Going low sugar/low carb!

Options
13»

Replies

• HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    IR diet is pretty complicated, in reality, and it's no more/less effective than any other diet unless you have DM2... at that point you're focusing on management rather than reversal, although some people say you can reverse type-II... I don't really agree with that. Low carb at that point is beneficial.

IR/prediabetes can be reversed just by becoming more active, making better food choices most of the time, and losing weight as a result.

ETA: it's basically just a rehash of more healthy eating principles. Plan your meals around protein, which is very satiating, no need to pair specific grams together.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,996 Member
    Options
    Would the insulin resistance diet help PCOS at all?
    It's not really "low-carb" persay but it does help you eat a variety of carbs (30 grams) per meal linked with (14 grams) of protein.
    Weight loss and exercise with weight resistance and HIIT being the more effective exercises will probably make the biggest difference, not sure about the IR diet, never looked at it.

I know that weight loss helps PCOS and i'm pretty good in the fitness area, it's my eating that i am having a hard time getting into especially with PCOS. I figured since this thread was about low carb/GI that perhaps linking carbs with protein could help a woman with PCOS/IR also.
    If you can reduce carbs, I suggest that. Personally I don't think GI has much to do with it and lowering your overall glucose load is probably better.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Would the insulin resistance diet help PCOS at all?
    It's not really "low-carb" persay but it does help you eat a variety of carbs (30 grams) per meal linked with (14 grams) of protein.
    Weight loss and exercise with weight resistance and HIIT being the more effective exercises will probably make the biggest difference, not sure about the IR diet, never looked at it.

I know that weight loss helps PCOS and i'm pretty good in the fitness area, it's my eating that i am having a hard time getting into especially with PCOS. I figured since this thread was about low carb/GI that perhaps linking carbs with protein could help a woman with PCOS/IR also.
    If you can reduce carbs, I suggest that. Personally I don't think GI has much to do with it and lowering your overall glucose load is probably better.

^^^^^^agree.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    but a food's GI is not the same as its GL.

However it's GL = GI/100 * carbohydrate content (grams)

so they aren't independent variables. I forget where "low" GI stops, but some medium GI foods like "whole" grain products are 55-65% GI and therefore well above the GI of a Snickers bar.

Nobody actually eats grains whole of course, if they did they might be low GI.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    but a food's GI is not the same as its GL.

However it's GL = GI/100 * carbohydrate content (grams)

so they aren't independent variables. I forget where "low" GI stops, but some medium GI foods like "whole" grain products are 55-65% GI and therefore well above the GI of a Snickers bar.

Nobody actually eats grains whole of course, if they did they might be low GI.

Indeed. 55, I believe, qualifies as "low".

I generally like recommending it because it's a non- or low-restriction diet marketed as a restrictive diet, particularly to PCOS sufferers. Because GI isn't printed on labels of pre-packaged stuff, you end up thinking about the ingredients of things and actively questioning your food choices and the frequency with which you make those choices.

After a few months it's pretty easy to realise, "actually... this is just making good choices, and it's producing results" lol.

I maintain that low-carb isn't necessary, but that's like a red rag to a bull in a low-carb thread :tongue:
  • jackaroo1223
    Options
    Thank you to those who responded with their own personal experiences. That was what I was looking for. If I wanted scientific studies I could have looked those up myself... Just saying. I have found different things work for different people regardless of what the experts say. PCOS and hormones are very complicated. First hand experience with these issues and how to manage them far surpasses a google search. While I appreciate everyone's expert opinion here, PCOS is not something men should be thinking of themselves as an expert on. Do you have it? Nope. So how can you have first hand experience with it? People on these forums need to learn to be respectful of opinions and be NICE! If you want to be an internet coward being a jerk to people, seriously go somewhere else. This website is for learning, sharing, motivating and encouraging. But most importantly what worked for one person may not work for another, so SHARE and be respectful. Jeez Louise.
  • jackaroo1223
    Options
    I must say I've enjoyed reading this thread. Thanks for the education. I am most definitely IR and figured that out from an old book called the "The Endocrine Control Diet", Calvin Ezrin and Robert Kowalski. It is basically a keto diet, low carb.

What helps me stay on track is to treat myself. Some treats I use are sugarless Jello, an egg custard recipe(6eggs, 2cups coconut milk, 1/4 c maple syrup, cinnamon & vanilla. 325 for 1hr in ramekins in pan of water), and a hot chocolate (Large mug of boiled water, 1TBS heaping unsweetened cocoa, 2pkts sweeter, H&H).
    A recipe I use often works for me: Chicken w/Wine - 8 pieces of boneless/skinless chicken thigh, 2T oil, 1T chopped onion, 1T flour, 1/2 C red wine, 1/2 C chicken broth, 1 clove garlic crushed, 1bay leaf, 1/4 ts thyme, 8 small white onions, 1C mushrooms, sliced.
    In a large skillet cook chicken and chopped onion in heated oil until slightly browned. Stir in flour and cook until well browned. Add all the other ingredients. Bring to a boil. Cover. Simmer for 45 minutes, or until meat is tender.
    Oddly, I seem to lose weight after eating that recipee. I would like to find more that do that.

Thanks for the tips!!! I feel a treat every now and then is important because it's a lifestyle change, it has to be sustainable!