Did losing the weight make you Happy?

Options
13»

Replies

• lavender_fairie
    lavender_fairie Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You are gorgeous and you HAVE lost a lot of weight. If your friend had done this, you would be proud and happy for them. (See what I'm getting at?) don't minimize what you have done- whether it's losing weight or anything else. A good job is a good job- no matter who did it!

I have found in my lifelong journey toward healthy self esteem that self-help books are a godsend. During one of my lowest points, I dragged my depressed *kitten* to the bookstore and pored over all the books in the self-help/inspiration section until I found 2 I thought might help me (tho the whole idea seemed a little hippy-dippy to me, I was desperate). I went home, read them, implemented the changes, trusted the process, and reaped the rewards. It took well over a year, but at the End of it I was in a much better place. I've always been a researcher; I ask myself questions like:
    -what do the experts say about this?
    -what are the statistical chances of success with this?
    -what are common risks/pitfalls associated with this?
    - about whatever I am trying to learn/do/find out about. Knowledge is power. And so it was the same way when I wanted to become more confident, to like myself more. It's the same with my weight loss- I researched it (still am), came up with a plan, implemented it, I tweak it as necessary, and I reap the rewards. I do the same with my relationship. YOU must have a little of this in you bc here you are, having lost a significant amount of weight, and questioning how your brain and emotions will handle these changes, and wondering how your future self will deal with them.

Long comment short, no, weight loss won't make you happy by itself. YOU will make you happy. Bc you will figure out how to BE happy with yourself. All you gotta do is take a deep breath, figure out what you need to do to like yourself and your life more, then be brave enough to try and keep trying. And you WILL make it if you do that and keep trying. Failure only happens when one quits trying.

An aside on guys, from a girl who knows from personal experience----
    You know when Mr. Right will come into your life? At the exact moment when you are way, waaaay too busy and happy doing your own thing to want to fool with him. That's what my mom told me (cliche I know) and she was SOOO right (I never believed her, tried so hard, got disappointed, rinse and repeat, and finally stopped worrying about him and got on with doing my own thing, and BAM- there he was). We have been married 10 years now, and I couldn't be happier, but when he finally showed up, I kinda told him to get lost at first bc I did NOT have time for all that falling in love stuff- I had PLANS. Luckily, he understood and appreciated a woman having her own busy life- in fact it kinda drove him crazy with longing. And really, the rest is history, and a happy one at that.

So, find out what makes you tick and you will be happy- the romance will take care of itself. In fact, most things will take care of themselves if you keep your happiness with yourself as a priority and remember to always be kind to you. You are soooo worth it.

Sorry this was so long. Good luck and you go on with your bad self! :)
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I find I am happy when I look in the mirror if i am exercising, working out and making an effort with my diet irrelevant of my weight. where even at my skinniest when i was slobbing about i kinda sighed when i looked in the mirror.
    i think fitness made me happier than weight loss.
    does that make sense?
  • annie61702
    annie61702 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I don't think it makes you happy if you have other things going on. But there are some things that definitely make me happy about losing weight - feeling confident, shopping for cute clothes, feeling healthy, getting off blood pressure and cholesterol meds, and small victories like that. So it won't take away unhappiness, but it will add some positive things that offset some of it. Good luck!
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    As for dating...I strongly feel it is a good idea to start seeking a partner long before you feel that you're at the "ideal" weight or size.

I really do agree with this. I met my current bf of two years at my very highest weight - I weighed 20 lbs more than he did :(

He thinks I'm beautiful inside and out and he's very supportive in me getting back in shape because he's a runner and would love for me to go on runs with him. But he's not pressuring me into losing weight. He just loves me for me at any weight, really.

I have friends who are obese or overweight who have found the loves of their lives and did not "settle" ... I think most people who truly fall in love with another person's personality and character doesn't WANT their partner to be unhealthy, but being overweight usually isn't a deal breaker when everything else is there.

I've also met way too many men (or women) who rely 100% on looks as to who they date, and those are NOT the men you want to fall in love with. Or women.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Weight loss by itself does not make me happy. Feeling like a super hero, sleeping like a baby, running circles around people half my age, touching my toes, chasing my dog, thinking clearly, reconnecting with my spouse having the energy to do whatever I want...That makes me happy.
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Not "happy", but "happier". I've always been a half glass full mentality. But my sense of well being kicked up a notch when I took off 40 lbs and got back to my college/younger adult weight. I've managed to keep it off within a range.
  • ohyaynj
    Options
    No.

But realising that I can achieve something that previously felt so completely out of my control and reach has made me completely re-evaluate and acknowledge the fact that I am stronger than I thought, and capable of so much more than I realised. THAT makes me happy.
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Weight loss by itself does not make me happy. Feeling like a super hero, sleeping like a baby, running circles around people half my age, touching my toes, chasing my dog, thinking clearly, reconnecting with my spouse having the energy to do whatever I want...That makes me happy.

Awesome post! I couldn't have said it better.
  • NightWriteMermaid
    Options
    I want to disagree with everyone saying that you'll find a man when you lose more weight. I found the best man I'd ever met after I *gained* weight. However, I have found that losing weight makes me happier. Mostly because I feel better. Then it's because I can do more things that I love easier (surfing, yoga, etc). Third, it's because I feel more comfortable in my skin, and then I'm better able to express myself with people, and they get to see the real me and love me for that (instead of self-conscious me, who always seems shy).

Good luck with your weight loss. You're doing wonderfully so far.
  • larryc0923
    larryc0923 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on making such fantastic progress, we are all so proud of you. Your question is very thought provoking so below are some of my thoughts.

Having a healthy lifestyle and being fit do not make anyone happy. However, it can make it easier to feel happy. It can make it easier to feel happy for many reasons that a lot of people have already mentioned such as feeling stronger and more fit, satisfaction from accomplishing a goal, satisfaction from being disciplined enough to live a healthier lifestyle. However, to be happy or not is a choice each person makes each moment of the day. You have so much going for you there is no reason you not to choose to be happy.

Being thinner does not assure anyone of finding a boyfriend. However, given current societal tendencies it can make it easier. It can make it easier for many of the reasons that people have already mentioned. However, many people have overcome these obstacles. You have so much going for you there is no reason you cannot overcome these obstacles.

Take care and thanks for sharing.
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost as much as many on here but being 5ft it has made a substantial difference in my appearance. I am much happier than I was 15-20 pounds ago as I'm more body confident. I think confidence is the main thing that attracts a good man and right now I'd say my confidence is about 75% of what it should be. However that doesn't necessarily mean that when I drop the remaining 9-15 pounds I will be at 100% and my dream man will appear. Unfortunately life isn't that kind but the loss will hopefully make me more open to new opportunities and new experiences which may eventually lead to me meeting someone or at least making new friends.
    In a nutshell - yes I'm much happier than I was 3 months ago, way happier than I was 6 months ago and about a million times happier than I was a year ago and a lot of this is to do with my body confidence.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!