Eating 5-6 small meals a day...Who else does this?

Options
Today I began eating 6 small meals per day. A new friend told me yesterday she lost over 100 lbs. eating 5-6 small meals per day.

I have always starved myself to lose weight. I am excited about this, although I've heard of people doing this, but I never actually had someone to break it down to me like she did.

I've broken down my calories for each meal for now, ensuring breakfast and mid-way of my shift is a bit more calories.

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat frequently as I tend to get hangry, so frequent meals help to prevent that.

Point of order: Your friend lost weight by maintaining a deficit, not because of meal frequency or timing.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    All depends on the person. I've done it or at least had small snacks scattered throughout a day, but I tend more to be a light breakfast, light lunch, big 'ol dinner and room for chocolate or popcorn. It's more about your total calories for the day. Some people need to split it up across 5-6 small meals, some don't. Good luck!
  • jen3761
    jen3761 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do! :) I did a great health program where I ate 6 times a day and lost 20 lbs in 5 weeks.
  • eyecandyrayce
    eyecandyrayce Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    All depends on the person. I've done it or at least had small snacks scattered throughout a day, but I tend more to be a light breakfast, light lunch, big 'ol dinner and room for chocolate or popcorn. It's more about your total calories for the day. Some people need to split it up across 5-6 small meals, some don't. Good luck!

This is me as well. Protein drink for breakfast, snacks all day including lunch and then I have a big dinner with some desert as a reward for staying in my calories/going to the gym.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I usually have a pretty small breakfast and then a pretty substantial lunch...and then I pretty much eat 3-4 snacks from just after lunch until dinner and then a pretty good dinner and then some desert.
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I'm a grazer by nature- meaning that I pretty much eat all the time, so the small meals throughout the day (keeping within my macros and calorie limits of course) works better for me. I tend to get grouchy and headache-y if I allow myself to get hungry, and by then I tend to overeat. It's better for me to keep my blood sugar as even as possible all day. Conversely, My fella eats all of his calories in 2-3 sittings each day.

What ever works best for you is the best way to go. Keep a careful balance between eating enough and eating too much, keep it between the extremes and you'll do well. I plateaued at 1200 calories per day, but now I eat more like 1600-1800 and lose an average of .5 to 1 lb per week.

Good luck!
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    ETA: never mind...reported for mods to handle instead. did a bang up job :)
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Me :flowerforyou: It took a bit to get into a rhythm, but now I find I get light headed if I don't eat every few hours simply out of habit. I always have food with me omnomnomnomitynom
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Yup. My trainer suggested it and I gave it a try. I like it. I don't get hungry and if I get tempted by something, I always know I don't have long to wait before I eat something again. Seems to help me.
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I eat about 5 times a day usually...3 full meals plus two snacks. I absolutely can't stand to feel hungry..it makes me cranky.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I've tried it, found that I felt like I was eating all freakin' day...and never got that satisfied "not-hungry" feeling I get from a "real" meal.

I've also done the one or two meals/day thing too. This seems to fit my life better.

(I suspect there's an argument to do the more frequent meals thing while cutting because of protein blah blah blah, but I just haven't tried it because I suspect I'll feel like I never get a real meal.)
  • 40DayFit
    40DayFit Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Today I began eating 6 small meals per day. A new friend told me yesterday she lost over 100 lbs. eating 5-6 small meals per day.

I have always starved myself to lose weight. I am excited about this, although I've heard of people doing this, but I never actually had someone to break it down to me like she did.

I've broken down my calories for each meal for now, ensuring breakfast and mid-way of my shift is a bit more calories.

I like how your food diary is broken down into six sessions with intended max calories for each meal.

I learned from the folks at Precision Nutrition to start thinking about my food in a similar way. To avoid the mindgames that can accompanying calling these "meals," I tend to think of them as "feedings" instead. I have a certain expectation of "meals"--including ideas about volume and type of food. So, I think of them as feeding or fueling sessions (though as a big foodie, I can't really think of food as strictly "fuel"--it's also fun).

My food diary is broken down into three-hour periods throughout the day. I don't have a strict intention to eat six times a day. But I do want to notice *when* I'm eating what I eat. Sometimes I'll eat larger portions or a wider range of foods, and other times I find that I'm eating fewer calories. I tend to eat 4-6 times a day, from the data I'm gathering during this return to tracking. I found that I got a little low-energy when I didn't have some simpler carbs in the earlier part of the day. So now I'm making a point of putting in fruit and some whole grains in the mid-morning or lunch period.

I'm having a great time just bringing my attention to my eating and tracking my food, mood, and times when I eat.

When I move to a more structured fitness plan, I'll use what I'm learning about my patterns to build a solid feeding plan as well. With the right kind of food, prepared in advance and readily on hand, I'm confident that I'll continue to see success without feeling the least bit "deprived."

I'm not on a diet--I'm on a pathway to a healthy, enjoyable, sustainable lifestyle.
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I usually 'graze' I just snack all day. Sometimes I will eat a larger meal, like if I go out with my husband, and don't sweat it.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I do.
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    I prefer 2, but some mornings I'm hungry for breakfast so 3 on those days.
  • Snarkist
    Options

- she lost the weight WHILE eating 5-6 small meals a day.

- she lost weight BECAUSE she was eating fewer calories than she was burning.

- if eating more often makes this easier for you - more power to you. But the relevant information is the total calories you're eating, not how you break it up.
  • liftsforchocolate
    Options
    I always have some type of frozen greek yogurt or cheesecake for breakfast, then postworkout make a giant mix of 3-4 cups broccoli and eggs/chicken/or turkey and have a kale smoothie. I just eat the vegetables/meat multiple times throughout the day. I add in a protein bar and some coffee as a meal too sometimes
  • tinytinam
    tinytinam Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I started four weeks ago and have lost 9 lb so far. Patrick Holford's books are the best to explain this. You need to eat small amounts of good quality carbs though, like brown rice and savory rough oatcakes, and good quality lean protein, lots of green veg and two small portions of fruit a day. The fruit needs to be eaten with a protein like a small handful of seeds or nuts. I am eating a way healthier and more varied diet since starting this. Exercise is really important too though. At least 15 min brisk walk and some resistance exercises like stretches, yoga or cycling whenever possible. The regular eating maintains the blood sugar at an even level so, with a bit of planning and a good store cupboard, you can always have what you need to hand. Good luck!
  • Mav3rick54
    Mav3rick54 Posts: 180 Member
    Options

- she lost the weight WHILE eating 5-6 small meals a day.

- she lost weight BECAUSE she was eating fewer calories than she was burning.

- if eating more often makes this easier for you - more power to you. But the relevant information is the total calories you're eating, not how you break it up.

^^ This

I eat 5-6 smaller meals/snacks a day with my largest meal at dinner time. This works well for me but the main thing is to log your calories in and out and you will have success.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    The regular eating maintains the blood sugar at an even level so,
    That's what your Pancreas does for you. Unless your diabetic you do not need to try and control your blood sugar (you wont be able to) Eat lost of small meals if it fits into your lifestyle but it's not some medical miracle of losing weight I'm afraid.