Quinoa Virgin

Options
13»

Replies

• willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I don't rinse it.

My favorite way to eat it is to cook it, let it cool, and serve it cold with diced tomato, cucumber, red onion, and feta cheese. I've also stuffed bell peppers with some of that "quinoa salad " as I call it - and baked the peppers in the oven. Yum.
  • Resanzo
    Resanzo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Quinoa with Apricots and Pecans

3 tablespoons chopped pecans
    2/3 cup quinoa
    2/3 cup orange juice
    2/3 cup water
    1/3 cup chopped dried apricots
    1/4 cup golden raisins
    2 green onions, finely chopped
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon salt

1. In small nonstick skillet, toast pecans over medium heat, stirring often, 3 to 4 minutes or until lightly toasted. Tip onto a plate; let cool.

2. Place quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer; rinse under cold running water 2 minutes. In medium saucepan, stir together quinoa, orange juice and water. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 12 to 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Transfer the quinoa to a large bowl. Add apricots, raisins, green onions, cilantro and toasted pecans. Stir in lemon juice, oil and salt.

Makes 4 servings
  • KeKeRoRo
    Options
    Quinoa can often be found for much cheaper in the bulk food section at the grocery store, so if you find you like it check there to see if you can save a bit. I always put quinoa in with my rice to give the rice a boost. I put it in the rice cooker and put in for example 1/2 cup rice, 1/2 cup quinoa, 2 cups water. Great for anything that we eat rice with (stir fry, side dish, etc.)
  • KeKeRoRo
    Options
    Wow this one sounds good. I will have to try this one! Thanks for sharing. :)
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I've been dying to try quinoa for a long time but it's been a little out of my budget. I finally got a box and realized I have no idea what to do with it. I thought I'd use it in soups or stuffed peppers like barley but I thought maybe you guys would have some suggestions!

Any awesome quinoa recipes for somebody who's never cooked with it?

Also: How can I effectively rinse it without a strainer? I didn't realize I needed to rinse it and won't be able to get a strainer until next week. :C

It does not need to be rinsed.

I eat it as a side. I flavor the water with garlic powder, dried onion, or what ever I feel like. Cooking it in chicken broth is great too.

You can use it for anything you would use rice in.

It reheats rather well. I do a fantastic roasted vegetable and quinoa bowl with feta and pumpkin seeds that is out of this world. Here is the recipe and pictures:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.593022150772364.1073741847.282449018496347&type=3
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    tag to yum later!
  • godsrose
    godsrose Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    bump
  • alltheweigh170
    alltheweigh170 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    bump...some great ideas
  • Sunflwer3
    Sunflwer3 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • tnkitty
    tnkitty Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I like to make a full batch of quinoa all at once, it keeps in the fridge for about a week. A quick meal I enjoy is heating up some shelled edamame in the microwave and putting it on top of warm quinoa. Just flavor with some salt and butter (I use Brummel and Brown). It's a very filling meal. :-)
  • mrsjobba2
    mrsjobba2 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi ,
    I've never used quinoa either - got a few questions

- is it a grain - carbohydrate or protein?

When you weigh it out how much do you use per person ( grams rather than cup as I'm in uk) & what's tha calories?

Thank you - some of these reciepes sound yummy!
  • charliejenny
    charliejenny Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hey Mrs jobba....its all of them lol

Anyway my favorite is boiling with chicken broth then scramble frying with egg white and veggies... It taste just like fried rice frombthe Chinese mmmmm
  • scubagymnast
    Options
    I like plain quinoa with dried cranberries or cherries and chopped walnuts.
  • jazchlo
    jazchlo Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have never tried this either, but I will be with these ideas!
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Found this on a blog site while reading a recent post for making healthy food on a budget.

http://www.poorgirleatswell.com/2012/02/recipe-strawberry-banana-quinoa-muffins.html

Love the idea that quinoa packs a lot of protein. Don't have any strawberries on hand but am going to make it with blueberries and bananas tonight.