What exactly is lifting "heavy"

Options
I see this term everywhere and am not sure exactly what it means. What defines "heavy"?
I have been lifting weights for approx 3 months now and the max weights I can lift right now are:

squat - 20kg (44 lb)
deadlift - 30kg (66)
shoulder press - 17.5kg (38.5)
tricep pulldown - 13.5kg (29.7)
bicep curls - 8kg (17.6)
leg press - 100kg (220)

Is this classed as "heavy" or should I push the weights a bit higher to bulk up? I can do 4 sets of 10reps with the final 2 of each set being a struggle and I always try to go the next weight higher for a final set of 5. I am 59kg (129 lb).

At what weight would I start lifting heavy?

Replies

• SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    What are your goals and how did you choose your rep range? For strength I would work on sets of 5. The max I would do is 6-8 reps per set with the last rep of each set being difficult to complete.
  • hammycakes
    hammycakes Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    lower reps, higher weights.
    Personally I think it's up to the individual on what heavy is, but you should be sweating and shaky when you are done :)
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Heavy is a weight that you can't push, pull or squat very many times because well, it's heavy
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    nm
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it matters if this is your 1-rep max, 3-rep max, or weights you lift for sets across (how many reps and sets you do at this weight)...

Are you counting plate weight alone, or plates & bar weight? (you should always count bar weight, and know what it is... some bars are 15kg, some are 20kg).

When I first started it took me maybe 3 weeks to build up to a 30kg 5x5.

Agreed that "heavy" is subjective, and is based literally on what weight is difficult for you to lift for a low rep range.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Generally, it means what you can do 5 - 8 times with good form. And we typically reserve it for compound movements (squat, deadlift, bench press, barbell row and overhead press, and various Olympic lifts).
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    "Heavy" in the fitness world is only relative to the individual. It doesn't matter what anybody else thinks it is.
    Anything you can lift for 1-3 reps, with proper form, you should consider "heavy" for yourself.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    lifting heavy doesnt really mean anything (much like the term "tone"). it's basically a way for some women to distinguish the fact that they are doing strength training rather than lifting with 3 pound weights doing a trillion reps of triceps kickbacks that we see recommended in women's magazines
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Hey all, thanks for all the replies. So I understand now that "lifting heavy" just means lifting as heavy weights as you can for around 5 reps at a time, not endless reps of light weights.
    What are your goals and how did you choose your rep range? For strength I would work on sets of 5. The max I would do is 6-8 reps per set with the last rep of each set being difficult to complete.

My goals right now are to firstly lose body fat until I get to about 15% and maintain lean muscle mass. I have started recently counting calories and am eating about 1400 per day and not eating back excersise calories of about 300 - 400. I also do a lot of cardio to burn fat. Mainly lifting weights to maintain muscle and tone up.
    Yeah, it matters if this is your 1-rep max, 3-rep max, or weights you lift for sets across (how many reps and sets you do at this weight)...

Are you counting plate weight alone, or plates & bar weight? (you should always count bar weight, and know what it is... some bars are 15kg, some are 20kg).

When I first started it took me maybe 3 weeks to build up to a 30kg 5x5.

Agreed that "heavy" is subjective, and is based literally on what weight is difficult for you to lift for a low rep range.

When using barbells I include the bar weight which is 20kg for deadlift bar and prob only 10kg for squat bar. Other excersises are done on plate machines apart from dumbell lifts. This is only a small selection of the excersises I do. Usually 6 different excersises each visit working on a 3 way split.

I am guessing a 5x5 is 5 sets of 5 reps?

My trainer started me on 6 sets of 15 reps per set at much lower weights mainly to get good form but now I am increasing the weight over the past few weeks and lowering reps. I generally do 10 - 15 reps over 4 sets. Should I now increase weight to a more difficult weight and lower reps? I don't generally sweat much but do occasionally feel shaky after workout and definately sore for the next few days (so continually sore lol).

I would really like to get the sort of muscles the competition fitness models have - toned and defined.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Is there a particular reason you're doing a split as a beginner? a lot of people would agree a split is only useful coming off an intermediate routine, and would suggest a full body for a beginner for greater results.

5x5 is indeed 5 sets of 5 reps.

And this:
    My trainer started me on 6 sets of 15 reps per set at much lower weights mainly to get good form but now I am increasing the weight over the past few weeks and lowering reps.

would be why your lifts aren't as "heavy" as someone who has been lifting as long as you have. Your numbers aren't bad at all for a "few weeks" at a low rep range. Deadlift is a little low but if you're doing 4 sets of 10-15 reps, 30kg is understandable.
    Unless you started at those numbers a few weeks ago and haven't progressed since, that's nothing to worry about.

Cardio isn't necessary for burning fat.
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Well my trainer asked if I would prefer a 3 way split or a 6 way split and I chose the 3 way. I like doing a different body part each workout and concentrating on a particular muscle group rather than doing a whole body 6 times a week.

I tried increasing my weights last night for my chest/back workout and managed to go up a plate on some and not move on others. If I don't go up in weight I increase number of reps. I find it easier to up weights past comfort zone on the pin machines more than when using a barbell as I'm very cautious of getting hurt if I can't lift the bar and it falls on me :laugh: