HELP! NET CALORIES IN THE NEGATIVES??!

Options

Replies

• Ambersikes17
    Options
    So I just read that 6 pieces of watermelon rings candy are 120 calories. Think I will treat myself a little :) I feel better already now. Thanks guys :)
  • Ambersikes17
    Options
    I'd say... don't worry about it, you'll be hungry soon. And then eat when you are hungry...

Okie dokie
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I WILL EAT MORE AND UPDATE EVERYONE. THANKS!

YAY!

Your new calorie goal is much more reasonable, and your burn numbers seem about right. So, give it about a month and see where you are. If you lost more than a pound a week, then goody for you, you get more calories! If not, then it may be that your intake was higher than you thought and you need to weigh/measure your food.

I try to hit 110-120 grams of protein a day. I do rely heavily on chocolate protein shakes and Quest bars, both of which are delicious so it's not a hardship (just an fyi - they are brown). I tease, I tease. Everything else I just kind of let fall where they may. I'm much better about my fruit and veggie intake in the spring/summer. But in the winter I suck at it.

Plus, watermelon rules. IMO, a life without watermelon is not worth living (no matter what Achyra says, she is WRONG about this, just WRONG).
  • Ambersikes17
    Options

YAY!

Your new calorie goal is much more reasonable, and your burn numbers seem about right. So, give it about a month and see where you are. If you lost more than a pound a week, then goody for you, you get more calories! If not, then it may be that your intake was higher than you thought and you need to weigh/measure your food.

I try to hit 110-120 grams of protein a day. I do rely heavily on chocolate protein shakes and Quest bars, both of which are delicious so it's not a hardship (just an fyi - they are brown). I tease, I tease. Everything else I just kind of let fall where they may. I'm much better about my fruit and veggie intake in the spring/summer. But in the winter I suck at it.

Plus, watermelon rules. IMO, a life without watermelon is not worth living (no matter what Achyra says, she is WRONG about this, just WRONG).

Yayyy but the watermelon I am talking about is not the actual fruit. Its gummy candy :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

GOOD TO KNOW!
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else find it hilarious that the OP ate two nuts :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Anyway I'm not going to repeat what everyone else has said so I'll say this instead (normally people have posted these links by now but here we go). You need to educate yourself properly about how weight loss works so here's a few links. Please read them all as it will stop you from getting bizarre notions about food. In a nutshell if you burn more than you eat you will lose weight (but don't go crazy!)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants - Probably the best one
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6832-eating-all-of-your-calories-bmr
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/8977-your-body-s-thoughts-on-calories
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6737-true-confessions-from-a-slow-learner - and especially this one in your case.

Hope they help
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

YAY!

Yayyy but the watermelon I am talking about is not the actual fruit. Its gummy candy :)

Well, alright. This is what I get for skimming. She might be okay with gummy watermelons. I'm not sure. I CERTAINLY am. Enjoy them!
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options

Also to burn 655 calories you would need to be running at a fair speed for a good 2 hours or so. If you have just used the count on the treadmill (or whatever) it is bound to be way incorrect. Even MFP, Calorie King or Map My Fitness calorie counts are so far out of the field I am very wary of using them in case I overestimate my excersise calories. Maybe cross reference your calorie counts with other sites to see if you get a similar tally.

655 for two hours of running? For just how light of a person and at what speed? Mayo Clinic estimates 606 calories per hour for a 160 lb human at 5mph ... one of the lower estimates.

The math resulting in needing two hours of running to burn 655 calories is suspect.

lol. 655 cals burned in 2 hours of running at about 6mph for a hobbit child, MAYBE. and even then, it would have to be a very small hobbit child.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    OP, you are adorable. And a good sport.

Follow MFP exactly the way it's designed, at the 1 lb a week setting, and you'll be fine. This means that you should eat a minimum of 1200 calories every day, no matter what (unless you are sick or other unusual circumstances.) When you exercise, you increase the calories you've earned. You can try it the way you are calculating, but if you find you aren't losing, try eating back 50% of the exercise calories instead of the 100% to account for any overestimating.

If you log your food and exercise and stick to MFP as it's designed, you'll do great. And as a shorty, I promise that there is no reason to fear 1200 calories. You can eat more than that and still lose weight. So if you have a day where you have 1800 calories, don't beat yourself up and think you've ruined it. Worst case scenario, you've eaten at maintenance, and you're likely to still be at a deficit, even without exercise. That gives you a lot of breathing room.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    Can you post up the exact weights and calorie breakdown of what you have eaten and what you did and how long for for your excersise because I seriously think your counts are off. For example, Calorie King calculates two slices of whole grain bread equalling 218 calories on its own without anything added. I eat around 390 cal for breakfast alone and that is not usually much more than 2 poached eggs on a slice of wholegrain bread, 2 fried mushrooms and a cup of coffee.

