HELP! NET CALORIES IN THE NEGATIVES??!

Options

Replies

• Ambersikes17
    Options
    I do treadmill fast walking/very short jogging for about 15 minutes, to elliptical (bicycling) for 15 minutes, then I do the actual workouts (bench press, crunches, shoulder press for a maximum for 15 minutes. I do a lot of cardio
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    MFP is quite notorious for setting calorie goals FAR too low, regardless of height and weight. For example, it told me to eat 1200, and my BMR (the bare amount of calories I need to LIVE) is 1280. And I am extremely tiny, only 5 feet. So unless you are smaller than me, or bedridden, it is almost a CERTAINTY that you are eating too little. (This can result in lean muscle loss, chronic fatigue, metabolism damage, and bingeing due to over-restriction.)

Go to

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

and enter your height/weight/activity level.

Subtract 10-20% from the number it calculates for you, and that is the number of calories you should be eating a day in order to lose weight.

^ This. It doesn't have to be "brown" food -- just more calories. Food is fuel for your body.

As for "brown" calories, I prefer quinoa as an alternative to rice, etc., but if I need more "brown" calories, I would highly recommend brownies and dark lagers as mentioned above :).
  • Ambersikes17
    Options
    Im going to eat more. I should eat more carbs? I already eat the fruits and veggies :)
  • Ambersikes17
    Options
    Ok the whole "brown" topic has been over a while ago. Let it go please. This has nothing to do with race. Come on now. lol
  • Ambersikes17
    Options
    IT MEANS EAT SOME FOOD!!! AND WHAT, PRAY TELL, ARE YOU DOING FOR EXERCISE THAT IS BURNING 600+ CALORIES AT YOUR BODYWEIGHT??!

How are you alive? Eat some food! Not half this & half that, whole this & whole that!

Im alive by God's grace....
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Okay to put it simply - you haven't reached your calorie goal yet eat more - when the exercise is added you can choose to eat even more because you burned calories with exercise the minus sign means you are under your calorie goal.

As far as food colors pick nice colors like green, red, orange, yellow :bigsmile:

Sorry - try to eat a lot of fresh fruit and veg, lean proteins (boneless skinless chicken breasts, lean beef cuts, etc), complex carbs like multi grain rather than white bread for example. You can eat white bread and white rice just watch your portion sizes but the multi grains and brown rices might be healthier options. White is processed more. Make sure you measure your portions properly and get a scale to weigh your foods. Drink lots of water. Don't think of foods as bad - you can still eat most things just make sure you measure and weigh your portions and keep an eye on your calories. Good luck OP
  • Ambersikes17
    Options
    Okay to put it simply - you haven't reached your calorie goal yet eta more - when the exercise is added you can choose to eat even more because you burned calories with exercise the minus sign means you are under your calorie goal.

As far as food colors pick nice colors like green, red, orange, yellow :bigsmile:

Sorry - try to eat a lot of fresh fruit and veg, lean proteins (boneless skinless chicken breasts, lean beef cuts, etc), complex carbs like multi grain rather than white bread for example. You can eat white bread and white rice just watch your portion sizes but the multi grains and brown rices might be healthier options. White is processed more. Make sure you measure your portions properly and get a scale to weigh your foods. Drink lots of water. Don't think of foods as bad - you can still eat most things just make sure you measure and weigh your portions and keep an eye on your calories. Good luck OP

Thank you so much for being nice about it! I will do that :)
  • CodeMonkey78
    Options
    I need help with what brown meals to eat in the lunchtime/dinner. (brown rice, brown pasta)? I don't want to just eat fruits and veggies, because my body needs a small meal.

It has NOTHING WHATSOVER to do with RACE. PERIOD. It was part of your original question, OP. :)
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    After I got back from the gym today, I realized my net was negative. So what am I going to do? Eat a good, filling dinner, and maybe even have some Oreos later. Don't be afraid of food, especially not when you're exercising.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Okay to put it simply - you haven't reached your calorie goal yet eta more - when the exercise is added you can choose to eat even more because you burned calories with exercise the minus sign means you are under your calorie goal.

Thank you so much for being nice about it! I will do that :)

Your welcome I wanted to add that make sure you measure your trail mix and figure out the calories if you are making it yourself and don't have the package to refer to - it packs high calories - dried fruits are deceiving and I tend to avoid them
  • Ambersikes17
    Options
    YAY! OKAY :)
  • jennycina93
    jennycina93 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Just a helpful tip, I don't know if this was mentioned, but I like to eat a spoonful of peanut butter at the end of the night if I am low on calories or protein. Don't do this as your only source of protein of course but it helps if you are low one day (just make sure you measure it).
  • Ambersikes17
    Options
    After I got back from the gym today, I realized my net was negative. So what am I going to do? Eat a good, filling dinner, and maybe even have some Oreos later. Don't be afraid of food, especially not when you're exercising.

YAY! OKAAY
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Eat more ... a lot more. You're not reaching half of your target. Start focusing on your protein intake which I'd bet is horribly low based on your current food intake.

Weigh and log what you eat. Compare your intake to your macro goals. Your body needs protein, carbs, and fats to properly function.

Accurately log your exercise ... intensity, duration, speed, weight used, repetitions, etc. If your exercise calories start putting you too far below your net caloric goal for the day .... eat more.
  • Ambersikes17
    Options
    I don't know if this was mentioned, but I like to eat a spoonful of peanut butter at the end of the night if I am low on calories or protein. Don't do this as your only source of protein of course but it helps if you are low one day (just make sure you measure it).

SOUNDS GREAT!!
  • Ambersikes17
    Options
    I WILL EAT MORE AND UPDATE EVERYONE. THANKS!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    [/quote

Great, and please ditch the caps lock in the next update. We "hear"you just fine. :laugh:
  • Ambersikes17
    Options
    [/quote

Great, and please ditch the caps lock in the next update. We "hear"you just fine. :laugh:

I LIKE THE CAPS!!! LOL
  • CodeMonkey78
    Options

Wonderful :). Also, my apologies on the caps lock reply; I am far from racist and take that topic very seriously. Good luck, OP!
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I'd say... don't worry about it, you'll be hungry soon. And then eat when you are hungry...