anyone know about addison's and excersice/nutrition

Options
I have Addison's and have three basic questions if anyone can answer any of them.
with Addison's, you are on a high sodium diet, I don't think this has been a huge issue but it is still a concern of weight gain even though you do not produce sodium properly.
next: With Addison's, my workouts tend to be more of an effort to get results than used to (before diagnosed). In the morning, shortly after morning steroid dose, I can do a fairly good workout, fell ok. but I do not feel my heart rate is elevating very well. In the evenings, I work out again, same exercise as morning, and I can't get my heart rate near as high as the morning work out. when the body is stressed, your heart actually slows down. I do not want to take a dose of steroids at night since it is later and it exceeds the dose I am trying to maintain. anyone have anything that may help with making a workout better with a heart rate that doesn't elevate that well.
If anyone else knows about Addison's, I would really like your opinions on exercise and losing weight

Replies

• Jille0
    Jille0 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have secondary Adrenal Insufficiency brought on after radiation of a pituitary tumor last year. I do not eat a high sodium diet, as primary is different from secondary. I have been gaining weight steadily since beginning to take hydrocortisone replacement. I am now staying vigilant with what I am eating and utilizing the TDEE. Weight loss can be different for those of us having to take steroids daily.

Regarding exercise, I would definitely recommend speaking with your endocrinologist and maybe a trainer that specializes in working with people with health issues. You may also want to search other athletes that have Addisons. I just recently came across a few that are quite inspirational. Dusty Hardman is an endurance runner with Addison's. Look her up, she may have some helpful tips for exercise, too!
  • weinerdude
    Options
    Thank you for posting. It seems very hard to find fellow Addisonian's out there unless your on a medical site.
    I think my food is under control (finally), it was hard to find what would make you feel worse and cut that out of your diet.
    I think with the exercise, I can get my heart rate up in the mornings, shortly after taking the prednisone, but in the afternoons or evenings, it seems to be much harder to accomplish that same feat. I have read that the more exercise you do, the more drugs you should take. Personally, as bad as prednisone Is for you, I would rather struggle a little more than to keep upping my intake.
    If you ever have any other thoughts, please let me know. I have spent a lot of years getting the Addison's under control with the proper diet and medicine intake
  • Jille0
    Jille0 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am relatively new to the whole adrenal insufficiency thing. It is challenging to exercise with the muscle fatigue that I get in my arms and legs. I am just now back to the point where I can walk long distances again.I have gained so much weight since I started taking the hydrocortisone. I do find that I need to take more steroids in certain situations. I just found some blogs from people that have Addison's that are athletes and I feel really inspired. I have decides that come October, when it's not too hot out here in the desert, I am going to run in a 5k. I don't want to hurt my knees so I am working on getting my weight down 50-60 pounds by then. I am finding that eating lower glycemic carbs and higher protein is helping my energy levels to stay pretty stable throughout the day. I am eating a ton of greens and the color is finally returning to my face! Some days are definitely better than others. Here's to the up days!!!
  • weinerdude
    Options
    Your awesome. thanks for the inspiration. My bad days were getting the best of me. attitudes like yours really help. Thanks
  • aless820
    aless820 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Though I don't know in particular about Addison's, I do know as a nursing student the balance between sodium and water intake. The less water you drink, the more your body retains the water is has, along with the sodium, causing bloating. I would suggest drinking lots of water(not too much!) so that the water prevents too much sodium retention, preventing weight loss.
  • weinerdude
    Options
    That makes since, my stomach gets almost pregnant looking after a workout and I can't suck the muscles in. I try not to drink too much at a time but more frequently during a workout. I stop every 3-4 minutes, wipe my face and get a drink. usually a mouthful of water. never drink Gatorades. now with Addison's you are already sodium deficient. Any idea's on that? I do crave salty stuff a lot.
  • FocusKimFocus
    FocusKimFocus Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have Addison's and was recommended a high sodium diet early after diagnosis. I didn't get to feeling "normal" until I started taking a mineral-corticoid (fludrocortisone) to help me with electrolyte balance. My sodium intake might be a little high, but I try to keep it within USDA guidelines. I think the fludro might also help with moderating potassium levels (Addison's patients tend to have high potassium which can be dangerous). Worth asking your doc if you are not already taking fludro.
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have primary Addisons. I was diagnosed about 2 years ago and subsequently put on a lot of weight. I don't have your issue with not being able to get my heart rate up.

What medication are you on? I was on hydrocortisone which I took in the morning, at lunch time and in the evening. My body stopped absorbing that so my endo put me on dexamethasone which I just take in the morning. I find I am normally ok energy wise all day unless I am very stressed. If I experience stress then my blood pressure drops and I just want to lie down and sleep.
    Are you having regular check ups with your doctor? Also, if you are working out twice a day maybe consider just working out in the morning instead?
    While I have no issues with getting my heart rate up I do find that any progress in terms of fitness is painfully slow. It took me about a year to get to the point where I could run 5k!

Jille0, could you post some of the blogs you have found? I would love to read them.