like this...
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    In.

A world with fewer bras and more tight t-shirts would be a happy place.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    If the study had been run by a female, I might have been more likely to put stock in it.

It's just some man who wants women to go around without bras.

*shrug*
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    DOWN WITH BRAS! (says the woman with 34Bs) :laugh:
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    In.

Sounds kinda jiggly with the growing obesity rate, but I agree.
  • Blue801
    Options
    If the study had been run by a female, I might have been more likely to put stock in it.

It's just some man who wants women to go around without bras.

*shrug*
    Really? You think it is just a dirty French guy trying to liberate the tatas for his own enjoyment? I actually think there is some merit here and would like to read his study.
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I know since I lost weight and my boobs have shrunk I don't even bother wearing bras - certainly makes you a happier, free person :)
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Yeah whatever.

I've been at least a D cup since I was 12. Even then, if I hadn't put a bra on yet and had to run anywhere (like to pursue escaping livestock) it was quite painful.

I could believe it for A's and B's, but not for bigger.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I wear a bra the majority of the day and often sleep in one, and IMO they are not saggy.

yet.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I wish they mention cup sizes. Is a DD going to perk up?
  • Manarelle
    Manarelle Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'd be veeeery curious to find out what the average breast size of those who experienced "less sageness" were… I can attest to the fact that if I were to go without a bra (D cup), I would be cautiously tiptoeing everywhere, grimacing in pain if I moved too fast.

If you can, great! Just don't proselytize that everyone should.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    In.

Sounds kinda jiggly with the growing obesity rate, but I agree.

Not all jiggly is a bad thing. This thread needs more pics. Just so everyone can be their own judge and stuff.
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options

Not all jiggly is a bad thing. This thread needs more pics. Just so everyone can be their own judge and stuff.

for science!
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    If you read the whole article, ( which i did last year) u will note that most of the " subjects" had small ish cup sizes.
    I think the largest was a D. It wasn't a particullarly well designed study from a scientific point of view.
    Also as the age range is 18-35, so most of them were quite young.... I cant remember if any of them had kids...

Also all women should try to do some back and chest excersizes to help maintain/ regain perkiness.
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    i think women (and really everybody) has an unrealistic idea of what natural breasts are supposed to look like. check out this link. *NOTE!!**** NOT WORK OR KID SAFE

http://www.007b.com/breast_gallery.php

yes, its pictures of boobs. in all their natural glory.

there is also a great website, http://theshapeofamother.com/blog/ that shows pictures of REAL women after having a baby (or not in a few cases) yes, they are naked, most of them.

the human body is incredible and beautiful.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Take a look at an issue of National Geographic with pictures of African women out in the bush and tell me how that braless thing is working for them. ;-)

I've been around 34A/B all my adult life. I found when I was about 40 that if I sat around the house in my bathrobe too long (I was working from home at the time), my breasts started to ache at the sides. I concluded that there were probably some important ligaments that were being stretched out and started wearing a bra pretty much every waking hour. At 61, the girls look great. I think I made the right decision.
  • Blue801
    Options
    i think women (and really everybody) has an unrealistic idea of what natural breasts are supposed to look like. check out this link. *NOTE!!**** NOT WORK OR KID SAFE

http://www.007b.com/breast_gallery.php

yes, its pictures of boobs. in all their natural glory.

there is also a great website, http://theshapeofamother.com/blog/ that shows pictures of REAL women after having a baby (or not in a few cases) yes, they are naked, most of them.

the human body is incredible and beautiful.

Unfortunately I compare myself to my mother who at 65 has amazing round perky natural breasts. She wears a bra.
    :sad: :drinker:
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I remember reading about women in many tribes where they carry the babies on their backs and when the kid is hungry, they flop a boob over their shoulder so the kid can nurse.

That braless thing sure is making them perky.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Definitely not going around braless in public any time soon. Let alone exercising without one, a lot more than my back would be hurting after.
  • BigSnicka
    BigSnicka Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I wish they mention cup sizes. Is a DD going to perk up?

From my point of view, or any man's for that matter, it would be interesting to observe the success or the failure......lol