Logging restaurant food.

Options
How do other people go about logging foods when they have been out for dinner? When it comes to asian style restaurants where dishes are shared, I have no idea what to fill in.

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Guess the ingredients, find similar dishes from other restaurants, anything like that. If it's only once in a while I don't worry too much. We sometimes go to an all you can eat Chinese buffet, I don't bother at all with that. When it's something like a buffet or sharing dishes I don't bother trying to guess, it'll probably just be completely wrong. I just ignore counting, try to eat a bit less/a bit healthier, and start the diet again the next day (or eat less the next few days to try to make up for it).
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Do check the Food Database under the restaurant name, because there's quite a bit in there. But if it is something like a buffet or shared food, then as the other poster said, just estimate. This link has easy ways to estimate....like when it's the size of a tennis ball, deck of cards, CD, etc. If it's a mixture of foods, try to remember the dominant one & enter that if you can't find the right mix....so if it's mostly broccoli, but a lot of other veggies, just enter it as broccoli. Practice estimating at home also. Most people tend to underestimate their portions, but over & over again I find I overestimate. Because of that I figure out what I think it is, then subtract just a little. But definitely try to log it, otherwise it can be pretty tempting to just over eat when you know you aren't going to log it. Although I will say that I try to avoid buffets...a little too tempting to "get your money's worth," but if I do go, I try to limit myself to 1 plate of food & not keep making trips back. If people are trying to decide where to go, I'll try to push for a non-buffet place.

http://caloriecount.about.com/article/when_you_cant_measure_estimate_portions
  • deadyankee
    Options
    Ultimately, what difference does it make what you log? The only thing to concern you should be whether you are enjoying your evening out. Just exercise a modicum of common sense whilst there and don't consume a vast quantity of food and alcohol.

Your body will "log" the accurate impact and, if you take a longer term view than a day at a time then you can mitigate the impact of that single meal through exercise and some calorie trimming.

I really fail to see how and why people fret over the minutiae
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Haha I never been a fan of family style, shared eating. Even with Chinese food, I want only what I ordered and for everyone else to just eat whatever they ordered.
  • uptightoutasight
    uptightoutasight Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yes, thanks. I don't fret about it but I am trying to keep an eye on how I am going and have found logging my food quite useful. I am not worried about eating out as such and still enjoy myself etc but find it frustrating not having a clue about what I really ate.

For instance, on Saturday night I was at a catered party where all the food was Indian and served buffet style. The following night I was at a tapas restaurant. The weekend before that I was eating at a Thai restaurant where the group ordered dishes that were shared amongst us. For me to be at a restaurant where I can just order a meal that I can figure out just hasn't been happening lately and even tracking alcohol is tricky when glasses are refilled constantly. Next Saturday night I will be at a dinner party that I know will be italian so again I won't be logging grilled fish and steamed vegetables or whatever.

Guess I just have to be inaccurate a couple of days per week, whereas I am normally really precise and accurate.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Although I will say that I try to avoid buffets...a little too tempting to "get your money's worth," but if I do go, I try to limit myself to 1 plate of food & not keep making trips back.

I do, as well, but when I do end up going to one, I'll usually fill up strictly on vegetables, or the salad bar. That way, I still have the freedom to go back again and again, but I just don't eat that much calorie-wise. On my last trip to a buffet, I ended up with three (full) plates of cauliflower, broccoli and green beans - I ate maybe 400 calories MAXIMUM, and I was stuffed full of veggies.

No one looks at me twice - people just figure that I'm a vegetarian (I'm not) and don't say a word.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    It is quite annoying. As one poster said, if it is a chain restaurant it might be on the database. Also, a lot of places nowadays will post their nutrition menus online. But as you said...if it was a catered event or a small local restaurant the odds of finding them are slim.

I work with sales people. I frequently go out on lunch dates with customers or the boss caters in on special occasions. If I cannot find an exact measurement, I try to find similar items and guess. Then I tend to burn an extra amount of calories just in case that day.

In my case ... sometimes me going out is a time for me to enjoy. But other times I dont want to and have to! lol so I still try and log it.