Running: Treadmills or Outdoors?

Options
What do you prefer? Which do you think benefits you more? I'm a fan of both I just like opinions!:)

Replies

• RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I like outdoors, easier to set my own pace and you get some elevation change. Not ot mention fresh air seems to make it better then in a hot gym.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Both.
    I have a bad left foot and bad right knee.
    Sometimes, I can handle outside.. But after a while, the uneven roads/rocks/etc hurt, so I have to use an even surface.. The treadmill.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Outdoors.
  • RockWarrior84
    Options
    Both.
    Sometimes, I can handle outside.. But after a while, the uneven roads/rocks/etc hurt, so I have to use an even surface.. The treadmill.

I am the opposite, hard ground hurts my knee. I prefer to run on turf or grass if i can
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Both.

I am the opposite, hard ground hurts my knee. I prefer to run on turf or grass if i can
    Well, it's mostly my left foot that hurts because of the rocks. It's really sensitive to uneven pavement and climbing :(
    Haven't gone hiking in a while due:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: to this!
  • fairefaerie
    fairefaerie Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I like running on a treadmill because it pushes me harder. If I run outside, I slow down more and more, but a treadmill keeps me on pace.
  • pikanchi
    pikanchi Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Outdoors, 100%. I'll use a treadmill if necessary (weather or constraints related to time), or if I feel the need to for specific speed work (as there are no tracks near where I live), but I find that I run better, stronger, and for longer outside, even if I'm running loops of a lake. The fresh air, and even the wind and the rain, invigorate me far more than a gym and everything that comes with it.
  • RockWarrior84
    Options
    I like running on a treadmill because it pushes me harder. If I run outside, I slow down more and more, but a treadmill keeps me on pace.

just need to live in Alaska, when the time of year you can run outdoors.....you know bears are out and about. Seriously increases run times lol
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I run out doors because I'm not a hamster
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I run out doors because I'm not a hamster

Rude
  • Ralphone
    Ralphone Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    tread mill 4 miles a day i am a hamster
  • DrWhoodles
    DrWhoodles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    The best is an actual running track, at least for me anyway. I'm also terrified of the treadmill though.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I loath cardio machines....you will only find me on a treadmill if the weather is really bad.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I enjoy running through my neighborhood or on the Detroit River Front. I just love the scenery. Unfortunately, I am currently stuck with the treadmill because I will definitely break bones on all of this ice!
  • theBeesKnees35
    theBeesKnees35 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I like outdoors, easier to set my own pace and you get some elevation change. Not ot mention fresh air seems to make it better then in a hot gym.

completely agree! plus running outdoors gives me plenty of distractions to keep my mind from getting bored and help me get into a "zone"

if I HAVE to run on the treadmill, I like to play with intervals to keep it interesting
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    outside, treadmill only if the weather is unbearable. I've ran in pretty cold temps and snowy/icy sidewalks.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I loved my treadmill until I was running over 5 miles regularly. Now I run outside or if I can't do that I will run laps around the basketball court at the gym next to me. I don't love that but I really can't stand the treadmill anymore.
  • suppakana
    suppakana Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Running on the treadmill is awesome for convenience and privacy, but is horribly, terribly boring. Fifteen minutes feels like an hour.

Running outdoors? Depending on your neighborhood, and how outdoorsy you are, it's never boring. You can interact with people/animals you're going past - and I actually find that's a great way to gauge how hard I'm working. If I can barely spit out a "Hi how are you today" while I'm running past, I should probably slow down. Similarly, if talking is no problem I should probably pick up the pace.
  • shardown
    shardown Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I do sprints on the treadmill and then once a week outside. I think once I get faster, I'll be doing my sprints outside too.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I prefer the outdoors, but my bff bought me a one-year gym membership, so I figured I'd get as much use out of it as possible and do cardio there, too. I'm constantly in fear of tripping and falling off, though, so I feel like I have better form off the treadmill.