BMR, calorie intake, and slight confusion

Options
2»

Replies

• Dfracassa
    Dfracassa Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    You know how I lost weight when I was 10 years younger? Not eating. Now, I can't not eat because I have people shoving food in my face all the time on here, telling me "eat more to weigh less," and you know -- it's not that easy anymore. But I am trying pretty hard, and I have been working out since I was in high school -- lifting weights. I am not an idiot; I know what I'm doing for the most part, and I know when I make mistakes. Honestly, all I thought about that weekend wine quip was that it was funny. Apparently, I was wrong. A plateau isn't the end of the world, but it is frustrating. I don't appreciate your snaps. All I was looking for was a little friendly help, because I like the MFP community, and thought someone on here might be able to answer my question. Everyone else seemed to be helpful.

Believe it or not, I am not trying to snap at you or be mean or anything of the sort. I am simply pointing out that there is absolutely no reason you shouldn't be losing weight at 1500/1550 calories per day unless you are overcompensating on the weekends when you aren't tracking. It was a friendly suggestion that you consider logging every day, including the wine so you will have an accurate view of why your weight isn't coming off.

Yeah, it is pretty frustrating not see the same stomach I had last year...blargh. I moved my calories up to 1900, but I'm still going to keep low on Tuesdays and Thursdays to create a bigger deficit. I hate feeling deprived, but I want this to work, finally. I don't mean to snap. I think I'm hungry?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    I'm still going to keep low on Tuesdays and Thursdays to create a bigger deficit. I hate feeling deprived, but I want this to work, finally.

Nothing wrong with that. Have a couple low days during the week to enjoy the weekends. Helps with sustainability which is by far the most important factor in any fat loss strategy.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to snap. I think I'm hungry?

That could do it! :)

If I might suggest a few minor changes in your day to day...

How is the protein powder working for you in the mornings? Me, I would feel totally deprived if I was just drinking breakfast but it does work for some.

You may want to add some protein to lunch, I go with chicken breast or occasional fish and it makes me far less hungry through the afternoon.

You should lose weight at 1900, too, so if that makes you feel less deprived, then it should work but you are still going to need to focus on the parts you aren't logging. Once you're accurate and honest, then you can tweak and get a more appropriate range for your weekly totals.
  • Dfracassa
    Options
    I'm still going to keep low on Tuesdays and Thursdays to create a bigger deficit. I hate feeling deprived, but I want this to work, finally.

Nothing wrong with that. Have a couple low days during the week to enjoy the weekends. Helps with sustainability which is by far the most important factor in any fat loss strategy.

Thank you, yes, it does make a difference. And regarding the protein -- the hubs suggested 1 gram per pound of lean body weight, so I'm trying to get that MWF.
  • Dfracassa
    Options
    I don't mean to snap. I think I'm hungry?

That could do it! :)

If I might suggest a few minor changes in your day to day...

How is the protein powder working for you in the mornings? Me, I would feel totally deprived if I was just drinking breakfast but it does work for some.

You may want to add some protein to lunch, I go with chicken breast or occasional fish and it makes me far less hungry through the afternoon.

You should lose weight at 1900, too, so if that makes you feel less deprived, then it should work but you are still going to need to focus on the parts you aren't logging. Once you're accurate and honest, then you can tweak and get a more appropriate range for your weekly totals.

The protein shake used to be great, actually. I have it when I'm getting ready for work, at 6 a.m., and it used to tide me over until 12. But now, I noticed I'm getting hungry around 11 or so, and it's getting harder to ignore. I have a Detour bar in the afternoons, but maybe I need to eat, like, half of one in the mornings if I'm getting starved. For lunches, I do try to put protein in whatever I'm eating -- eggs, cheese, that sort of thing. For a while I grilled a bunch of chicken and kept it in the fridge for that purpose, so that's no problem to do again. Do you snack on things like almonds? I hate nuts, but they're so damn good for you, I feel like maybe I should just suck it up and bring some to work.
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    What about some greek yogurt for added protein snacks? Individual servings of it are great though I know not everyone is fan. Also, cottage cheese mixed with fruit or jam is good too. Not too heavy on the calories but great for you and an added bit of protein.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I actually love nuts but to limit myself to a quarter cup is just enough to make me mad so I avoid them most of the time. When I'm looking for a protein snack, I go with egg whites (boiled eggs would work and even with the yolk is only 70 calories), a protein bar, I'm currently enjoying the Fiber One caramel nut. I like deli turkey for snack, too, the cajun spice makes my mouth water and I get it cut at the #2 so it's really thin which means I can eat more slices for the same number of ounces.. yes, ends up being the same amount of turkey but it looks and feels like more. lol