Ladies with Long (straight) Hair

Options
13»

Replies

• NoMoreStretchyPants
    Options
    try using Morrocan oil...pretty expensive but really great stuff.

This stuff is awesome. Also, in the shower, slather on your conditioner, leave it on for a few mins and then comb those tangles out with one of those wide-toothed combs. I've never had an issue with tangling and my hair is almost down to my *kitten*. One more thing..when you're sleeping, braid it. When I leave my hair loose in bed I wake up with crazy tangles.
  • olehcat
    olehcat Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    My hair probably doesn't qualify as long yet (it's just past my shoulders) and it's not really straight (more wavy), but it's definitely closer to straight than curly. My hair is extremely fine (baby fine) which means tangles galore if you don't watch out, especially if I leave it down and it's windy outside. My solution has been to wash my hair with conditioner only. I just use the cheap Sauve products (ocean breeze is my favorite). No tangles and no static in this long winter we've had. I brush my hair about once a day, I guess. Only brush it dry. I don't comb or brush it after washing it until it's dry. If my hair starts looking a little oily, I will use a clarifying shampoo about once a month for my roots.
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I use a wooden paddle brush from Aveda. It's awesome!
  • nataliesweet19
    Options
    I never brush it. I like the bedheaded look
  • MizMiami305
    MizMiami305 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Goody Tanglefix brush!
  • ohkurt18
    ohkurt18 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I use the teatree shampoo and conditioner. I also use aussie leave in conditioner, and i get my dead ends cut off every now and then.. it workds for me!
  • ladycadaverous
    ladycadaverous Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My hair is down to my butt. I don't brush it. I usually just wash and condition a few times a week. I use hot oil treatments and coconut oil when its dry in the winter. I tend to keep it in a bun most of the time and never use a curling iron or hairdryer. I donate it once a year to locks of love however not this year so I can donate 3 feet next time instead of the usual 2ft. Hope this helps:)
  • BurnBabyyyBurn
    Options
    I actually don't use a brush :/ I find that brushes tug too much on my hair. I use a wide-toothed comb.
  • weightedfootsteps
    weightedfootsteps Posts: 4,349 Member
    Options
    I just buy the brushes at walmart that are for detangling can't remember the name...I wanna say nubby or something...I would brush once a day. After showering I applied moraccan oil as well...or garnie fructis oil to the ends of my hair to brush through...rarely blow-dried. I would wash my hair every couple days..sometimes every three days depending on oiliness.

I do dye my hair about every six months...not big on upkeep.

Recently cut my hair and donated it so working on growing it back again to donate again :)
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I have fine hair that tangles easily. ..I use a leave in conditioner/de-tangler with a wide tooth comb.
  • squeakyb
    squeakyb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have long dyed hair that loves to get tangled sometimes into one big dread! It's also really fine and the chlorine from swimming does not help. I've tried a bunch of different shampoos but Goldwell is probably one of my favorites. And it's purple! You should be able to find it pretty cheap on amazon. But otherwise I do put a leave-in/detangler in before I brush it out after washing and that helps wonders. I still try to find ways to help it from breaking or becoming super frizzy because of swimming, but so far it's been alright.
  • sokkache
    sokkache Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I don't really have a specific brush I use. I just use the normal paddle brush in the mornings. If I blow dry my hair, I use a rounded brush to give more volume. I have pretty straight hair, but my hair is fine and gets tangled and messed up since I take a shower at night and sleep on it. In the morning, I brush it out. Brushing out the hair from the bottom up is easy because it gets rid of tangles quicker, but I bet you already know that. Then I put some volumizing spray and blow dry for a couple of seconds to add volume. Then I straighten it so it'll be silky all day and then I put serum in it so it won't tangle. It seems like a long process but it takes me 5 minutes or less.
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    Options
    Enjoy makes a great spray that both conditions and detangles. I also use a large paddle brush.
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Ausie products. 3 Minute Miracle when it gets to the point you're describing. Condition, condition, condition...then it doesn't get that tangled that the darned brush won't go through it. Oh, and I use one of those vented brushes with the plastic bristles or a paddle brush. The ones with the natural bristles don't go through my hair at all, and don't get me *started* on the round brushes. WTF are those anyway?
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    My hair is to my hips, and I'm on several long-hair forums similar to this one.

You really shouldn't brush much. Most of the time, use a wide-tooth comb. Never brush wet hair. When you do brush, use a boar bristle brush to distribute the oils to the length. Only shampoo your scalp - the length really doesn't need it more than a few times a month, if that. Don't pile your hair on top your head and mush it all around when you shampoo - that just causes tangles. Use a good conditioner and leave it on for a minute or two before rinsing. Jojoba or coconut oil applied and left on for a couple of hours or overnight several times a week is a great treatment. Consider bunning or braiding your hair when out in the sun and wind.

Treat your hair like antique lace and it'll look great. Good luck!
    This is some really good advice!
  • AnexRavensong
    AnexRavensong Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I know I don't really count because I have naturally curly hair.. but when I DO brush my hair after spending forever to straighten it (nearly classic length) I use one of those paddle brushes. I have an ionized paddle brush. Not really sure if the ionized part is actually helping, but I do find it works better than the cheapy brush my daughter (who does have straight hair) uses on hers. Her hair ends up less static-y and frizzy.
  • diddles19
    diddles19 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    a tangle teaser brush, they are fab

This !