BMR, calorie intake, and slight confusion

Options
Yesterday I used a BMR calculator and input my activity level as exercising 3-5 times a week (it's actually 6, but I work at a desk). The amount of calories it spat out for me was 1551, which seems low, though I usually average that amount anyway. I then used the calculator to find out what my daily calorie needs are, multiplied by 1.55, and it told me 2404, which seems high. Since Jan 1st, I have had my daily calories set to 1700, and I frequently come in under that amount, especially on Tuesdays and Thursdays (coming off of 5:2, which just wasn't sustainable for me), though I exercise 6 days a week. I know that in order to lose weight one must eat at a deficit, but I want to know if I'm eating too much or too little. Also, should I have input my activity level the way I did? I figured with the amount that I work out it sort of balances, but like I said, I have a desk job for 8 hours a day. Can anyone give me their opinion? My diary is open, though if you look through it, prepare for some spotty logging on weekends. Most of my calories on Saturdays and Sundays come from wine. :-)

Replies

• MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Which calculators are you using?
  • Dfracassa
    Dfracassa Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Which calculators are you using?

I'm using the one from this site: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    If you are not losing weight and looking for a reason, the first step would be to accurately log... even on the weekends.. even the alcohol. You could very easily drink up your entire week's deficit with your wine.

BMR is the amount of calories your body would burn if you did nothing but breath and live. That's your body's functions.
    Adding in the activities that you do through the day would bring you up to TDEE.

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

The two calculators above are the generally accepted around here. Use both and take an average of the two and then pull off the percentage that you want to use to maintain a deficit. :)
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Use the calculators to determine your TDEE (maintenance calories) and BMR (base calories for existence). Eat at a deficit to the TDEE number. Your ticker shows you wanting to lose 11 pounds. You could start using a 200 - 250 calorie deficit to your TDEE. That would have you losing approx. .5 to 1 pound a week. You can work the numbers until you are losing.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you. You're eating 1,700 calories and according to your ticker you're not losing. Everybody's different, so the only way to know if 1,551 calories will work for you is to try it for a few weeks. If you're still not losing, weigh your food. If you're still not losing after that, eat back half your exercise calories.

According to your profile, you're 5'7" and weigh 165 lb. Your goal should be set no higher than 1 lb. per week; .5 lb. would be a healthier goal.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Dfracassa
    Options
    Use the calculators to determine your TDEE (maintenance calories) and BMR (base calories for existence). Eat at a deficit to the TDEE number. Your ticker shows you wanting to lose 11 pounds. You could start using a 200 - 250 calorie deficit to your TDEE. That would have you losing approx. .5 to 1 pound a week. You can work the numbers until you are losing.

I actually want to lose 15 pounds, but I'd take 5 at this point. I have only gained weight so far this year. I just used the Scooby calculator, and it tells me I need to eat 1915 calories a day in order to lose weight, which I did for a while last year, with no results. It's not a huge addition, so I will try it out.
  • serindipte
    Options

I actually want to lose 15 pounds, but I'd take 5 at this point. I have only gained weight so far this year. I just used the Scooby calculator, and it tells me I need to eat 1915 calories a day in order to lose weight, which I did for a while last year, with no results. It's not a huge addition, so I will try it out.

You are not logging accurately enough to know if your current calorie goals would help you lose weight or not.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    It looks like you inputed activity 2x. You set an activity level through MFP and multiplied by 1.55. Set your activity level to sedentary and then multiply by 1.55
  • Dfracassa
    Options

You are not logging accurately enough to know if your current calorie goals would help you lose weight or not.

I think I am, actually -- this isn't my first time on this site, and it isn't the first time I've changed up my calorie goals. I just wanted to know if I had input my information accurately because I have been at a plateau for two months.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I used a BMR calculator and input my activity level as exercising 3-5 times a week (it's actually 6, but I work at a desk). The amount of calories it spat out for me was 1551, which seems low, though I usually average that amount anyway. I then used the calculator to find out what my daily calorie needs are, multiplied by 1.55, and it told me 2404, which seems high. Since Jan 1st, I have had my daily calories set to 1700, and I frequently come in under that amount, especially on Tuesdays and Thursdays (coming off of 5:2, which just wasn't sustainable for me), though I exercise 6 days a week. I know that in order to lose weight one must eat at a deficit, but I want to know if I'm eating too much or too little. Also, should I have input my activity level the way I did? I figured with the amount that I work out it sort of balances, but like I said, I have a desk job for 8 hours a day. Can anyone give me their opinion? My diary is open, though if you look through it, prepare for some spotty logging on weekends. Most of my calories on Saturdays and Sundays come from wine. :-)

okay after you got your total of 1551, and then multiplied by 1.55 and got that total of 2404 you then need to figure out what deficit you want to subtract from that total to lose weight. What I mean is if you want to lose one pound then you need to minus 500 from the 2404. if you want to lose two lbs then minus by 1000. (it takes 3500 calories to lose just one lb and the average is 500 X's 7 days) it looks to me like you should eat either 1904 to lose one lb a week or 1404 to lose two lbs a week. To get this exact number on your settings change goals to custom and input the number you choose to eat. THat is what I gather because I am close to that too, and its higher than what mfp gives me as well.
  • Dfracassa
    Options
    It looks like you inputed activity 2x. You set an activity level through MFP and multiplied by 1.55. Set your activity level to sedentary and then multiply by 1.55

