best app for walking/running?

Options
I've used smart runner and im currently using runtastic. I have a windows phone, and im looking for a trusted app to monitor distance, speed, and calories burned. Since i dont hold one steady pace i don't like just logging in one pace for X amount of time here on MFP, because i don't think im getting the right amount of calories placed into my dairy.
The reason im starting to not like runtastic is because the distance is a little different every time, and i walk the same route every day... It just makes me wonder if anything else is a little off.
Do you guys use any apps for this sort of thing? if so, what would be the best and most accurate choice? I do realize it won't be 100% perfectly spot on, but i want to get as accurate as possible.

Replies

• Deadlay
    Deadlay Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the Runtastic app is like on a windows phone but I have the iPhone version and I love it...I purchased the full version (99 cents I think?) and use it for every run. It calculates distance, time, pace, etc and allows you to race against yourself based on previous runs.
  • aribugg
    aribugg Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Alright. A confirmation of accuracy helps too. thanks :]
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I use maymyride which can be used for walking, running, biking, hiking etc. It seems pretty accurate to me and its free. It shows you how far you go, your split speed, calories, and gives you a map of where you've walked or ran. It also syncs automatically with MFP.

Oh, and it talks to you too! Tells you when you've gone a mile and so on. I love it!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    The issue lies with your hardware, not the app. Your GPS has a margin of error and that is usually the cause of varying reported distances from the apps.
  • aribugg
    aribugg Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Ohh, i see. so everything else is still pretty accurate?
  • paperfiish
    paperfiish Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I had this problem. I actually bought a bodymedia fit so that I could have a better idea of my real calorie burn every day. I still use endomondo to time my work outs and keep track of distance/elevation change/pace/workout history, but it's not that great for calories, so I usually compare my MFP results to what my BMF says and go for the average between them. You probably won't ever get a really accurate idea of your calories unless you get something like a heart rate monitor or other device that can monitor your actual physical effort.
  • JoePanda512
    Options
    I use Runkeeper to map my runs. It also automatically adds the calories I burned directly to MFP so it's a little easier to keep track of.
  • jaz141
    jaz141 Posts: 32
    Options
    I've used RunKeeper and Nike Running apps. Both rely on the GPS for accurate distance tracking. So when I run on a wooded trail, the distances are not correct. Of the two, I prefer the Nike Running app because you can program it to tell you your time/distance/pace at different intervals of your workout, either by time or distance.