Eating Vegetables: Can you eat too much Veggies?

Options

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Unless you have some medical issue or it's making you feel crappy, I can't imagine it being bad.
  • Not on veggies they are low calories. Fruits are different, they contain hundreds of calories and need to be watched if you are aiming for calorie deficit and weight loss.
  • erc89432
    Options
    Too many of the same vegetable can be harmful. It can mess with your digestive system. Change it up every once in a while. Also, like mentioned by a few people above me, try cooking some of your vegetables. I love to stick a pan of broccoli and peppers in the oven for a half hour with a bit of olive oil and garlic. It's delicious.
  • phytogurl
    phytogurl Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I think as long as your other macros are balanced, eating more veggies and fruits is a good thing as long as you don't have digestive problems or other health issues. Cooking veggies can help break down the fiber content so that they're more easily digested and vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients absorbed. Don't get me wrong...I love 'em raw too, and eat them both ways. I actually crave vegetables when I don't eat enough of them!
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Is there any particular reason why you are avoiding starchy vegetables? If there isnt reintroducing them might help slow the weight loss and fuel your marathon training - as would adding fats by adding oil or frying them.

As others have said cooking can help with digesting micronutrients.
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a problem. 1/2 of my eating for the day is fruits or vegetables. could be even more...
  • DaveneGfit
    DaveneGfit Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    As long as your protein and fat macros have been set up correctly and you are hitting those minimums, you can have as many veggies and fruits as you can fit in your calorie goal.

Eta: Make sure you get some extra water in your system if this is a lot of extra fiber for you...

I agree! I have to be careful when it comes to fruit because of the sugar, but eat as many veggies as you want
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Well, if you eat too many carrots you'll turn orange. So there's that, lol.
    I know a guy to whom this happened.

He didn't exactly turn orange, but his complexion was... visibly off. Let's leave it at that.

It happened to my sister when she was a baby and my mum was feeding her too much carrot and pumpkin.

Also heard bad things from eating too much beetroot.

Too much of anything is bad, but I think it is more difficult to get to that point with vegetables, as long as you are eating a varied amount and still eating foods with protein and fat.

The main issue I could see is too much fibre might give you digestion issues.
  • MemphisHellFire
    MemphisHellFire Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    i eat around 10-15 portions of fruit and veg a day but mainly veg and have done for years, it takes time for your body to adjust so introduced more fruit n veg gradually otherwise you may shock your body with all that fibre. i dont eat 100% raw but i try to eat around 50-60% of my veg raw ( i have to cook broccoli, cauliflower and squash) because of the health benefits, my next goal is finding a vegetable evening snack instead of my protein shake.
  • sarzo14
    sarzo14 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    When I started dieting I ate veggies every day, and carrots. After a few months I saw a difference in my fingernails. They were turning orange. And people were asking me whay was that. I just told them it's my nail polish. It's the thing that your body doesn't need that many vitamin A so has to go somwhere and it starts to show on your skin and nails.
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replies.

1. Not eating many fruits because of higher sugar content, but I'm not adverse to a banana or apple in moderation.

2. Most veggies are raw. Last night I did boil some frozen green beans & had a salad. Also not adverse to steaming, boiling, or adding veggies to a vegetable lasagna recipe I made.

3. I do wonder how some consume enough calories eating veggies. I was between satisfied and full after dinner yesterday and was 400 calories under BMR. Then I ran 10 miles, (calories estimated by HRM) so in total I was 1000 calories under TDEE.

Lots to learn, but I am really striving for more nutrient dense foods, and trying to avoid unhealthier options.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    As long as your digestive system can handle it and you're hitting your other macros, eat as many veggies as you like.

But why are you using fat-free dip? Swap it for dip with some fat in it. A lot of the nutrients in vegetables are fat-soluble, so you won't get the benefit of them unless you are also consuming some fat. Also, you're in maintenance but still losing, and training for a marathon... you can afford a few more calories by way of real ranch dressing and hummus.
  • kris727ta
    kris727ta Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    No you cannot eat too much veggies! And potatoes are not bad to eat either (unless you are frying them or topping them with butter or other fatty substance like sour cream). A plant based diet is the healthiest diet on the planet. Plants have protein, too. Watch Forks Over Knives. It will explain a lot -- and does not show nasty graphic info about the meat industry. If you want to know more about that then watch Earthlings, its free on YouTube.

Anyway, most people who don't eat veggies and then suddenly start eating them will have alot of bowel movements because their bodies have been taking longer to move things along. Veggies have a high water content in addition to fiber. I love looking at the amount of nutrients I have consumed at the end of the day.

Something else you can do on MyFitnessPal is enter the info for a day of food you used to eat, then enter the data with an idea day filled with only plant based foods and compare the difference.

There are no diseases caused by vegetables and fruits. In fact "let food be they medicine...."
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is a concern unless you are getting frequent diarrhea or not getting enough fat and protein. You should also keep an eye on the amount vitamin A you are consuming, as not to consume too much, especially if you take a multivitamin.
  • MaJacobs75
    Options
    I usually make sure to have veggies with my meals and fruits as snack in replacements for sweeter sugary stuff. Its possible that you may be eating too many veggies, possibly cut some of it back and add more proteins to your diet. I have found out that too much fiber really wasn't making me feel any better at times.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    You could eat nuts in order to help reach your calorie goal. With so much running, you don't want to eat way too little!
  • Jess732008
    Jess732008 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    As my former Weight Watchers leader told us, "Have you ever heard of anyone getting fat from eating too many vegetables?!?" Eat away!!!

I got fat eating vegetables.... Cause I ate too many calories.... And cause I have an amazing ability to pack food in my belly....

Funny thing is I have never had a problem pigging out on veggies.
  • Jess732008
    Options
    No you cannot eat too much veggies! And potatoes are not bad to eat either (unless you are frying them or topping them with butter or other fatty substance like sour cream). A plant based diet is the healthiest diet on the planet. Plants have protein, too. Watch Forks Over Knives. It will explain a lot -- and does not show nasty graphic info about the meat industry. If you want to know more about that then watch Earthlings, its free on YouTube.

Anyway, most people who don't eat veggies and then suddenly start eating them will have alot of bowel movements because their bodies have been taking longer to move things along. Veggies have a high water content in addition to fiber. I love looking at the amount of nutrients I have consumed at the end of the day.

Something else you can do on MyFitnessPal is enter the info for a day of food you used to eat, then enter the data with an idea day filled with only plant based foods and compare the difference.

There are no diseases caused by vegetables and fruits. In fact "let food be they medicine...."

Eat to Live is a great book to read about this too and it is pretty cheap on amazon.com.
  • Jess732008
    Options
    OMG - After yesterday I think the answer is "yes." It was my first day on fitnesspal, after indulging in calorie-dense foods for way too long, so I decided to eat nothing but fruits and vegetables all day. I had a banana, some fresh strawberries, 5 baby carrots, a cup of raw cauliflower, an apple, a raw celery stick, and a bowl of steamed kale. My intestines did NOT know what hit them! LOL I woke up at 2:00am with gas and abdominal pain so bad. I know that it won't be a problem going forward - it was just a bit too radical. Today I'm fine, and hungry. But I plan to stick to my allotted calories if I can stay strong!

I did that before one day during the week and the rest were normal weight loss days. I ended up losing 4lbs that week.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Check out ORAC, which is a rating of foods which reduce oxidation. Veggies are gold!