do resistance bands work?

my hubby bout me a resistance band today and i was wondering if they are useful or not. i want to trim my tummy down and heard resistance training is the way to go, and since i dont have weights, he got me those.

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Resistance bands are good for physical therapy (rehab) and mobility work.
    calorie deficit is good for trimming tummy down.
  • mlima14
    mlima14 Posts: 112 Member
    Yes they work for toning and losing weight. There are many exercises you could look up on YouTube that you could do and see results. As for the loosing the tummy, it's all in the way you eat, portion control, and macros. You could exercise your but off but if you don't follow a healthy diet it's not going away.:ohwell:
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Resistance bands are where I started. They helped me a lot. I was terribly afraid of injuring myself when I first started to exercise. They will help you build muscle and burn calories, which will help you become stronger and reduce fat on your body. Where the fat comes off is up to your body. If you want to know if they will help, try some of the exercises that come with them. If the exercises are challenging, then yes, they will work. If they are easy and you could do 50 of each one, then no, you are too advanced and will have to challenge yourself in another way.
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    thanks everyone!
  • jardimgirl
    re-bump for more answers :)
  • drew0013
    drew0013 Posts: 8 Member
    Yes they work. Like any thing else you have to use them right so you don't hurt yourself.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Yes they work, of course. Look up some workouts you can do with them. Make sure you take care of them well and watch for any tears/cracks in them. Avoid storing them in sunlight because it can damage them. If you notice any sort of damage on them STOP USING THEM. You ever have a rubber band snap on your finger and scream, "OUCH ****!"? Now imagine that, only 1000 times the size. They are completely safe as long as you take care of them.
  • jardimgirl
    can they help preserve muscle?
  • jardimgirl
    can they help preserve muscle?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    I would say that you will have much better results with a program of heavy lifting with compound movements = squats, deadlifts, overhead press, pull up/chin up, rows, bench press…

starting strength and new rules of lifting for woman are good resources….

as far trimming your tummy down ..calorie deficit is what will cause that…
  • Yes they absolutely do. Have been doing taebo workouts with resistance bands and have improved my fitness incredibly, toned up and lost weight
  • Am also doing weightlifting with 15lb max weights and lots of reps
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    I would say that they are an excellent tool to begin with and much cheaper than weights.
  • jardimgirl
    have any of you tried these?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    It doesn't much matter what makes the resistance, just as long as you do it. Free weights & body weight I would consider the 2 best options with bands & machines better than doing nothing at all.
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    I bought a 20LB resistance band but Im too short for it to work LOL
  • jardimgirl
    I bought a 20LB resistance band but Im too short for it to work LOL

lol i am a shorty too :laugh:
  • katiemegcz
    katiemegcz Posts: 49 Member
    I was just going to post a similar question. i have the eating down and am steadily losing weight. I wanted to make that lifestyle change first before I added new exercise (I do walk, but nothing formal). I travel 80%, and many of the remote places I go have no gym, so I just bought resistance bands (actually tubes) to add to whatever cardio I can do on the road.

Does anyone have a favorite beginning video for the resistance tubes/bands? I know there are plenty of videos on youtube, but many of the places I travel to have limited or no wifi, so I want to get something I can keep on my iPad or laptop until I get the exercises down.