Also to burn 655 calories you would need to be running at a fair speed for a good 2 hours or so. If you have just used the count on the treadmill (or whatever) it is bound to be way incorrect. Even MFP, Calorie King or Map My Fitness calorie counts are so far out of the field I am very wary of using them in case I overestimate my excersise calories. Maybe cross reference your calorie counts with other sites to see if you get a similar tally.

here are my numbers today:
    goal: 1200
    food: 963
    exercise: -350
    net- 613
    remaining: 587

Let's go back to step one because there are some serious issues here.
    How tall are you?
    What is your current weight? Goal weight? Planned loss per week?
    What is your activity level?

From there we can look at your BMR (number of calories your body burns just to exist ... basically what you would expend in a coma) and your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure ... basically, what you burn from normal activities plus your BMR). Once those are established, it's simple math to calculate your daily caloric goal to lose a planned amount per week to reach your eventual goal.

The other huge issue here is your caloric intake and burn. Please list exactly what you are eating ... what it is and how much by weight and/or volume (EXAMPLE - 4 ounces of skinless chicken breast, 1 cup of coffee, 3 ounces of tuna ... whatever you are eating). Then list exactly what you are doing for exercise to justify the burns you list ... are you doing an hour an the elliptical, running 12 minute miles for five miles, DVD workout (if so, which one), lifting, etc?

Without that data, fixing your negative net calories is based on guessing.

i'm 22
    5'5
    My scale keeps going up and down but my weight is around 148 lbs. I want to lose 20 lbs. I just changed my setting on MFP to 1lb loss per week.

I just started this so I've only been eating 1 cup of scrambled eggs, one slice of Arnold's 100% whole wheat bread slice, light yogurts, water bottles, tuna sandwiches/subs (6 in) and 1/4 cup nuts. 3 slices turkey and 3 slices black forest ham, bowl of salads with tomatoes, 1/4 cup light kraft cheese

anything for dinner/tea/supper?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I do treadmill fast walking/very short jogging for about 15 minutes, to elliptical (bicycling) for 15 minutes, then I do the actual workouts (bench press, crunches, shoulder press for a maximum for 15 minutes. I do a lot of cardio

1/2 hour of cardio is not 'a lot'. I am 5'6” 125 and I need to run longer than 1 hour to burn 600 calories. The resistance training will not burn a lot.

With your new settings, try entering in half of what the machines are telling you you burn. And eat them back.
  • Ambersikes17
    Options
    I do treadmill fast walking/very short jogging for about 15 minutes, to elliptical (bicycling) for 15 minutes, then I do the actual workouts (bench press, crunches, shoulder press for a maximum for 15 minutes. I do a lot of cardio

1/2 hour of cardio is not 'a lot'. I am 5'6” 125 and I need to run longer than 1 hour to burn 600 calories. The resistance training will not burn a lot.

With your new settings, try entering in half of what the machines are telling you you burn. And eat them back.

I didn't do 655 burned calories ALL TOGETHER. I did one morning workout (including other machines than treadmill) and one evening workout too! Burned 655 together is scary. I burned 655 then entire day all together not at one time
  • Ambersikes17
    Options

Follow MFP exactly the way it's designed, at the 1 lb a week setting, and you'll be fine. This means that you should eat a minimum of 1200 calories every day, no matter what (unless you are sick or other unusual circumstances.) When you exercise, you increase the calories you've earned. You can try it the way you are calculating, but if you find you aren't losing, try eating back 50% of the exercise calories instead of the 100% to account for any overestimating.

If you log your food and exercise and stick to MFP as it's designed, you'll do great. And as a shorty, I promise that there is no reason to fear 1200 calories. You can eat more than that and still lose weight. So if you have a day where you have 1800 calories, don't beat yourself up and think you've ruined it. Worst case scenario, you've eaten at maintenance, and you're likely to still be at a deficit, even without exercise. That gives you a lot of breathing room.

What does OP mean?
  • Ambersikes17
    Options
    Does anyone else find it hilarious that the OP ate two nuts :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Anyway I'm not going to repeat what everyone else has said so I'll say this instead (normally people have posted these links by now but here we go). You need to educate yourself properly about how weight loss works so here's a few links. Please read them all as it will stop you from getting bizarre notions about food. In a nutshell if you burn more than you eat you will lose weight (but don't go crazy!)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants - Probably the best one
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6832-eating-all-of-your-calories-bmr
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/8977-your-body-s-thoughts-on-calories
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6737-true-confessions-from-a-slow-learner - and especially this one in your case.

Hope they help

Well it's not that funny....:-/ it kept me full and thanks
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options

What does OP mean?

OP = Original Poster - you started the thread so you are OP
  • Ambersikes17
    Options

What does OP mean?

OP = Original Poster - you started the thread so you are OP

lol thanks...slangs i need to get used to
  • One2Run
    One2Run Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Agree with this. I did 1 hr on the treadmill this aft, and my HRM was 250 cal less than what the machine said. They are normally pre-populated for a larger and older (than 17) person.

I also don't count strength training for added back cals.

ETA: meant to quote the poster who said to count less cals burned than what the machine said.
  • Ambersikes17
    Options
    Okay so here are my numbers for the day:

Goal: 1490
    Food: 1748
    Exercise: -350
    Net: 1392
    Remaining: 92

How did I do?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options