Why am I not loosing weight?

Options
Hey everyone, Ill try to give you as much details off the top of my head but I finally started consistently working out (5 days a week) and dieting (did the Shred Diet then incorporated that lifestyle into daily habits) since Decemeber and I've only lost 1 pound!! I weigh myself every Monday morning and its still the same, 162 (I am 5'6). I stay in my calorie range (1,400 max) and rarely eat junk food except sometimes on the weekend here and there. I mix up the variety of my food based off of what exercise I do that day ie. more protein on weight lifting days and moderate carbs for energy on cardio days. I do 3 days of cardio and 2 days of strength training and 1 day of full body beginners yoga. Any tips or advice would be great!

Replies

• FitGeekery
    FitGeekery Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Are you eating 1400 cal net or total? Are you logging exercise, if so are you using an HRM or the defaults on MFP? They are usually overestimated because it really varies based on height/weight/fitness level. If you open up your diary to the public that could also help to give an informed opinion.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    You are either eating too much or overestimating your exercise cals
  • ohheyitsfelicity
    Options
    As weird as it sounds, you may not be eating enough! When I started, I was sticking to the 1,200-1,400 calorie range. I was gaining - I went from 179 to 190. I've bumped my calories up to 1, 500 or I simply just eat super healthy until I feel full. Since I've started doing that, I'm losing around 2-3 pounds weekly.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    As weird as it sounds, you may not be eating enough! When I started, I was sticking to the 1,200-1,400 calorie range. I was gaining - I went from 179 to 190. I've bumped my calories up to 1, 500 or I simply just eat super healthy until I feel full. Since I've started doing that, I'm losing around 2-3 pounds weekly.
    Sorry but you didn't gain 10 lb eating too little. That defies science.
  • gabbymom2
    gabbymom2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I am about the same weight and hight. Open your diary so we can take a look. I eat about that much with lots of protein.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    that's it.

OP, you're eating more than you're burning. Somewhere there's a number that's wrong. Weight loss is, in essence, a mathematics problem. A variable is incorrect in your calculation.

Not to mention, 1400 calories for a really active 24 year old? Why are you torturing yourself?
  • stephanniehall
    stephanniehall Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    that's it.

OP, you're eating more than you're burning. Somewhere there's a number that's wrong. Weight loss is, in essence, a mathematics problem. A variable is incorrect in your calculation.

Not to mention, 1400 calories for a really active 24 year old? Why are you torturing yourself?

This ^^
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Get a scale and start weighing your food and track your workouts better. You are at least doing one wrong if not both.
  • jamilyna
    Options
    That is very discouraging - but I hope you continue to workout. Even if you don't lose weight - you are not gaining. Being fit at your weight sure beats not being fit at your weight. How about measurements - have those changed? Just be absolutely sure to watch your portion sizes, eat real food including 5 servings of vegetables per day and don't drink your calories - (water only). Best of luck to you!
  • atizarb
    Options
    I am having the same problem. I am eating super healthy (I am following a vegan diet) and working out 3- 4 times a week. I have not lost a lb. I am eating 1200 calories a day. I am 5' 6" and 183lbs I have 19% body fat. I am loosing inches but not weight. Please help...
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    This. Any medical issues aside, you are mist likely underestimating calories in and overestimating exercise calories.

Weighing you food using measuring cups and eyeballs are inaccurate most of the time. Get a heart rate monitor if you can afford it or eat only a portion of your exercise calories back. Never believe gym machine calorie counts. For example, I was at a gym the other day where I'd never been and use a Norditrack treadmill to walk. A half hour at 4.5 mph and the machine gave me a 400 calorie burn. Yeah right, they just wanted me to continue using their machine. Well, I know better because my heart rate monitor gave me around 74.

Please open your diary so we can be more specific.

EDITED because it's tough typing on a pad.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    This. Any medical issues aside, you are mist likely underestimating calories in and overestimating exercise calories.

Weigh you food because measuring cups and eyeballs are inaccurate mist of the time. Get a heart rate monitor if you can afford it or eat only a portion of your exercise calories back. Never believe gym machine calorie counts. For example, I was at a gym the other day where I'd never been and use a Norditrack TREADMILL to walk. A half hour at 4.5 mph and the machine gave me a 400 calorie burn. Yeah right, they just wanted me to continue using their machine. Well, I know better because my heart rate monitor gave me around 74.

Please open your diary so we ca. Be mire specific.

+1
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Your math is wrong somewhere.

Fix your math.

Lose weight.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem. I am eating super healthy (I am following a vegan diet) and working out 3- 4 times a week. I have not lost a lb. I am eating 1200 calories a day. I am 5' 6" and 183lbs I have 19% body fat. I am loosing inches but not weight. Please help...
    Losing inches is good. However, 19% body fat sounds really low for a female of your weight. Have you had you bf measured? If so, by whom?
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options

Eating more than your burning. Vegan doesn't make a difference. I by NO MEANS am being mean by saying this...but I don't THINK you can be 19% BF and be 5ft 6 and 183 pounds. I am 148 at 5 ft 6 and pretty muscular...I'm 21 or 22%.

I'd refigure your numbers and give it another go. You will get this!!
  • abble_pie
    abble_pie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    eat more fiber!!
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Get a scale and start weighing your food and track your workouts better. You are at least doing one wrong if not both.

^This. You will be amazed at how much progress you will make purely from doing these two things. Trust me on this one.
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    ChristinaOrtiz23 Posts: 1,546 Member
    Options
    losing*

and i agree with the not eating enough! sounds crazy but i seen so many people upping there intake after they hit a plateau and losing again!! good luck hun!!
  • ivery28
    ivery28 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Just an idea... instead of weighing yourself measure yourself! It seems that if you are working out that often a week, you could be losing fat and just gaining muscle. So you wont see it as much on the scale but you will see it in the shape of your body... Just a thought!
  • eyecandyrayce
    eyecandyrayce Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I had the exact same problem and it was driving me crazy. Then I cut the sodium in my diet down and all the weight came off in a week. An entire 2 months of dieting in 1 week. It was pretty crazy to watch the scale go down that fast.