How do you handle going out to eat at restaurants?

Hello -

Just wondering what other people do when they know ahead of time they will be going out to eat.
Like do you look up the menu online?
Always order lean meat or salad?

That sort of thing.

Thanks!

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Hello -

Just wondering what other people do when they know ahead of time they will be going out to eat.
    Like do you look up the menu online?
    Always order lean meat or salad?

That sort of thing.

Thanks!
    I do look menus up online. I eat whatever I want, but I also make it a habit to eat in moderation no matter where or what I eat.
  • I don't worry about it.
  • DrWhoodles
    DrWhoodles Posts: 145 Member
    I always try and see ahead of time if there's nutritional information available. I also try and make suggestions on where to go based on places I know have things I love that are still within my calorie range - for example the bangkok curry and noodles and company or the salad at chipotle.

If you really don't have access to the information then try to minimize your caloric intake but still enjoy yourself. Get water to drink and skip the appetizers unless you can work it into your meal. Look for things that are steamed and have ingredients you recognize. Then do your best to log it, enjoy the company, and move on with life!
  • starsandowls
    starsandowls Posts: 55 Member
    If the information is available, I try to plan my meal exactly. If just a menu is available, I look it over ahead of time. If there's no nutritional info available, I just order salad and white fish, drink a lot of water, and hope for the best. The bloat from so much salt in restaurant food kills me more than the sauces.
  • eyecandyrayce
    eyecandyrayce Posts: 260 Member
    Like everyone else I try to see if they have a menu online with nutritional information before I go. By the time I sit down I don't even need a menu because I've already planned my meal and entered the calories.

If they don't have info online, I base it on generic information.
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 604 Member
    I have one piece of bread, not the whole basket, one plate of salad, not the whole bowl. I do treat myself to anything I want, but will stop when I'm full now and take the rest home. I don't eat out very often so I can indulge once and a while, and don't worry about it. Just get back to it the next day.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member
    I eat out quite rarely, so I'm happy to eat what I want and go over my target. It doesn't make much difference in the long run.

Of course, if you're eating out more often you may need to take a different approach.

Whatever you do, make sure to log it. For difficult to log meals, like a Chinese buffet, I have logged it once and use that as the basis for a guess next time round, making sure to guess at the higher end. I also sometimes take a day off logging to rest the brain - if I do that I log the day as 4000 calories so I know I've made a dent in my progress - that keeps me careful for a while afterwards.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    When I was losing I generally didn't worry about it. I don't eat out that often and it was even more rare when I was losing. Being that it was such a rare occasion, I just generally enjoyed myself and tried to make good decisions. In the long run, it's pretty irrelevant really.

My wife and I typically split and entree or only eat about half of what is on our plate these days; both of our stomachs have shrunk and we just can't eat that much food anymore at one sitting. Keep in mind that a typical restaurant portion is about double the recommended serving size...you can pretty much count on 800-1000 calories for a typical entree pretty easily.
  • kellymac518
    kellymac518 Posts: 132 Member
    i try to look things up on the online menu... a lot of chains have nutritional information included if you search for it... some of the local places don't have that though so it is a little bit more of a guessing game. i always try to plan out what i am going to eat before i get there to make sure it fits into my calories and macros for the day
  • Kimmers411
    Kimmers411 Posts: 44 Member
    I try to look at the menu and nutritional information online (when available) before I even go to the restaurant to put together a meal that works in my calorie range. And I always ask for a to-go box at the beginning and put aside at least half of my meal as soon as it comes (when I order something that is definitely two or three meals worth of food), that way I don't eat too much because I have only left myself the portions I want rather than continuing to graze once I'm not really hungry anymore.
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    I look up the menu on line.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    I order whatever I want, but try to take half home for lunch the next day. I actually like stretching a good restaurant meal to last two days instead of one. :bigsmile:
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Unless I'm somewhere like a Hibachi place (where I know it's a calorie bomb and it's so infrequent that I don't care) I always check out the menu online. If the nutrition information isn't available I will not eat any sauces that say "creamy" or "buttery". I do not EVER order hamburgers then because they are way too hard to accurately predict. If it's a sandwich place I'll typically get a grilled chicken, no sauces, no butter on the bun. I often only eat half the bun as well as they are gigantor. I also skip fries (OK so I take one or two from my husband :))

Avoid anything crispy, fried, creamy, loaded.

