Happy with weight but want to lose fat

Options
Hey guys!
I've done pretty well with my weight loss so far and don't actually want to go further down (at least not much), but I do still need to lose a lot of fat. So what should I do now? Increase my calories but continue the same workouts? Or something else?
HELP NEEDED!

Replies

• navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy.

Rigger
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy.

Rigger

Agreed. Eat at TDEE, lift heavy **** ;)
  • jessnoire
    Options
    not helpful...
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    How is that not helpful? That is what I'm doing at the moment, and I can see that my bodyfat % is going down.

Mon, Wed, Fri is weightlifting, about 30-45 minutes
    Tue, Thur, Sat/Sun is cardio, usually running, about 45 minutes.
    I burn around 2500-2800 according to my Fitbit, and that is also what I'm eating.
  • AnneBronte2
    Options
    I found that I lost more fat when I lifted weights 5 days a week. Each day I worked a different part of my body--e.g., chest, back, legs, arms, core. Actually, I did a core workout twice a week. I ended each workout with a 20 minute cardio workout. Intervals were key. I also would do HiiT workouts. This exercise program was fairly time consuming, but it worked.

I'd also recommend that you make sure you are eating enough protein. When I was losing weight before, I tended to eat 3 oz lean protein 5 times a day, along with loads of veggies and a small amount of slow carbs (e.g., say 1/4 to 1/2 cup of quinoa). Also, to help your body build muscle you should be sure to ingest some high quality protein within 20 minutes of lifting heavy weights. I drank a whey protein shake between the weight lifting and cardio portions of my workout.

I'm trying phase 1 of Atkins now to see if I can drop a bit more fat. At the same time I intend to return to a workout routine much like the one I described above.
  • hzliiz
    hzliiz Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Just because it's not what you want to hear doesn't mean it's not helpful. Rigger is correct. Lift heavy.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I agree with Rigger.
    And actually, what he said is most helpful.
    Weight training, coupled with eating at maintenance and with a decent amount of protein. HIIT for cardio can also be helpful.
    I lost a decent amount of fat doing Stronglifts, HIIT and intermittent fasting, personally, while eating 2000-2500 calories a day.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy.

Rigger

Agreed. Eat at TDEE, lift heavy **** ;)

This is the magic. I've gone from 26% BF to just over 18% in a year, but have lost only 6 pounds on the scale.

What's not helpful about simple advice that works?
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    But what do you set the TDEE to? Maintenance? -15%?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Well if you don't want to lose any more weight, but lose fat, that ain't gonna happen UNLESS you add some lean weight. And usually that entails a surplus with some progressive overload lifting.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If you want to biuld muscle, you need to focus on strength training. Might not be what you would like to hear, but there is no other way.
  • allysteven880
    Options
    losing weight is one of the nice method. i like it to continue it. this is the most beautiful way to live the successful life.
  • jessnoire
    Options
    What is TDEE?

I never did strength training before and have no idea about the gym equipment and how to use it.. :/
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    What is TDEE?

I never did strength training before and have no idea about the gym equipment and how to use it.. :/

Total Daily Energy Expenditure...... Basically, it's maintenance.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    not helpful...

Actually, it was very helpful. You want to lose body fat? Lift heavy. Want to look good in a bikini? Lift heavy.

Now, you should do some research on lifting programs and decide which one might be best for you. There are lots of options, but the best ones to get started with are Strong Lifts or New Rules of Lifting.

If you're worried about the *how* of lifting - hire a trainer for a few sessions to show you what to do. Or watch youtube videos on form. Look for videos by Mark Rippetoe.