Half Marathon Training starts tomorrow!

Options
I have agreed to do a half marathon in May and I am scared to death! I've been running for the past year about 2-3 (~8-9 miles total) times per week and lifting weights 2-3 times, alternating days. I ran a couple of 5k's last year and one 5 mile race and decided that a half marathon sounded like a good idea. :-) I've down loaded the Hal Higdon Training Program for a Novice and plan to work through that.

Any runners out there or anyone in general have any advice on training and/or nutrition for something like this? I workout at 5 am, on an empty stomach. My long runs will be on Saturdays, mid-afternoon until it's light and warm enough at 6 or 6:30 am to head out for the longer runs. Everything else has been in doors through the winter but hope to get all of my runs outside soon.

I'm so nervous about training and preparing for this! I'm still trying to work out my nutrition and get my calories right to maintain my current weight but I still want to lean out and build some muscle. Is this too much at once?

Thanks to all for any input!

Replies

• byebyefatgal
    byebyefatgal Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am interested in hearing the replies to this, as I am in a similar situation (my race is June 1). I tried to get out today for a run, but the wind nearly took me away! Sorry I cannot provide any advice! Just looking for some myself, lol!
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I suggest joining the long distance runners group. This topic has been covered several times there.
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your decision! I ran my first 1/2 about 8 months after I started seriously running! I didn't use a training plan, and probably could have ran the race faster if I had, but I enjoyed myself! I also run most of my training runs fasted, or on an empty stomach. I run at 5am most days and during the week my runs go up to 7 miles with just water. My long runs are Saturdays and I try to have toast with peanut butter about an hour before heading out, and bring some sport beans with me. That carries me through to 13+ so far. I am currently in week 3 of Hidgon Novice 1 marathon plan! Just continue to fuel your body properly all week and you should be able to stay at or close to current weight!
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    You seem pretty spot on with everything.

I just stated my hal Higgins 1/2 marathon intermediate this week.
    I lift heavy 2 times a week, its stopped all my side stitches, shin splints and other aches and pains.
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Have good shoes, a good rainjacket, and a shoe dryer. No matter what you feel like, or what the weather is doing, go outside and run.
  • AnnaZimm70
    AnnaZimm70 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Im planning on running my first June 8th. I have no particular advice (just starting myself), but appreciate the answers to you post. Good luck with your training.
  • MamaVeys
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input! I will look for the runners group as suggested and keep on plugging away! Good luck to you all with your training as well!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You have a good plan. Nothing wrong with running 1st thing on an empty stomach. I've done up to 20 mi that way. You'll be fine sticking to higdons plan. I run3x a week & strength train 3x a week at the moment while training for a half in may.
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Congratulations for taking on the challenge of the half.

I used Higdon's novice plan for my first half two years ago and it worked out really well. (I'm now using a higdon plan to train for my first full later this year.)

A couple of words of advice -try to stick to the plan as best you can, but don't be a slave to it.

What I mean is, make your best attempt to follow the plan as it is written... It is carefully constructed to help your body adapt and get ready. But if you miss a run or two... Even a long run... Don't sweat it too much. It is usually better just to move on with the plan than to try to shoehorn in a missed workout later on.

Other than that, my best advice is to use your long runs to try out your fuel and hydration strategy... It is important to find out what works for you before race day.

Oh... One more thing. If you can, try to do one or two shorter races before the half (5k or 10k) so you get comfortable with race-day procedures.

Good luck!
  • MamaVeys
    Options
    Thanks! I have a 5k race planned in April and am trying to figure out a 10k if there's one out there or just work it in on my own with a friend.

I need to figure out the fueling during my runs/race. It seems that there are so many options! I would love to stick to actual foods vs gels or gummies but I really don't know what will work the best and be gentle on my stomach!

And of course I woke up today with a stuffy nose and itchy eyes! I may have finally caught what has been going around my house :-(
  • dettiot
    dettiot Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first half-marathon on April 6, so congrats to you for taking on this challenge!

Listen to your body but don't let it get in the way of your goals, either. There's lots of days when I started running and I just wasn't sure how this run was going to go--but as I kept going and always achieved the distance I was shooting for. So go slower but don't stop.

Good luck!
  • WDB1966
    WDB1966 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've done a couple halfs and sounds like you are on right path. Shoes are so important, recommend you go to a runners store to get fitted. Not a sports authority or something like that. Go somewhere that they know what they are doing. I Am in Virginia so VA Runner is a good one in NOVA area. I have also found a running trainer to help on long days for the last one,I had decided late to run with some friends and had to make some big gains in only a couple months. she would monitor my heart rate and help set pace, all things I could do for myself, but she tended to push my comfort zone a little more. I am getting ready to start training for next one this year, myself. Good luck!
  • MamaVeys
    MamaVeys Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice! First week went well and I'm beat! I went to a running store here in Nebraska last September and got running shoes then. But that leads to a question - do you wear your running shoes on your strength/cross training days or do you wear different shoes? I've always just worn my running shoes but I wonder if that's a good idea?