Once you look at enough menus and nutritional information you can pretty much guesstimate what's in there.... or at least figure what the lowest calorie options likely are. If I know my self control is poor that day I will immediately offer large portions to my husband or ask for a box.

The places that kill me are the ones that have bread at the table like Carrabbas or the Olive Garden. For goodness sake I could live off just bread....
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    If i don't work out then I eat half or order a kids meal.

If I work out, then I target 800 calories for the meal. No sodas or beers. Chain Restaurants in my area have calorie counts on the menu. If I'm not eating at a chain, then I use calorie count estimates on similar items in the database.

Example: spinach calzone at Restaurant X is not in database. Use Sbarro Calzone. Now I want a calzone.
  • BetterKimmer
    BetterKimmer Posts: 178 Member
    I order and eat what I want and don't worry about it. I measure, weigh and log almost everything else I eat, so when I get to a restaurant I don't feel bad about it. Now, too frequent of restaurant trips can be a problem, however, so I mostly eat at home. Try following the 80/20 rule and that should help.
  • rachrach7595
    rachrach7595 Posts: 151 Member
    We rarely go anywhere with a menu online.

I try really hard to make good choices. Tonight for example I am taking my son to dumplings for his birthday (his choice). I nearly always have a few steamed meat dumplings and order a big bowl of vegetarian soup noodles and eat about half (because the bowls are massive and very filling). Sometimes I have a small portion of the spring onion pancake :D ... and I fill up on Chinese tea.

I avoid creamy anything.
    I always get the dressing on the side if I get a salad and add it myself.
    I avoid garlic breads or hot chips (fries).
  • KarlyK929
    KarlyK929 Posts: 44 Member
    Like everyone else I try to see if they have a menu online with nutritional information before I go. By the time I sit down I don't even need a menu because I've already planned my meal and entered the calories.

If they don't have info online, I base it on generic information.

^This
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    My husband and I usually split an appetizer and entree.

ETA: we tend to like foodie restaurants. And neither of us eat bread or pasta. So we're not talking huge, fried meals or anything.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Even a lot of independent restaurants at least have a menu online, though often lack nutritional info. If I know what restaurant I will be at, I try to look at the menu in advance and give myself several options so when I get there, I have an idea in place but it is flexible. I like having a plan as it helps keep me from going way overboard. If I don't know the restaurant, then I look at the potential ones and do the same thing, give myself some idea of plans for then. {this happens when I'm staying in a restaurant-heavy area and have no idea what my dinner companion will choose or have no idea what mood I'll be in when I finally get a break to eat}. If there's nutrition info, awesome. Definitely helps a lot in making choices, but again, I totally give myself options in case I get there and really don't want something I thought I had originally wanted.

At the end of the day though, I don't beat myself up or stress about it. I choose what I want, make sure I've exercised (or if I couldn't, that I will do extra the next day!) and/or moderated calories on other days, and just enjoy eating out.

When I first started a year ago, I read and reread menus a lot, made sure I kept it sensible, often got half-servings, and planned an pre-planned days in advance so I could hit my week running and not be thrown by a restaurant scenario [I had to do this a lot, since I traveled 70+ percent of the time and had to eat out a lot]. As I got used to it and ate better and got used to making choices, it got way easier.
  • gmoneycole
    gmoneycole Posts: 813 Member
    I order whatever I want, but try to take half home for lunch the next day. I actually like stretching a good restaurant meal to last two days instead of one. :bigsmile:

^^^ I do the same thing. You can do most things in moderation. Get a workout in and go dancing and you can burn it off too.

Good luck!