Need some advice please

Options
I had gallbladder surgery on Tuesday. I expected that I would lose weight during this, especially since there were a couple of days where I couldn't eat more than some crackers. Much to my surprise and horror, I got on the scale this morning and it was up 6 pounds! I am feeling very bloated and my stomach looks like I'm pregnant. Someone please tell me this is temporary. Those 6 pounds were hard to take off and to have them reappear again sucks! Anyone been through this?

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    From what I've heard, bloating is pretty common after many types of surgery. (A quick google for "post-surgery bloating" will confirm that!) You're still healing - don't stress too much over it! Just eat well and drink plenty of water (follow whatever post-op instructions you were given) and give your body time to get back to normal. I have no doubt that it's just temporary weight gain - if you didn't eat enough to actually gain weight, it has to be.
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    Please do not stress over this. Surgery (or any injury really) causes inflammation. There is no way that the doctors cut you open and took something out and you suddenly gained 6 lbs of fat. Its most likely water and inflammation, nothing permanent.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    When your body goes into "shock" from surgery you will retain water, in particular around the site. It is very normal for your belly to be bloated right now. Any weight fluctuation of about 4 pounds up or down is absolutely nothing to be concerned about, we all see that at times.
    Give yourself the time to heal and drink LOTS of fluids and eat a very well balanced diet. You will lose that once your body is healed enough for it to let go of the retention.

Good luck!
  • Bechard05
    Options
    your body needs time to readjust itself to the changes that took place during and after the surgery. Give it a little time to adjust and do not worry about the reappearance of those lbs. They will come off and more!!! Don't beat yourself up about it and make yourself feel worse. Just relax and let your body heal and do its natural thing!
  • chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Just drink fluids and you'll release the bloat.
  • batty5
    batty5 Posts: 193
    Options
    Just to echo what everyone else has said, has happened to me after every surgery & I have had a few, just eat healthily all will be well & speedy recovery.
  • LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I had gallbladder surgery a few years ago and before I had it the hospital had me sit through an explanation of everything that would take place (on a computer). Anyways, the bloated looking like your pregnant is because they fill you up with gas to help separate your organs so they can get to your gallbladder. It lasts for several days but will eventually go away. You may have extra burping, reflux and gas because of it. Had I not sat through the demonstration I would have never known either.

Good luck.
  • 19marie74
    Options
    Don't stress its just the gas they used for surgery. It will go away.
  • mimisfat
    mimisfat Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Give it a few more days. Post surgical swelling and bloating are common.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    It will go away, give the chemicals a couple weeks to get out of your system. Lots of fluids, lots of rest, and stool softener if you need it. Don't push the recovery, just take it easy for a few weeks.
  • Shash27
    Shash27 Posts: 172
    Options
    I went through the SAME thing last year when I had my gallbladder out. The bloating takes awhile to go away but it does..and so will the weight :-)
  • dansu2000
    Options
    Thanks everyone....that makes me feel better:) Seems like the doctor would clue you in on some of this stuff beforehand!