Day One..& Completely Lost. Help?

Options
Hi all,

My name is Britnee and I am a 28 year old mom. I have always struggled with my weight and when the scale tipped 270lbs, I decided that enough was enough and that since this is a problem I CAN control, I am going to do just that. A little about my "progress"...(which isnt much) Lol.

**I stopped drinking soda on Jan. 1st (I used to drink atleast 4-5 cans a day) I now mainly drink water and lightly sweetened tea.

**I started working out last Weds, Feb 19th. and have gone to the gym every day since then.Day 1 I was only able to do a mile on the treadmill, and today I did 5 miles total using a combination of the treadmill and elliptical.

**I changed *most* of my eating habits but struggling with a few that I know the longer I go without, the less I will crave them, so that is still a work in progress. I have cut out all chips, cookies, brownies, cakes, etc. along w fast food.

Now on to my confusion.

A couple different sites have told me that my BMR is 1973 and that my TDEE is 2367....which is great and all but what the heck do these numbers tell me? and what do I do with them? I realise that the BMR is what my body burns by itself just to function... so should i eat atleast 1973 calories a day but no more than 2367? idk..Im confused and I was reading on another board about this topic and everyones answers were way different from one another.

I would like to lose closer to 2lbs a week, seeing as I have the weight to lose. I am a 28 yr old female, 5'6 and 270lbs. Any help, advice, suggestions etc are greatly welcomed!

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    First off, your TDEE is incorrect as it should include your exercise. If your BMR is 1973, a TDEE of 2367 means you're setting your activity level at sedentary. If you're working out every day for at least an hour, your TDEE is probably more in the 2700-3000 range.

Second, your calorie goal using the TDEE method would be a 20% cut from your TDEE so even if we went conservative with 2700 for TDEE, that would bring your daily goal to 2160.

TDEE is basically another way of saying maintenance calories so there has to be some sort of cut in order for you to lose weight.

Either way, you are correct about eating at least your BMR. Just make sure you recalc after every 10 pound loss.

I like scooby - it calculates everyting for you once you enter the right info into the fields:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Also wanted to say, it's not completely necessary to cut all of that stuff out of your diet. It may be better for your health, especially if you're dealing with certain medical conditions, but not needed to lose weight. If you're one of those all or nothing type of people, I get why you might need to in order to stay on track but I've personally found that if I try to cut out all the goodies I like, I end up craving and giving in or even giving up after a few months. It might be better to allow the occassional indulgence, and maybe even plan it so you know it's coming and can avoid other temptations, to keep on track. Just a thought...

Best of luck!
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your decision to change. Did you plug your stats into MFP to see what it gives you?

Running your numbers I think 1925 is about right for you. I use http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ and have for a year now adjusting every 5 pounds lost.

Sustaining a 2 pound a week loss is difficult. It might happen at the beginning anyway but I wouldn't expect it. Go for 1.5 pounds a week would be my suggestion.

Good luck and welcome aboard!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    You can also just eat what MFP gives you for cals and add exercise then eat that back too. Do to cut out too much, as then you will feel deprived. Just stay within your calories.
  • zilfig64
    zilfig64 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Check out htis thread posted by one of the moderators for MFP:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

The Section: Setting Your Calorie and Macro Targets will answer all of your questions about your TDEE, and the rst of the threads/posts are full of great info - helped me a ton when I started 10 months ago.
  • FitCowgirl8
    FitCowgirl8 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    First off, your TDEE is incorrect as it should include your exercise. If your BMR is 1973, a TDEE of 2367 means you're setting your activity level at sedentary. If you're working out every day for at least an hour, your TDEE is probably more in the 2700-3000 range.

Second, your calorie goal using the TDEE method would be a 20% cut from your TDEE so even if we went conservative with 2700 for TDEE, that would bring your daily goal to 2160.

TDEE is basically another way of saying maintenance calories so there has to be some sort of cut in order for you to lose weight.

Either way, you are correct about eating at least your BMR. Just make sure you recalc after every 10 pound loss.

I like scooby - it calculates everyting for you once you enter the right info into the fields:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Also wanted to say, it's not completely necessary to cut all of that stuff out of your diet. It may be better for your health, especially if you're dealing with certain medical conditions, but not needed to lose weight. If you're one of those all or nothing type of people, I get why you might need to in order to stay on track but I've personally found that if I try to cut out all the goodies I like, I end up craving and giving in or even giving up after a few months. It might be better to allow the occassional indulgence, and maybe even plan it so you know it's coming and can avoid other temptations, to keep on track. Just a thought...

Best of luck!

