Difference when I eat protein

Options
I'm new to learning about nutrition, so forgive me if this is common knowledge... Yesterday, I ate a salad for lunch with no protein in it, and by 4:00, I was so uncomfortably hungry. I hadn't been that hungry in a looong time. This was the first time in 6 weeks that I hadn't eaten protein for lunch. Is it safe to say that protein satisfies you for much longer than a non-protein meal?

Replies

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for everyone but it's certainly true for me! I tried cereal for breakfast rather than my usual egg whites and was starving by 9 am. Same with lunch, I usually throw a serving of chicken on my salad and, if I don't, I'm hungry long before normal.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I notice a huge difference in hunger if I pick things with high protein, also high fat. If I just have an apple or something, I notice it doesn't really help towards that satisfied feeling.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Protein (and fat) is generally more satiating than carbs, so yep.
  • laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I try to eat 30-35 grams protein with each meal and I'm never hungry!
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I have recently upped my protein and cut back on all the carb-y things I was eating, and I have noticed a much more sustained energy level throughout the day as well as less hunger.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Protein definitely goes towards that "full feeling"

Also, not sure if this is 100% true, but protein is harder to digest and break down than other macros, so you use more calories breaking it down.

The human body is complex!
  • abickford82
    Options
    To me, I'm not surprised you were hungry. I eat every 2 hours all day long, usually. So between lunch and 4 (assuming "lunch" is between noon and 1) that's a pretty big time period. Not the question, but yes...the right portion curbs my appetite.
  • DaveInFL
    DaveInFL Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    This my new goal, to eat more protein so that I don't feel hungry as much. Breakfast is my downfall so I have recently switched to having an egg white omelette with some ham and cheese. I am finding that helps. My only decision now is to have the egg white omelette as well as come cereal, or just stick with the omelette!
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Protein has made a huge difference for me. So happy to read this topic! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • warriorknight
    Options
    Protein (and fat) is generally more satiating than carbs, so yep.

^^^ this. I have protein with every meal these days. The odd occassion when I have only been able to grab toast for breakfast, I am reaching for food an hour later, not good when trying to limit calories
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I have recently raised my protein amounts and lowered my carb amounts and I feel a lot better. I hardly ever feel like I'm starving between meals, have cravings or get that shaky feeling I used to get 2 hours after I ate. I am also not tempted by food people bring into the office anymore. Protein is wonderful!