Confused - do I eat my exercise calories or not ?

Options
Do I eat my exercise calories or not and should my calories be in deficit to loose weight ? Slightly confused.

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    If you are following the MFP plan..then yes. The program sets you at a deficit even if you don't exercise. If you are following some other eating plan, then maybe, probably not.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Read the sexypants stickie. It explains this very well.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    Your calorie goal is already a deficit...that's why you put your goals and all that other info into the calculator...so it can do it's job and calculate a deficit for you as per your goals. Your calorie goal is a deficit from maintenance without exercise...your activity level should only include your day to day type of stuff...in this you are using your diet for weight control and exercise for fitness...ultimately, it is a pretty essential concept if you want to maintain your weight when you get it down.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    at least a portion of them.
  • birdland33
    Options
    It depends on what your goals are, and how you set those goals up in your profile. If you set up your profile to calculate a 1 lb per week weight loss you want to eat the calories that keep that line as close to zero as possible.

If you set the goal for 1 lb per week and every day you are -500 you will lose two lbs a week, and if every day you are +500 you will lost nothing.

So, the answer is, assuming you set a weight loss goal, you would want to eat those calories to keep the goal on track.