Zumba?!?!?! anyone tried it?

Options
2»

Replies

Options
    I have tried both and they are both extremely intense. Especially P90... they both get your heart beating pre fast. zumba is a lot of fun too! Try cycling and walking you would be surprised at how much you can loose with that. Be confident. YOU CAN DO IT!! remember diet is 80% and the other 40 is exercise GOOD LUCK!
  • LeslieReagan
    Options
    Hmmm...I really like the *CRUNCH* series. Actually, if you have Netflix, you can put it on your Instant Queue and stream it! There's a couple of different versions depending on the intensity you want.
  • sabrina35
    Options
    I do Zumba once or twice a week and I love it. But I agree... please talk to your physician before you start any cardio excercise. I understand your weight is important but your life is more. Good luck!!
  • robynrae_1
    robynrae_1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I really do like Zumba, it is a cardio workout. My sugestion is to get a heart rate monitor that will beep at you when you are at a certian HR.
    The cheappy heart rate monitor that I bought from walmart has a function where I can sent my "target" HR. If the beep is turned on it will beep at me if I am below or if I am over my "target" HR. So basicaly I know when to slow down or to put more effort into it.
  • robynrae_1
    robynrae_1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I really do like Zumba, it is a cardio workout. My sugestion is to get a heart rate monitor that will beep at you when you are at a certian HR.
    The cheappy heart rate monitor that I bought from walmart has a function where I can sent my "target" HR. If the beep is turned on it will beep at me if I am below or if I am over my "target" HR. So basicaly I know when to slow down or to put more effort into it.

Added bounus know how many calories burned.
  • missy0709
    Options
    I am looking into do zumba as well. I keep hearing from everyone who has tried it that they love it.
  • jjclem07
    jjclem07 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Love Zumba..going with a friend tomorrow!! Really works you out!! Cycling does raise my heart rate anymore because I am use to it, but Zumba makes it fly!!! Getting ready to P90X on 2/28!!
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    heart rate question, Im pretty sure they dont want it over 170, when they admitted me into the hospital and realized I had the condition my heart rate was 299 - 303 they were freaking which was causing me to freak, I was in and out of conciousness, it was real NOT good....so now I have to take 2 meds a day im thinking walking and biking is my best et for right now, im 30 years old and feel like im 50 it sucks

There's nothing wrong with starting out walking. Talk to your doctor, of course. Wear a heart rate monitor. If you do a month of two of walking 30 minutes a day 5-6 days a week, you will build your heart up so that you can handle other exercises. You could try Zumba to see, but personally I would start walking first. I was in a wheelchair for 2 years (in my 20's), and I know it sucks, but I started with walking and had to build up for a while before I could do other things. It's not the end of the world to give yourself a strong foundation before you try to jump in and end up over-doing it.
  • cookingcriolla
    Options
    I love Zumba, I was going once a week until I fell and injured myself but hoping to go back to class next week. I also have the wii Zumba which is pretty good but nothing like the 100 people in a gym to keep you motivated. As everyone has said it can be very intensive so you need to check with your doctor.

I have a lot of the Leslie Sansone Walk dvd's which I love. There's all different types but basically your walking in your home to your capacity.

Good luck with whatever you choose and let us know how you make out!
  • kris1085
    kris1085 Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I love doing Zumba! I do the zumba on the wii alot and go to class once a week ! A good workout and lots of fun !
  • Julbella78
    Julbella78 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba! It's definitely an all over workout. I have only taken two classes but I can definitely feel something happening with my body!
  • MoonMyst3
    MoonMyst3 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Pilates...no I havent! that would be great...can you recommend a good dvd? we live in a very small town and they do not have any classes here?

I would recommend the Winsor Pilates program or any pilates dvd by Mari Winsor. Here's a little info about her and her program(s):

For over 15 years, Mari Winsor has run several successful L.A. Pilates studios where she personally trained many Hollywood stars, plus she authored several books on the subject. Her system of “dynamic sequencing” has the controlled, Pilates moves flowing at a faster pace, making them burn more calories while they tone your body. In fact, it is guaranteed (and trademarked) to “Sculpt Your Body Slim” in 20 minutes per day, three times a week.

The Winsor Pilates Basic 3 DVD Workout Set includes a Basics video, a 20 Minute Workout, and an Accelerated Body Sculpting pilates video. The Basics video teaches you step-by-step the seven main exercises of the Pilates method using her dynamic sequencing. The 20 Minute Workout is fun to do and is designed to quickly sculpt your body thin. The Accelerated Body Sculpting segment is a 57 minute workout that targets all the areas of your body. It is a powerful total body workout that will reshape your body from top to bottom.

Once you are comfortable with those dvds, you may want to try the Winsor Pilates Fat Burning System which contains four workouts in one but be sure to start with the Basics... there's a reason they are 'trademarked'!!

Lastly, I would also suggest that you see your doctor to find out what your heart rate should be at to provide you with the greatest benefits of working out while remaining in a safe range. The watch that you can 'set' to beep seems like the best option to ensure you are hitting that target zone as well.

Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • crissa71
    crissa71 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm a Zumba addict....I go to an hour class 3 times a week....but, I haven't really thought about the calories burned...it is a pretty intense class so I think I will need to go get a HR monitor if I really want to know what Zumba is doing to help me on my weightloss journey! Can anyone tell me about how much a HR monitor costs? I'm on a pretty tight budget...thanks!
  • skinnymindie
    Options
    I just started Zumba and it the best thing I didi not think I was gonna be able to keep up But I did I am 330lbs and I could do it. I am doing it about 3 times a week I think with watching my caolries I can get over this Hump I am in. My problem it trying to make sure I eat enough calories because I am buring so many in the afternoons..
  • got2go2concerts
    got2go2concerts Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba too! I go twice a week. My particular instructor always says go at your own pace. She will show a non modified version of the move, then a modified version... You can always slow it down to your level (I have to do that on some of the moves, LOL) but it's a great workout. As others have stated definetly talk to your doctor about what's best for you... Good luck!!! I am a newbie on here too!