Advice for running when you can't get out of the house?

Options
I'm trying to start running to get in shape-- My first minigoal is to be able to run a mile without having to slow to walk (Yeah, I'm realllly out of shape). I usually go the gym or run outside, but my 14-month-old daughter is sick! I don't want to take her outside in the stroller, and I'm afraid to have her at the gym nursery when she's already got a cold. Any advice for things I could do in my own home that will keep me on track? Will running in place keep building up my endurance? Or are there any other cardiovascular exercises that will target the same objectives as running, that I can do in my house? Thanks in advance for advice! :)

Replies

• carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Anything where you can keep your heart rate elevated for a long time would probably be good, such as aerobics tapes. I might also suggest doing some strength training in your legs, which helped me get better at running. Either walking up and down stairs or doing some lunge-type exercises... I like my WiiFit for some of that.
  • jmoff67
    Options
    Anything you can do physically, that will elevate your heart rate to the same level will be beneficial and help keep you on track to improving your fitness. Cross training is good anyway! Do you have stairs? You could just walk up and down the stairs for an equivalent amount of time and monitor your HR to see if its the about the same and that would help.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Running in place works just fine. I've done it myself many times when I couldn't get out of the house. Crank up some music or turn on the tv if you're bored. There are many other exercises you can do at home, also. Pushups, jumping jacks, squat jumps, crunches and just running up and down stairs are just a few of them. Or you can pick up some workout dvds. Have fun!
  • Bluediesel
    Options
    Do Plyometrics DVD from PX90! YOU WILL BE SWEATING AND BURNING LIKE RAPID FIRE
  • amg_89
    amg_89 Posts: 184
    Options
    any sort of plyometric move will be great for you, almost like a hill workout, because you'll have to do intervals. Here's a list of some random things you can do. Do 30 seconds of each then take a 30 second break. Repeat however many times you feel you can.

Jump Knee Tuck: Start with knees slightly bent and jump, bringing your knees up toward your chest and bring your hands to your knees. Land with knees slightly bent. Go at whatever pace you feel you can sustain for 30 seconds.

Stance jacks: Start standing, then jump into a squat and bring your right hand to your left foot, then jump up, feet together. jump into a squat and bring your left hand to your right foot, jump up feet together.

Pedal: You sprint in place as fast as you can and every 5 seconds you jump into a lunge with your right foot forward, left foot back, then jump and switch feet, then sprint again.

mountain climbers: you just run in place but bringing your knees up toward your chest (a high-knee run) and reach your arms up like you are reaching for the stars! (or climbing a mountain i guess)

Ski Down: aFter you climb the mountain, what better than to ski down it? Just jump from side to side with your feet together (dont twist!) and land with your knees bent each time. EAch time you land, also bring your arms back like you are skiing.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    You can do quite a lot of things to build up cardio endurance and work up your running muscles in the house - jump rope (with a pretend rope), high knees and butt kicks, side-step toe touches, jumping jacks, etc. I like to do intervals - 30 seconds on, 10 seconds off or so.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    P90X or Insanity workout DVD's. Insanity is all cardio circuit training or HIIT.