Good weight lifting session for weight loss????

Options
Hey guys! Okay, first I am a gym fanatic but need some help with weight loss. I can't seem to lose 7 pounds. My goal all along has been 7 pounds and I used to do killer cardio (90 min a day) but I realized I wasn't eating all of my calories back and it wasn't helping with my weight loss, my weight just stayed the same. Now I do 45 min of weights and 45-60 min of cardio M-F and one long run on Sunday (10 mile run). But I don't know if what I am doing is a good workout plan, so do you all have any suggestions for weight loss??

My Weight training part of my workout is as follows: leg extension (105lbs), leg press (110lbs), leg curl (75lbs), glute machine (145lbs), squats (45lb dumbbell), seated row (60lbs), pectoral fly & rear deltoid (both 45lbs), lat pull down (60lbs). For the legs I do 6x10, for the arms, its 6x11. I do this only on MWF.

On TTH, I do a 4.5 mile run in the mornings. On Saturday I rest and Sunday I do a long run.

I also eat extremely healthy. Wheat english muffin with eggs/ham in the morning, greek yogurt with an apple, grapes and granola, then celery sticks and peanut butter for lunch, a greek yogurt protein bar for snacks, and then usually a lean meat and veggies for dinner.

Thanks for any help!

Replies

• KatissimusDorsi
    Options
    Assuming you aren't doing isolation exercises for a particular reason, you could really cut down on your gym time by consolidating.

So instead of Leg extension + leg press + leg curl + glute machine + squat, each for 6 sets of 10 (that sounds like it would take a very long time!), followed by Lat pulldown + rows + rear delts, just load up a barbell and do something that takes less time and still gets you good results. Something like a basic Starting Strength routine:

Squat: 3x5
    Bench Press: 3x5
    Bent-Over Row: 3x10
    Deadlift: 2x3

Done.
  • snoodled
    Options
    I recommend a good HIIT session 2-3 times a week. Short intense workouts can be more effective than longer workouts.
  • FitnessLover001
    FitnessLover001 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    It takes about 45 min to do, so that does give me an hour and a half in the gym, which does get time consuming. how much would you recommend squatting?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is primarily determined by what you eat, not what you do.
  • itskristinalynn
    Options
    It looks like what you are doing is pretty good. I would take a look at what you are eating though. A lot of the granolas, protein bars and yogurts have A LOT of sugar in them. If they have over 7g of sugars in them that is way too much. You are making you insulin levels spike and that could be confusing your body. Sugar spikes tell the body to stop burning fat and to start storing it. I love the KIND bars the ones + Protein (They have more protein than many other bars) And FAGE 0% Plain Yogurt. Most Greek yogurt (the flavored kinds) come loaded with sugar. Hope this helps :) Keep up the awesome work at the gym!
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Barbell squat, bench press, deadlift, barbell row, stuff like that.
    Add more exercises for the big muscle groups, ditch all the isolation stuffon the machines.

Get at least 100 grams of protein per day, bodyweight (lbs) in grams protein prefered. No problem if you don't reach it, but try to shoot for that
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Lose weight by eating at a deficit.

Strength train to preserve muscle mass.

how much would you recommend squatting?

However much challenges you to hit your reps. When you can hit your reps with ease then it's time to add more weight.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    TBH if you are just aiming for the weight loss, like others have said, the exercise you incorporate - cardio or weights are irrelevant when compared to the eating aspect - if the calorie count of that is in check, your weight should gradually drop.

Everyone has their own preference - I never really do cardio and go to the gym 5x a week hitting weights (4 of those days are big compound movements followed by machines), then on the saturday I probably walk around 5-8 miles as my job (postman) and count that as cardio...

I lost a lot of my weight never incorporating cardio in the gym into my lifestyle - key is food! :bigsmile:
  • SusanaLdn
    SusanaLdn Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have a feeling that if you go on here and input your stats, you'll realise you're eating way below what you should, but I may be wrong… Also, and although I am not an expert and haven't been doing that well myself (who can be happy resisting pizza?! ;P) there seems to be an agreement (amongst really fit people who have been through the journey) that the last few pounds will be more easily lost at a TDEE-15% rather than greater intake reductions: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

All the best! :)

Oh, yes, and also they say: the last bit of fat comes off with more lifting, less cardio. Give it a go? :)