HRM what do you use and why?

Options
2»

Replies

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I use a Mio Alpha wristwatch HRM (I don’t like messing with the chest strap), linked through Bluetooth to the Digifit app. I have been happy with it so far (it was a Christmas present so I haven’t had it long).

I use it for all exercise, even non-steady state. It is less reliable for things like strength training, but it does give me roughly the same calories per minute burn rate as tables I’ve found online, so it is as good a method as any for figuring out my calorie burn.
  • a_de_jong
    Options
    Hi!

I use the Polar H7, because it connects to my iPhone via Bluetooth to:

1. My Runtastic app, which then feeds into MFP automatically
    2. My Polar Beat app (free on the app store and fun to connect with on the Polar Flow website)

It also hooks up with my Polar Loop :-) and I don't need a super duper Polar wristwatch :-)

Hope that helps. If not, just yell.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I have both a FitBit One for daily activity and a Polar FT4 for cardio. Most of my cardio is indoors - swimming, stationary bike, etc so I didn't need one with a GPS. When I do walk outside I use MapMyWalk on my phone. It uses the phone GPS to map where I'm going and calculate pace, etc.

My MFP activity level is set to sedentary because I have a desk job. However I'm making an effort to be more active by taking the stairs, parking further away, etc. The FitBit tracks that extra activity, and when appropriate gives me extra calories in MFP.

I have found the MFP calorie burns for cardio to be much higher than either the FitBit (for walking) or the HRM. The HRM still may not be perfect, but I think it is closer than the default MFP numbers. I use the HRM for activities like biking or swimming where the FitBit isn't any good.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Forgot the why: Phone because I have it with me anyway and doesn't cost anything extra.
    I have a phone which does ant+, but you can always get a bluetooth or bluetooth lite heart rate strap for other phones.

Motoactv - because it was the most comprehensive device I could find.
    It works as a pedometer, so also does running cadence without a foot pod. Presents you with a total burnt calories at the end of the day including *everything* and so on.
  • Murph1908
    Murph1908 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    For the Polar FT4, do you need to wear the watch, or is all of the biometric sensing done by the chest strap?

I am looking to get a monitor, but I want to use it for my boxing workouts, and fear the watch will be too uncomfortable under the boxing glove.

Thanks
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I don't use my polar anymore, I know from the mileage now. I don't log weight training. I do use map my run for mileage .
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    For the Polar FT4, do you need to wear the watch, or is all of the biometric sensing done by the chest strap?

I am looking to get a monitor, but I want to use it for my boxing workouts, and fear the watch will be too uncomfortable under the boxing glove.

Thanks

clip it to your belt :)
  • Murph1908
    Murph1908 Posts: 125 Member
    Options

clip it to your belt :)

Which would be something I would do if none of the biometrics sensing is done through the watch. That was my question.
  • jjking54
    jjking54 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I bought the Polar H7 because it links to my iPhone and using an app will sync with MFP after each workout so I don't have to log anything.

Same but I use mine with my Galaxy S3. It's fantastic.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Polar FT40.. initially got it because of the colour but after having it for a year (and having a chance to use the Polar FT4), I definitely prefer it. The features on the watch meet my needs. I could careless about how much I'm burning daily and just want to know approx how much I'm burning during cardio.
  • Arydria
    Arydria Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I use a Mio Alpha wristwatch HRM (I don’t like messing with the chest strap), linked through Bluetooth to the Digifit app. I have been happy with it so far (it was a Christmas present so I haven’t had it long).

I use it for all exercise, even non-steady state. It is less reliable for things like strength training, but it does give me roughly the same calories per minute burn rate as tables I’ve found online, so it is as good a method as any for figuring out my calorie burn.

Hubby had bought a Mio and confirmed through testing that it was accurate, and I was thrilled with the idea not dealing with a chest strap, so he bought me one.

But I saw the launch of the new Galaxy Gear Fit, and I'm now drooling for one of those!!

Edit: Digifit is an awesome app too!!