Chicken noodle soup :)

Options
missblissspa
missblissspa Posts: 26 Member
I am a Floridian but I'd like to warm up all you fantastic people up north!
I crave soup, I don't know why but I love that I can have a few bowls and no guilty conscience! This recipe is 199 calories per serving with 7 g of carbs!

I use Nasoya tofu noodles, I KNOW it sounds weird, and when you open the package you will want to yell at me BUT you will be amazed with the finished product to please keep an open mind :)
Nasoya tofu shirataki fettuccine style noodles but they usually offer other types like spaghetti so get the one you like
pasta-zero-all-natural-shirataki-fettuccine-noodles_0_zps383379a5.png
They are found in the produce section with other tofu items. They are a refrigerator item so it will be kept cold.
The noodles need to be washed and drained. I will cut off one end of the bag and dump the juices out then refill with water a few times. It has a fishy odor, I do not know why I don't normally eat tofu but my cousin had me try it before I knew what it was and I honestly couldn't tell it wasn't noodles. You wont ever taste what they smell like, I've always used them for my soups, spaghetti's, and alfredo's. So after you wash them strain/drain and put out clean towels or paper towels to pat them dry. I usually do this step last because I freeze some of the soup without the noodles but I didn't want to turn people off at the end I want to be upfront about it, its good stuff but you only know if you try it....

So, my grocery list it...

1lb bag of carrots (I use pre cut because I don't like all the prep work) use almost half of the bag
1 bag of pre cut celery (I buy the kid ones but stalks are cheaper)
1 onion (I buy whats on sale)
1 fresh garlic bulb
dill (I'm not crazy adventurous but I think other spices would be good, share your opinions please)
salt
pepper
olive oil
1 big package of leg quarters (I buy 4 leg quarters because dark meat has more flavor and I make a lot so I can freeze some)
2 boxes of progresso unsalted chicken broth
(sometimes I add original rotel to spice it up)

I cut the onion julienne style
JulienneOnionFinal_zpsce921418.jpg
and use about half of the onion.
Mince the garlic, if you do not have a mincer it ok, I use my knife. Place the knife blade horizontally over the clove and with a fist smash the blade to squish the garlic, and then remove the skin. Cut into small chunks. I use 3 cloves but I'm not big on garlic...
Set the oven to 350. In a large roasting pan (without the rack) I drizzle olive oil to coat the bottom and put the carrots, celery, half of the cut onion, and garlic in and set aside. I usually make enough vegetables to make a layer on the bottom of the pan to have just as much vegetables as I have chicken. On a paper plate I add 2 tablespoon of fresh dill (use less if dried), 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of pepper, and 1 tablespoon of olive oil and set aside, this is the rub. Use kitchen scissors to remove the skin, or buy skinless of whatever you can find if you do not have kitchen scissors. Once the skin is removed mix the rub and rub all over the chicken, my rub recipe was for 4 leg quarters so don't overload if you have less. Place the chicken on top of the veg and place on top rack in oven. I can guesstimate that it was in there for an hour but I use a thermometer and checked till it was 160 degrees then took it out.

Set up a stock pot with the progresso unsalted chicken broth and everything from the roasting pan, also if you like mushrooms add them in or rotel, and allow it to simmer for however long it takes for the chicken to fall off the bone (an hour). (Hint: roasting chicken with the bone in gives much more flavor and will also give flavor to the broth). The chicken is cooked so taste to see if you want more seasonings.

I let the pot cool overnight with the top on in the refrigerator and throw out bones and dish out for freezer and fridge in the morning. Cook the noodles when your ready to eat, I do not suggest freezing the soup with the noodles.
Enjoy! And stay warm!!

Nutritional facts
chickensoup_zps761a8a72.jpg

**I almost forgot they have COUPONS! Go to this link and sign up and they will email you coupons. Sometimes coupons.com has them too :)
http://www.nasoya.com/tofu-u

Replies

• knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Nice and basic the kind of soups I like - thanks OP - not sure if I can get those noodles here but will watch for them ;)
  • missblissspa
    Options
    I get mine at Publix which is a local chain in the south. I'm glad you commented on this so I can edit and tell you guys where to find it! It is usually in produce in a section with other tofu items, and is kept chilled. Thanks!!
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Thanks sounds great! So are you roasting all the vegetables and then put them in the crockpot? Same with the chicken it sounds like. I will definitely try soon!
  • missblissspa
    Options
    Thanks sounds great! So are you roasting all the vegetables and then put them in the crockpot? Same with the chicken it sounds like. I will definitely try soon!

I roast all the veg and chicken in one roasting pan. Then I transfer to a stock pot on the stove at a simmer, I am positive you could achieve this in a crock pot after you roast the chicken and veg. If you try please tell me how that went :) Thanks!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I get mine at Publix which is a local chain in the south. I'm glad you commented on this so I can edit and tell you guys where to find it! It is usually in produce in a section with other tofu items, and is kept chilled. Thanks!!

Thanks! I will look for them - I live in Canada so the brands might be different but I am sure there is something similar that will work (if all else fails I will use egg noodles :P) Just a suggestion - I often buy boneless skinless chicken thighs for soups and stuff - just saves the work of cleaning the chicken off the bones.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    If you have a difficult time finding the shirataki noodles ask at your market. Mine doesn't stock them but will order them for me by the case. I get 8 little bags at cost when ordered this way. Works out well. :) Just don't give up if you don't find them by the tofu. ASK!
  • missblissspa
    Options

Thanks! I will look for them - I live in Canada so the brands might be different but I am sure there is something similar that will work (if all else fails I will use egg noodles :P) Just a suggestion - I often buy boneless skinless chicken thighs for soups and stuff - just saves the work of cleaning the chicken off the bones.

I like to save time too, but the good thing about roasting then slow cooking is the meat falls off so you just have to fish them out! lol. I hope they have them, and almost forgot to mention they always have coupons! I get them from the manufacturers website in a part called noodle u. BUT I have no idea how that works in Canada but I hope you have luck!
  • missblissspa
    Options
    If you have a difficult time finding the shirataki noodles ask at your market. Mine doesn't stock them but will order them for me by the case. I get 8 little bags at cost when ordered this way. Works out well. :) Just don't give up if you don't find them by the tofu. ASK!

Thank you!!
  • missblissspa
    Options
    Oh my gosh just had a bowl.... so good. I will say that I might have used a bit too much oil, I'd lighten the load a bit. I also added some tarragon and my gosh was it excellent!