^this. Your TDEE basically incorporates all the activity you do in a day and theoretically if you ate TDEE every day you would maintain your current weight. In order to lose you need to cut approx 20% from this number. Scoobyworkshop is what most people swear by to get your numbers for me this site http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ seemed more accurate. None of these calculators will be 100% correct so you have to adjust as you go after seeing how your body responds to a certain calorie level. Also, don't feel like you have to cut things out of your diet completely. Doing that is more likely to make you fall off the wagon. Enjoy your treats just in moderation and when they fit in your calories for the day. Good Luck!!
  • Ktg_911
    Ktg_911 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    After adjusting my information It calculated to BMR 1973, and TDEE to 3058. (Assuming that a 1 hour workout session is moderately active, on top of work) 20% of 3058 is 2446, so as long as I am between 1973 and 2446 I should be fine, correct? Thanks for catching that mistake for me, btw!

And I am an all or nothing type or person. I am afraid if I say "Oh this one time wont hurt anything" that it will start happening more often than not and I don't want that to happen. And surprisingly enough, (so far) I don't even miss that junk! Im sleeping better, waking up in a way better mood and with more energy! Im SUPER excited to start this journey!

Thanks for posting the links, they really helped!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    As long as it's sustainable long term. For me I would never want to give any food up long term, and I need a lifestyle that will work forever. If you go all out and can't sustain it, then you will just go back to the way you were, and maybe you need to ease into it for it to work this time.
  • lfabbric
    lfabbric Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your choice to lose weight. I know how hard it is to lose weight and even how much harder it is to start. I just hit the -100 today.

The BIGGEST recommendation I could give is to not start your diet yet and just buy some new plates. :)

I will get crap for saying that, but oh well.

The biggest thing people do when starting a diet (with such a large weight to lose) is jump into losing weight without understanding their current needs. In addition, they are very aggressive with the approach they take when they start their diet. If you are aggressive with portion sizes, calories in and out, and exercise - your body will adapt and you will hit a plateau. The plateau is the diet killer - this is when people quit the diet after not losing a pound after 1, 2 or 3 months and start eating again out of frustration. (and they gain even more then they lost)

Introduce small changes over time and as you get more comfortable, they will become habit forming.
  • aelphabawest
    aelphabawest Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    It *is* easy to fall into the "oh, this one time won't hurt" - but it's also really hard to maintain Never Ever Eating a Brownie Ever Again. And this is about lifestyle change - not dieting. So make changes that, for the most part, you'll follow for the rest of your life.

I lost 60 lbs, maintained for about five years, then came back to lose some more in conjunction with the running love I picked up. Some things that worked for me, in the long run, so I didn't have to cut out sweets entirely.
    - Trader Joes sells 100 calorie dark chocolate bars. In separate packages.
    - If I knew I'd be going to a restaurant where I Really Wanted Dessert, I would do an extra workout to balance it out.
    - The only dessert I regularly keep on hand is sorbet. One half cup serving satisfies the sweet after dinner, clears the palette - and is only like, 120-150 calories.

You don't need to deprive yourself. :-)
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Welcome and congrats on all your changes!
  • jtyler83
    jtyler83 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt worry about not eating your bmr. I very rarely eat mine. According to scooby's bmr calc, it is set to 1822, and i usually eat 1500-1700 no big deal
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt worry about not eating your bmr. I very rarely eat mine. According to scooby's bmr calc, it is set to 1822, and i usually eat 1500-1700 no big deal

Please do not listen to this. You need to eat at least your BMR as it's the amount of food you need to just function on a daily basis. When losing weight you will lose LBM, but eating at least your BMR, hitting your macros, and lifting a few times a week will help limit this and that's a very good thing.
  • lfabbric
    lfabbric Posts: 17 Member
    Options

Please do not listen to this. You need to eat at least your BMR as it's the amount of food you need to just function on a daily basis. When losing weight you will lose LBM, but eating at least your BMR, hitting your macros, and lifting a few times a week will help limit this and that's a very good thing.

That is not entirely accurate. As long as you eat around 1.2-1.5 times your ideal LBM in grams of protein and include minimal weight training, you could eat 400-800 calories a day without significantly reducing your LBM. (Not that I would recommend it for anyone). On the flip side, if you do not have enough protein and you eat over your BMR in calories, you will lose LBM. Set your protein based on activity level and then fill in the rest of those calories with fat and carbs.

Cheers.
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options

That is not entirely accurate. As long as you eat around 1.2-1.5 times your ideal LBM in grams of protein and include minimal weight training, you could eat 400-800 calories a day without significantly reducing your LBM. (Not that I would recommend it for anyone). On the flip side, if you do not have enough protein and you eat over your BMR in calories, you will lose LBM. Set your protein based on activity level and then fill in the rest of those calories with fat and carbs.

Cheers.

I would venture to guess it would be nearly impossible or extremely difficult to get enough protein only eating 400-800 calories a day unless you're only eating protein powder, which would be unsustainable. Its easier to just eat more and make sure you're hitting your macros eating real food and only substituting with supplements as needed (and yes I do drink protein power and eat bars, but it's a once a day thing... not at every meal).
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    One thing I noticed is that the OP is exercising every day. I think it's a good idea to take a rest day every now and then, to let your body recover.