On that bmr-calculator site, you mean? I read the directions, and it said to put in your age, weight, height, blah blah, and then multiply the number you got by 1.55, if that's your activity level.
  • Dfracassa
    Options

okay after you got your total of 1551, and then multiplied by 1.55 and got that total of 2404 you then need to figure out what deficit you want to subtract from that total to lose weight. What I mean is if you want to lose one pound then you need to minus 500 from the 2404. if you want to lose two lbs then minus by 1000. (it takes 3500 calories to lose just one lb and the average is 500 X's 7 days) it looks to me like you should eat either 1904 to lose one lb a week or 1404 to lose two lbs a week. To get this exact number on your settings change goals to custom and input the number you choose to eat. THat is what I gather because I am close to that too, and its higher than what mfp gives me as well.

Thank you! Most helpful answer. I have moved my numbers up to 1900, and I will work extra hard.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    I ran your numbers and came up with this... you seem to be on the right track.

Mifflin - St Jeor Formula

10 x weight (kg) + 6.25 x height (cm) - 5 x age (y) - 161

10 x 75 + 6.25 x 170 - 5 x 29 - 161

750 + 1060 - 145 - 161 = 1500 (BMR) x 1.55 (activity factor) = 2325 (TDEE) - 500 (little over 20% deficit) = 1825
  • serindipte
    Options

I think I am, actually

Considering this:
    My diary is open, though if you look through it, prepare for some spotty logging on weekends. Most of my calories on Saturdays and Sundays come from wine.

And this:
    I have been at a plateau for two months.

Really?
  • Dfracassa
    Options

I think I am, actually

Considering this:
    My diary is open, though if you look through it, prepare for some spotty logging on weekends. Most of my calories on Saturdays and Sundays come from wine.

And this:
    I have been at a plateau for two months.

Really?

You know how I lost weight when I was 10 years younger? Not eating. Now, I can't not eat because I have people shoving food in my face all the time on here, telling me "eat more to weigh less," and you know -- it's not that easy anymore. But I am trying pretty hard, and I have been working out since I was in high school -- lifting weights. I am not an idiot; I know what I'm doing for the most part, and I know when I make mistakes. Honestly, all I thought about that weekend wine quip was that it was funny. Apparently, I was wrong. A plateau isn't the end of the world, but it is frustrating. I don't appreciate your snaps. All I was looking for was a little friendly help, because I like the MFP community, and thought someone on here might be able to answer my question. Everyone else seemed to be helpful.
  • Dfracassa
    Options

750 + 1060 - 145 - 161 = 1500 (BMR) x 1.55 (activity factor) = 2325 (TDEE) - 500 (little over 20% deficit) = 1825

Thank you! I see what you did there, and I can work with that. I have changed my calorie goals so many times, but I am totally willing to try something new. Thanks again!
  • serindipte
    Options
    You know how I lost weight when I was 10 years younger? Not eating. Now, I can't not eat because I have people shoving food in my face all the time on here, telling me "eat more to weigh less," and you know -- it's not that easy anymore. But I am trying pretty hard, and I have been working out since I was in high school -- lifting weights. I am not an idiot; I know what I'm doing for the most part, and I know when I make mistakes. Honestly, all I thought about that weekend wine quip was that it was funny. Apparently, I was wrong. A plateau isn't the end of the world, but it is frustrating. I don't appreciate your snaps. All I was looking for was a little friendly help, because I like the MFP community, and thought someone on here might be able to answer my question. Everyone else seemed to be helpful.

Believe it or not, I am not trying to snap at you or be mean or anything of the sort. I am simply pointing out that there is absolutely no reason you shouldn't be losing weight at 1500/1550 calories per day unless you are overcompensating on the weekends when you aren't tracking. It was a friendly suggestion that you consider logging every day, including the wine so you will have an accurate view of why your weight isn't coming off.
  • J72FIT
    Options

Thank you! I see what you did there, and I can work with that. I have changed my calorie goals so many times, but I am totally willing to try something new. Thanks again!

Welcome :)

I looked at your macros and they look good... plenty of protein and fat with the right amount of carbs to fuel the activity.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    And you should absolutely log every day...
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    And you should absolutely log every day...

This. If you are doing everything right all week long, but you're still not losing, the next step is to look at the unlogged weekends. Try logging them for a month and see what you're doing. You might be undoing all the hard, hard work you do all week. Best of luck.